Why are dealers such a rip off

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Not true. I pay more for cars with the “right” mods all the time. Do you get your money back on mods? Typically no. But nice mods will add a little value to the right car.
Most people that have problems with dealers have themselves to blame. Go in with a chip on your shoulder, wanting retail for your trade and to buy your new car at wholesale is likely gonna result in a “negative” experience almost every time. There is a saying in the dealer world, “buyers are liars”. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve been lied to by buyers/customers. Wether it’s lying about the condition of their trade in, or just flat out lying, saying they are buying your vehicle and either disappear or just drag you along with multiple excuses for days or weeks. Not to mention the customers that come in or call in, wasting hours and sometimes days talking about and negotiating on a car, just to find out they don’t have the money or can’t get financed in the first place. And these people are very aware of their financial situation the entire time. Talk about frustrating....
Are there some bad dealers? For sure. But for every bad dealer, I guarantee you there are 10,000 equally bad “customers”. It’s just something we all have to accept.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
For the most part, I've found good dealers through referral, and when I've been treated properly, have no problems referring people to these "good dealers". I have found that I keep going back to these good dealers, personally, and through further referral. These so called "good dealers", all seem to have a similar quality, and that's top quality people at the top of management, that filter down through the dealership, how "customers" need to be treated. I have followed these people from one dealership, to another, sometimes, switching "manufacturers" in the process. I have also discovered a few "bad dealers", and have steered many potential buyers, away from them, and they too have something in common, people at the top, who treat customers like crap, both in the buying process, and the service area as well.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Not true. I pay more for cars with the “right” mods all the time. Do you get your money back on mods? Typically no. But nice mods will add a little value to the right car.
Most people that have problems with dealers have themselves to blame. Go in with a chip on your shoulder, wanting retail for your trade and to buy your new car at wholesale is likely gonna result in a “negative” experience almost every time. There is a saying in the dealer world, “buyers are liars”. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve been lied to by buyers/customers. Wether it’s lying about the condition of their trade in, or just flat out lying, saying they are buying your vehicle and either disappear or just drag you along with multiple excuses for days or weeks. Not to mention the customers that come in or call in, wasting hours and sometimes days talking about and negotiating on a car, just to find out they don’t have the money or can’t get financed in the first place. And these people are very aware of their financial situation the entire time. Talk about frustrating....
Are there some bad dealers? For sure. But for every bad dealer, I guarantee you there are 10,000 equally bad “customers”. It’s just something we all have to accept.

Very good point about the bad customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

Sounds like someone is rethinking their career decision. Coming from a profession unsullied by ethical or integrity issues, I can say whatever I want.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Nope, just get tired of seeing people put all dealers in a group. There are bad apples in every profession. Car business is no different than any other retail business as far as the amount of bad ones, but a car being a huge financial decision for most, is just more memorable. Further, people also expect the dealers, most of the time, to sell the vehicles at or very close to cost but then also want them to bend over backwards to service them. Like the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”. We get bad services across the board in every walk of life. I get bad service daily at different businesses, eat bad meals all the time, get treated badly by employees in all types of professions, but I don’t go crazy and develop an opinion of everyone in that profession. I just try to avoid those places the next time around.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Damn, grumpy basta$d today

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I must have a very low threshold of satisfaction. I've never had a bad dealer experience.

Howard

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...if they (dealers) have a modified car, supercharged or turbocharged, they upcharge the wazoo out of you and push all the cost of the mods. If you tried to trade that same car to the same dealer, they tell you how the mods make the car less desirable. Would someone please explain that to me?

Short answer: They're car salesmen. Part of their job is to convince you it's YOUR view that's 'unrealistic' in either situation.

It's been my observation that, as a GENERAL rule, history has consistently proven any given desirable, 100% stock, "no stories" car will out-value an identical condition 'modified' example every time...unless there is something very special/unique/awe-inspiring about the modified car (like maybe Steve McQueen was its original or longtime owner). That's just the way it is and always has been 'far back as I can remember due in no small part - and if for no other reason than - the fact that there are more buyers/collectors who desire 'original' cars.

While modified cars DO have their own 'niche' market and DO occasionally sell for a tad more than an identical 'stock' car in the same condition (usually because someone just had to have that particular car for whatever reason), that's more the exception rather than the rule.

Most obvious, lopsided proof? Look at what a factory stock, unmolested '70 Hemi 'Cuda brings vs. a modified one...a '63 "Fuelie" "Split-Window"...Shelby GT500s...etc., etc.

JMHO...OHOMV. :wink

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I must have a very low threshold of satisfaction. I've never had a bad dealer experience.

