Whipple Instal

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I was thinking about upgrading the Stock Supercharger to Whipple's new system. I was just wondering if this is as straight forward as it looks or should I let the GT Guys do it?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was thinking about upgrading the Stock Supercharger to Whipple's new system. I was just wondering if this is as straight forward as it looks or should I let the GT Guys do it?

Few things are as straight forward as they look.

I'd have the GT Guys (or Bill, or?) do it if for no other reason than the fact they can get it done in '15 minutes' whereas I'd be messin' with it for WEEKS.

And then there's the lil' matter of the "tune"? :cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

it just depends, the worst part is changing the belt.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, as it seems pretty strait, forward. As soroush said the belts are a Hillary. You should get some short Torx bits to make removing the oil pump belt cover easier. I also loosened both belt tensioners mounts to the block to make getting the belts off easier. Also removed my clamshell to get more space to work. Both these step I understand are not required. The EGR tube has to be massaged into place. I loosened the lower connection to the exhaust manifolds to give it more length. Get a good base tune for the Whipple from Whipple, Torrie, or TonyG, but make sure vendor of your tune is willing to make minor changes if needed. Add an wide band O2 like Innovates LC-1 and verified your A/F ratios on a dyno, or track, then tweak your tune if needed.

You can think of it as just changing a 60+ lb carburetor and replacing your belts. From the work you already done to your GT I would think this is well in the scope of your abilities. Of course writing a check to the GTguys is easier and faster and the down time would be less. Those guys are amazing!

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Like others have said, the most time-consuming part is the belt change. On many vehicles, the SC belt is the outer-most belt. On the GT, it is the inner-most belt. As such, you need to remove the accessory belt and the highly specialized oil pump drive belt. None of this is particularly hard, just time consuming. Make sure you mark the tensioner on the oil pump drive belt very carefully so that you get it back in the right position. Like most other things on the GT, this tensioner is well designed and pretty easy to get back to the EXACT original location. For accessory belt, make sure the ribs are aligned on each and every pulley. You can see ~half the pulleys from the top and the other half from below.... just make sure you have them aligned.

As BlackICE metions, the EGR tube likes to play with your head a little bit and loosening up the bottom end can help you get it aligned to get the threads to start.

Make sure that you use the ARP bolts that Whipple includes as the stock bolts will not longer fit in a couple of the locations. I would recommend that you use Accufab's throttle body and inlet stiffener to get the most from the Whipple.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Who would you have tune it? I would suggest a proper dyno tune.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Make sure the tuner is a modular motor expert.
Such as;-
Hennessey
Heffner
Torrie
All three sponsors of this forum.