Whipple Power Compilation

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I know different dynos and environments give different numbers even on the same car but since we now have three generations of Whipple superchargers on our gals and I wonder what are the power differences each generation makes. I have a Gen I and have been thinking of a switch to the latest but wonder if the improvement can't be felt by my butt dyno in daily driving as I don't care about a tenth or two in the 1/4.

My Gen I on 91 octane puts out 715 HP at the wheels. What are your numbers and type of gas used?

Revised to update listing of Generation and power output:

GEN I
715 WHP on 91 HeritageBruce
720 WHP on 93 427Aggie

GEN 2
720 WHP on ?? jaxgt
743 WHP on 91 Black GT
825 WHP on 93? soroush
744 WHP on 91 Gulf GT

GEN 3
925 WHP on 104 Rockstar
737 WHP on 93 Waldo

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Subscribing...Looking forward to the responses :thumbsup

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Subscribing as well.

BTW there are other considerations to ponder about this besides HP Dyno numbers. Shadowman can explain it best but i am impressed by the efficency of the larger Gen II Whipple. In a nut shell it's larger volume so you can spin it slower to get the result, thus less heat. Less parasidic loss. I would love to have someone who is MUCH more informative then I on the subject explain it in detail, perhaps Whipple would be a great place to start for answers or Stat's on these differant units.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I am interested also. I was very happy with the 4.0 but never actually dynoed the car. I always ran conservative, but it was plenty strong.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have the Gen 2 Whipple on my car. Running a Ford Racing Exhaust and reportedly puts down about 720hp or so at the wheels. I think upgrading from 1st Gen Whipple to second or third will probably be a pretty small gain, though others will know much better than I. There's a lot of other fun mods you could do with the money you'd spend changing from one Whipple to another.

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
When I get some numbers I will post. All I know for sure is that my car is pulling quite strong with Apollo's 4.0 Gen III and I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have the Gen 2 Whipple on my car. Running a Ford Racing Exhaust and reportedly puts down about 720hp or so at the wheels. I think upgrading from 1st Gen Whipple to second or third will probably be a pretty small gain, though others will know much better than I. There's a lot of other fun mods you could do with the money you'd spend changing from one Whipple to another.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, if the gain is less than 20 to 30 HP, I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Check out the dyno run that netted 715HP and how the car blows the exhaust trap down:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcperformance#p/u/0/T-GoZTFmhJ0

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
FWIW Lethal Performance claims 50 rwhp difference at 19 psi. Of course your Gen 1 would have some value on the used market, so it's maybe $5k to upgrade. In your position it's a tough call.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i bet the differences when hot are greater than when they are cold

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I suspect you could look elsewhere for noticeable power improvements and still have change for a Penske setup and big brakes.

Improved Air Intake is probably good for 25-30hp
Methanol would give you another 40-50hp.
Cams, maybe 20hp
Ridiculously loud exhaust, maybe 20hp

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I suspect you could need to look elsewhere for noticeable power improvements and still have change for a Penske setup and big brakes.

Improved Air Intake is probably good for 25-30hp
Methanol would give you another 40-50hp.
Cams, maybe 20hp
Ridiculously loud exhaust, maybe 20hp

...and laughing gas 100 to 200 HP and much more with an updated fuel system and port injection!

Last edited:

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
743rwhp gen 2 91 pump

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
720hp on Gen I with 93 octane.

The thing you guys are forgetting is that these cars from the factory had about 30hp swing in power. We had people that after a pulley got 650 or so and others were in the 610 range.

Fubar is at what 780 if I remember on 93 with a 4 liter? Now that was early on and he was running out of fuel.

I just put a 21lb pulley on mine for the mile and have a couple of other little bits I'm going to add. I'll post up all the baselines with the 106 octane and then again with 93 back in it. My guess is unless your going to go TT then your bang for the buck is just having a larger whipple on it.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
720hp on Gen I with 93 octane.

The thing you guys are forgetting is that these cars from the factory had about 30hp swing in power. We had people that after a pulley got 650 or so and others were in the 610 range.

Fubar is at what 780 if I remember on 93 with a 4 liter? Now that was early on and he was running out of fuel.
I just put a 21lb pulley on mine for the mile and have a couple of other little bits I'm going to add. I'll post up all the baselines with the 106 octane and then again with 93 back in it. My guess is unless your going to go TT then your bang for the buck is just having a larger whipple on it.

I think Fubar has found he was running out of fuel because of a kinked pick up tube in the tank.

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
925 RWHP on the 4.0 Whipple. This is on 104 Sonoco race fuel. There are also 16 other changes, some more significant than others. My car spent 3 months on the dyno to achieve these results last winter. There was some trial and error plus brain dammage. But we never went inside the motor. Go back months and look at all of the Whipple 4.0 threads. There is a lot of information. It is amazing this day in age that a car can be a daily driver, achieve this horse power and get mid 20's on fuel for highway driving. I have SMOKED everything I have raced on the road. I Love my GT!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
925 RWHP on the 4.0 Whipple. It is amazing this day in age that a car can be a daily driver, achieve this horse power and get mid 20's on fuel for highway driving. I have SMOKED everything I have raced on the road. I Love my GT!

Exactly! Amazing car! :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
plus brain dammage. !

For you or the car?

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
For you or the car?

Both.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
825hp W gen II whipple, 20lbs boost on pump gas. never tuned it for race gas(I suspect it would make 870ish), as I spray a 150 shot which made 962hp. I spray on a mix of 5 gallons of whatever I can get my hands on, my tuner told me its tuned safe enough on pump I just add it for saftey. 16 deg timing on spray 20lbs boost, 11 to 1 AF , built motor with higher comp cams ported heads and wiseco pistons all other internals the same.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
925 RWHP on the 4.0 Whipple. This is on 104 Sonoco race fuel. There are also 16 other changes, some more significant than others. My car spent 3 months on the dyno to achieve these results last winter. There was some trial and error plus brain dammage. But we never went inside the motor. Go back months and look at all of the Whipple 4.0 threads. There is a lot of information. It is amazing this day in age that a car can be a daily driver, achieve this horse power and get mid 20's on fuel for highway driving. I have SMOKED everything I have raced on the road. I Love my GT!

Damn... 925:eek Holy Cow...:banana Is 104 Sonoco leaded? I can get unleaded Unocol 101 around my house so if I ended up with the high 800's, I'd more than happy as I still would like to keep the OEM cats on the car.

Are the Gen III 4.0 Whipples still CA CARB approved?