Howard
Howard in the shark tank.
b678fe6ae7fb36efba84ab71acb447fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Damn, grumpy basta$d today
Not at all :)

Tomcat

GT Owner
I think major brand dealers have evolved to respond to the "general public"...and this forum is populated by enthusiasts that are under-represented by the majority of the population.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think major brand dealers have evolved to respond to the "general public"...and this forum is populated by enthusiasts that are under-represented by the majority of the population.

So are you saying the "high end dealers" are better or worse?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The left seat up front.

I just re-read this thread and don’t quite understand the ‘put upon’ mentality of the car dealers, while ignoring the matter of fact statement from ‘david b’ – “Car dealers have earned their reputations over the years. The public didn’t wake up one day and say, hey we are going to hate car dealers..”

Gentlemen,

Nobody said or even implied that auto dealers felt "put upon". Becoming a franchised new car dealer for a major manufacturer is a very desirable goal but it's a difficult and expensive endeavor. A friend of mine just paid 35 million dollars for a new car dealership that was under-performing in it's market. Men don't spend that kind of money to be "put upon". They do it because if you're good at it it's both gratifying and profitable.

In graduate school I studied managerial economics. In a statistical analysis class my professor said something that struck me as something everybody needs to grasp. "The truth is indifferent to your beliefs, hopes, or wishes." The truth just is. And truth #1 is that virtually everybody reading this thread (GT owners) is not a typical auto buyer. You are all part of the 5% I talked about (Queen Bees) earlier. You may think, wish, or hope that you are like most people and that you are representative of the general population but you are not.

Truth #2 is that auto dealers would go broke quickly if they geared their operations to 5% of the buying public. They must gear it to the 95% and try to get the 5% to an upper level employee (often unsuccessfully).

#3 Auto Dealership management is one of the most studied professions with dealers constantly attending "20 group" meetings with fellow dealers to compare and study the most successful practices. There are over 16,000 new car dealers in the U.S. and it's the most ferociously competitive retail business that exists. Dealers must do "what works" not "what gives people a warm fuzzy feeling".

#4 In a recent national study it was determined that nearly 50% of adult Americans could not come up with $400 to deal with an emergency. Grasp that!! In the richest country in the world about half of adults don't have the ability to draw $400 dollars on a credit card or from savings. They live hand to mouth every month and spend every dime of every paycheck as soon as they get it. A huge # of Americans can't even open a checking account. They use check cashing stores and Pay Day loans for emergencies. Only about 1/3 of Americans have good credit. This is the pool that all businesses must fish in, not just auto dealers.

My take on the “high-pressure dealership outsold the nice-guy dealership”…………….(because we were nice?????????????), is probably better explained by looking at the quality for the sales training. The high-pressure guys most likely ‘followed up’ until they got the deal. It’s ‘Sales 101’. It’s how ‘sales’ works.

In retail automobile sales that's not at all how "sales" works. Selling an automobile to "ma and pa lunch-bucket" that requires negotiating a trade value and securing financing is a completely different animal than the "business to business" or "business to professional" sales that you may be familiar with. Follow up is good but "be backs" are a standing joke in the car business. One sale and delivery NOW, is worth 50 "be backs" no matter how well you follow up. John Q. Public will often continue to shop even after he's made a deal IF he's not delivered on the spot. If he's got shaky credit and you don't deliver him and another dealer does you just lost the deal. He may put 500 miles on that new car and you can't get him financed so you have to get the car back and sell it as used. Tough gig. Successful dealers don't "see what they can sell", they "sell what they can see". Sell what's in stock and deliver it if at all possible RIGHT NOW. That's how successful dealers operate. In retail auto sales that is "Sales 101".

I ‘assume’ the ~6pt margin alluded to covers the cars that are simply ‘commodities’. I am not going to go into detail about the time I purchased my GT (not a commodity, but a called a ‘HALO CAR’ for a reason), but suffice to say, the dealership where I first had a ‘deposit’ of $10K over list deal, tried to jack up the price another $15K a month before scheduled delivery (allowing me the ‘pure enjoyment’ of walking away from the deal we had because they ‘unilaterally’ changed the deal…….in writing). I then spoke with several dealerships that tacked on an additional $70K+ to the list price before finding mine at list.

The exorbitant ‘Dealer Consideration’ practice engaged in whenever a ‘popular’ vehicle comes out (Chevy SSR, Thunderbird, Shelby, Focus RS, etc….) frankly leads to the lousy perception, as well as potentially ‘killing’ the product because people are so disgusted with the practice they simply stay/walk away.

