What's Going On With All These GT's Being Sold?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Steve, I would not debate your point.

Sad Ford does not have a halo car.
Perhaps with a new marketing head and the impact of our forum we might be instore for a surprise.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I'll take one of each, thank you very much.
That way, my PAFE (Personal Average Fuel Economy) ain't half bad :)

Everyone, sell your GT and buy a Prius! :banana

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
+1. Though a crazy Prius owner, I am not a classic greenie. Holding our national breath, and delaying a massive transition to nuclear power for everything that doesn't have wheels is one of the root issues that limits our economic growth and forces us to risk the lives of the young men and women who defend our country. It's eco-idiocy.
I do believe that for every gallon of gas I can save, day to day, I limit the risk of putting our own people in harms way.

You can thank the greens for our energy situation. If we used nuclear for 75% of our electrical needs like France does..., and tapped our oil resources coupled with fuel efficient vehicles we would not be in this mess.

Only a misguided person taps a home equity loan for anything but to purchase or improve existing real estate. The only excuse would be to finance education.

Folks tapped the line of credit to purchase collector cars, vacations, flat screens etc.

Regarding our FGT's the day Ford comes out with the replacement car pur cars will crash down 40% in value. Ford built to many cars for ours to appreciate. Remember Carroll Shelby's advise, build far less and charge double.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The day will come for the Prius. Eventually, many will realize that they paid about $5,000 too much for an unexciting daily driver, the batteries will start to need replacement, and they won't be able to give them away. So, they'll start their very own environmental impact...

Agreed, just wait till the batteries have to be changed... It will cost more than the car is worth! A new landfill problem.

Ironic isn't it. The Green squad centerpiece is the Prius which is a whole new environmental disaster forthcoming.

Pieces of junk......... I'll take mine in Ming Blue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwsNLWLJELw

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Sad Ford does not have a halo car.
Perhaps with a new marketing head and the impact of our forum we might be instore for a surprise.

Sadder still, is that they created and already have the ultimate halo car. The decision makers in the marketing department just don't realize it for whatever reason.

It has got to be one of the most underutilized assets in the current automotive field.

I would be using it to cross sell most of their product line.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The carnage of environmentalism.

I do believe that for every gallon of gas I can save, day to day, I limit the risk of putting our own people in harms way.

Gentlemen,

And along those same lines, every barrel of oil that environmentalists don't let us drill for, every nuclear power plant whose construction they stop with endless lawsuits, and every refinery they prevent from being built, increases the risk of putting our own people in harms way. Environmentalists have done more damage to this country in less time than any other industry.

Chip

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Well said Chip. As usual I couldn't agree more.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Just for fun......try this perspective. I argue the GT is as rare as the Shelby line. I have had the good fortune of owning each model year Shelby and Boss over the years, plus some other Fast Fords. And boy do I wish I could have kept them all:bored, but to be honest they all drive like poop compared to even a Fox body Mustang.

Approx 13,000 Shelbys from 65-70. ( 1970 were carry over 69's and only 562 cars in 65) So really only 4 years of real production. Slightly Over 3,000 cars per year on the avg.

4,000 GT's from 2005-2006, US production is I believe is 3,700ish. The GT is 3 X as rare, when you look at it from this perspective. You could argue they are all the same though. You could also argue there were only a few real bad boy Shelby's. So lets take a look at the history of one of my old cars that was a non bad boy 69 GT350, yet still a 2 X SAAC gold winner.

the 69 Sold new for about $3,600. During the odd / even gas rationing and rise of the "Pinto" Halo car:thumbsdow it dipped to about $2,900 in 74, I aquired it then, Dad offered me a new V6 Mach1:willy. Ten years later (1979 )it was worth about $5,500. 20 years later (1989) it was worth about $15k, 30 years later (1999) about $45k almost 40 years later 2007 $126k. The market got a bit over heated in the last few years IMO.

You can do the math, but it has gone up more than ten-fold in 30 years. If our cars do half or even 1/4 as well we would all be very happy and so would our heirs.

And a little more trivia:

the Hurst cars were considered beaters and one should stay as far away from them as possible, they were going for less than half the normal 66 at one time. Don't ask how I know. The Boss 429 was considered an odd duck that was impossible to work on or find parts for. The good advise was to stay away...again don't ask how I know. Some good advise I never listened to very well.

If you track the 93 Cobra Mustangs you will find good cars have held their value to window sticker over the years. But it was a one year car with just under 5,000 copies.

The 94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02 were all pretty much the same and had over 45,000 copies, thus they are insignificant today.

The 03 is the stand out car in the group, still sought by racers as they are lighter than the 05 and can make equal power to weight ( unique and likely to be a high priced car 30 years from now). They held value well ......

Until the Shelby came out. The 03 was trumped by a newer, faster better looking car. Exactly what many have suggested plays out in the car resale value game. Now this car is trumped by the KR and Super Snake.