No, the 6% I alluded to covers everything. Losses on some new cars and 18% profits on the most desirable cars that sell for more than MSRP averaged out to about 6% at my dealerships. Here's another indisputable truth. There are only 2 ways to allocate a scarce product. 1-With a price or 2-With a line. Most Ford dealers back in '05 & '06 received only one Ford GT to sell. They all had dozens of buyers but they only had one GT to sell and no way to get more. If a buyer is willing to pay 50K over list and you are not then why do you think you "deserve" the car for 50K less than another buyer is willing to pay? If that same dealer has an abundance of Focus 4-door sedans he may have to sell them at a $1500 dollar loss each to move them. Buyers don't care that the dealer is losing money on the car they bought nor should they. That's just how the market works.

If you built your home for 1 million dollars 15 years ago and the market today allows you to sell it for 2.5 million, are you going to sell it for 1 million or "rip somebody off" for 2.5 million? In a free marketplace with voluntary exchange nobody is ripping anybody off. If you don' like the price of something then don't buy it.

Net Net - My singular experiences were quite the contrary with regards to the various customer’s trying to rip-off the dealer conjectures, and I doubt I’m the only one.

Nobody said you're the only one, nobody said "every" buyer is trying to "rip off dealers" though many do by lying about trade mileage & condition or their credit. Your singular experience is not representative because you are a high net worth individual who is comfortable making decisions. The average Joe is extremely uncomfortable making decisions and there isn't a damn thing that any auto dealer can do about that. If you were an auto dealer you couldn't fix that problem either.

If you go back and read all of my posts in this thread you will understand what happens at the dealer level and why it happens. What I have laid out is not my speculation or conjecture. It's the reality of operating an automobile dealership coming from a guy with a quarter century operating both import and domestic dealerships. I've also laid out how the 5% can have an easy and pleasant experience every time. You can choose not to believe it and you can wish it wasn't true. But that would be like a frequent flyer critiquing an airline pilot's flying ability. I don't care how many times you've sat in the back and observed, or how many good & bad flights you've been on, you don't know what it takes to fly that airliner until you have trained for years and earned the right to sit up front in that left hand seat. I don't care how many cars somebody has purchased, until they have tens of millions of dollars on the line operating a new car dealership they don't have a clue how difficult it is to control all aspects of employee behavior involved in operating such a complex retail business.

The Galpin's, Longo's, and Penski's of the auto world are master operators as skilled at their craft as Joey Hand is at his. But they can't take away the uncomfortable aspects of negotiating, financing, and negative equity in trades. Even the most skillful dentist or doctor can't make everything comfortable.

Today's the day, this is the place, and I'm the man. Buy now and save. Make that deal, and it's all bullshit until the tail lights go over the curb. Cheers.

Chip Beck
Dealer Principal/Owner Operator
Pontiac - GMC Trucks - KIA - Lotus

Tomcat

GT Owner
So are you saying the "high end dealers" are better or worse?
I think they evolve to serve their market too!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Chip,
I think your post is outstanding, and speaks volumes on the business. It's good reading for anyone thinking about being in the business, or who routinely deals with them.
Thanks !

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Gentlemen,

Nobody said or even implied that auto dealers felt "put upon". Becoming a franchised new car dealer for a major manufacturer is a very desirable goal but it's a difficult and expensive endeavor. A friend of mine just paid 35 million dollars for a new car dealership that was under-performing in it's market. Men don't spend that kind of money to be "put upon". They do it because if you're good at it it's both gratifying and profitable.

In graduate school I studied managerial economics. In a statistical analysis class my professor said something that struck me as something everybody needs to grasp. "The truth is indifferent to your beliefs, hopes, or wishes." The truth just is. And truth #1 is that virtually everybody reading this thread (GT owners) is not a typical auto buyer. You are all part of the 5% I talked about (Queen Bees) earlier. You may think, wish, or hope that you are like most people and that you are representative of the general population but you are not.

Truth #2 is that auto dealers would go broke quickly if they geared their operations to 5% of the buying public. They must gear it to the 95% and try to get the 5% to an upper level employee (often unsuccessfully).

#3 Auto Dealership management is one of the most studied professions with dealers constantly attending "20 group" meetings with fellow dealers to compare and study the most successful practices. There are over 16,000 new car dealers in the U.S. and it's the most ferociously competitive retail business that exists. Dealers must do "what works" not "what gives people a warm fuzzy feeling".

#4 In a recent national study it was determined that nearly 50% of adult Americans could not come up with $400 to deal with an emergency. Grasp that!! In the richest country in the world about half of adults don't have the ability to draw $400 dollars on a credit card or from savings. They live hand to mouth every month and spend every dime of every paycheck as soon as they get it. A huge # of Americans can't even open a checking account. They use check cashing stores and Pay Day loans for emergencies. Only about 1/3 of Americans have good credit. This is the pool that all businesses must fish in, not just auto dealers.

In retail automobile sales that's not at all how "sales" works. Selling an automobile to "ma and pa lunch-bucket" that requires negotiating a trade value and securing financing is a completely different animal than the "business to business" or "business to professional" sales that you may be familiar with. Follow up is good but "be backs" are a standing joke in the car business. One sale and delivery NOW, is worth 50 "be backs" no matter how well you follow up. John Q. Public will often continue to shop even after he's made a deal IF he's not delivered on the spot. If he's got shaky credit and you don't deliver him and another dealer does you just lost the deal. He may put 500 miles on that new car and you can't get him financed so you have to get the car back and sell it as used. Tough gig. Successful dealers don't "see what they can sell", they "sell what they can see". Sell what's in stock and deliver it if at all possible RIGHT NOW. That's how successful dealers operate. In retail auto sales that is "Sales 101".

No, the 6% I alluded to covers everything. Losses on some new cars and 18% profits on the most desirable cars that sell for more than MSRP averaged out to about 6% at my dealerships. Here's another indisputable truth. There are only 2 ways to allocate a scarce product. 1-With a price or 2-With a line. Most Ford dealers back in '05 & '06 received only one Ford GT to sell. They all had dozens of buyers but they only had one GT to sell and no way to get more. If a buyer is willing to pay 50K over list and you are not then why do you think you "deserve" the car for 50K less than another buyer is willing to pay? If that same dealer has an abundance of Focus 4-door sedans he may have to sell them at a $1500 dollar loss each to move them. Buyers don't care that the dealer is losing money on the car they bought nor should they. That's just how the market works.

If you built your home for 1 million dollars 15 years ago and the market today allows you to sell it for 2.5 million, are you going to sell it for 1 million or "rip somebody off" for 2.5 million? In a free marketplace with voluntary exchange nobody is ripping anybody off. If you don' like the price of something then don't buy it.

Nobody said you're the only one, nobody said "every" buyer is trying to "rip off dealers" though many do by lying about trade mileage & condition or their credit. Your singular experience is not representative because you are a high net worth individual who is comfortable making decisions. The average Joe is extremely uncomfortable making decisions and there isn't a damn thing that any auto dealer can do about that. If you were an auto dealer you couldn't fix that problem either.

If you go back and read all of my posts in this thread you will understand what happens at the dealer level and why it happens. What I have laid out is not my speculation or conjecture. It's the reality of operating an automobile dealership coming from a guy with a quarter century operating both import and domestic dealerships. I've also laid out how the 5% can have an easy and pleasant experience every time. You can choose not to believe it and you can wish it wasn't true. But that would be like a frequent flyer critiquing an airline pilot's flying ability. I don't care how many times you've sat in the back and observed, or how many good & bad flights you've been on, you don't know what it takes to fly that airliner until you have trained for years and earned the right to sit up front in that left hand seat. I don't care how many cars somebody has purchased, until they have tens of millions of dollars on the line operating a new car dealership they don't have a clue how difficult it is to control all aspects of employee behavior involved in operating such a complex retail business.

The Galpin's, Longo's, and Penski's of the auto world are master operators as skilled at their craft as Joey Hand is at his. But they can't take away the uncomfortable aspects of negotiating, financing, and negative equity in trades. Even the most skillful dentist or doctor can't make everything comfortable.

Today's the day, this is the place, and I'm the man. Buy now and save. Make that deal, and it's all bullshit until the tail lights go over the curb. Cheers.

Chip Beck
Dealer Principal/Owner Operator
Pontiac - GMC Trucks - KIA - Lotus

Wow Chip. My head is spinning with "Dealership 101". Please don't give me a test.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip and excellent educational read as usual.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Chip and excellent educational read as usual.

Agreed, both on the gas-station and car dealership industries. Great read, thx, Chip.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Not sure what truth I fall under but I wish one could spec a car and have it delivered. I'm a buyer, not a shopper.

Car dealerships, like realtors, add cost not value to a buyer.

Oh... and perception is reality.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Agreed, both on the gas-station and car dealership industries. Great read, thx, Chip.

Indeed. Highly informative. I still pass the gas one on and everyone that's read it says they never knew. Now we've got insight into dealers too.