Ford would really have to step up to Trump the GT. GM will not do it now and the ZR1 while unique, does not have the BAM factor, the Viper is on it's way out. The new Camaro or Challenger are not threats. I argue we own the last great American Supercar our generation will see. It and the ZR1 are and will be the high water marks for a long time to come.

We all tend to return to our youth at some point. My 26 year old son and his buddies will be remembering the Vipers, Vettes and GT's as the cars that made their jaws drop more than the 60's stuff. I argue they are tomorrows collectors as us baby boomers will be a bit old 20 years from now when they will be in their prime collecting years. I think the next generation say's it everytime you get gas "Gee mister, I am going to get one of those when I grow up".

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just for fun......try this perspective. I argue the GT is as rare as the Shelby line. I have had the good fortune of owning each model year Shelby and Boss over the years, plus some other Fast Fords. And boy do I wish I could have kept them all:bored, but to be honest they all drive like poop compared to even a Fox body Mustang.

Approx 13,000 Shelbys from 65-70. ( 1970 were carry over 69's and only 562 cars in 65) So really only 4 years of real production. Slightly Over 3,000 cars per year on the avg.

4,000 GT's from 2005-2006, US production is I believe is 3,700ish. The GT is 3 X as rare, when you look at it from this perspective. You could argue they are all the same though. You could also argue there were only a few real bad boy Shelby's. So lets take a look at the history of one of my old cars that was a non bad boy 69 GT350, yet still a 2 X SAAC gold winner.

the 69 Sold new for about $3,600. During the odd / even gas rationing and rise of the "Pinto" Halo car:thumbsdow it dipped to about $2,900 in 74, I aquired it then, Dad offered me a new V6 Mach1:willy. Ten years later (1979 )it was worth about $5,500. 20 years later (1989) it was worth about $15k, 30 years later (1999) about $45k almost 40 years later 2007 $126k. The market got a bit over heated in the last few years IMO.

You can do the math, but it has gone up more than ten-fold in 30 years. If our cars do half or even 1/4 as well we would all be very happy and so would our heirs.

And a little more trivia:

the Hurst cars were considered beaters and one should stay as far away from them as possible, they were going for less than half the normal 66 at one time. Don't ask how I know. The Boss 429 was considered an odd duck that was impossible to work on or find parts for. The good advise was to stay away...again don't ask how I know. Some good advise I never listened to very well.

If you track the 93 Cobra Mustangs you will find good cars have held their value to window sticker over the years. But it was a one year car with just under 5,000 copies.

The 94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02 were all pretty much the same and had over 45,000 copies, thus they are insignificant today.

The 03 is the stand out car in the group, still sought by racers as they are lighter than the 05 and can make equal power to weight ( unique and likely to be a high priced car 30 years from now). They held value well ......

Until the Shelby came out. The 03 was trumped by a newer, faster better looking car. Exactly what many have suggested plays out in the car resale value game. Now this car is trumped by the KR and Super Snake.

Ford would really have to step up to Trump the GT. GM will not do it now and the ZR1 while unique, does not have the BAM factor, the Viper is on it's way out. The new Camaro or Challenger are not threats. I argue we own the last great American Supercar our generation will see. It and the ZR1 are and will be the high water marks for a long time to come.

We all tend to return to our youth at some point. My 26 year old son and his buddies will be remembering the Vipers, Vettes and GT's as the cars that made their jaws drop more than the 60's stuff. I argue they are tomorrows collectors as us baby boomers will be a bit old 20 years from now when they will be in their prime collecting years. I think the next generation say's it everytime you get gas "Gee mister, I am going to get one of those when I grow up".

The only point I need to make, that in the 60's and 70's 99% OF THE BUYERS NEVER PLANNED TO TUCK AWAY THE CARS FOR INVESTMENTS. THAT IS NOT THE CASE TODAY! Think about it, if they did what would the market price for all these cars be today?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I saw first hand (no pun intended) that you are an expert at that Chris!:lol

Hey it made it cough up a towel just in time. I bet hundreds are going off right now in Houston to wipe off guys hands. (Should I have said dry?)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
cobrar1339

I agree with your reasoning. One other contributing factor is the population growth. The population (read buyers) is increasing much faster now than in 1965. Consequently, even though there were 4000 FGT produced which is higher than, for example, the 1000 Shelby Cobras produced between 1962-67, there will be many more buyers in 10-20 years for the FGT than the population increase from 1965 to 1975.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
"The only point I need to make, that in the 60's and 70's 99% OF THE BUYERS NEVER PLANNED TO TUCK AWAY THE CARS FOR INVESTMENTS. THAT IS NOT THE CASE TODAY! Think about it, if they did what would the market price for all these cars be today?"

Very good point to consider, we owned them because we wanted to drive the snot out of them, show em' off , pick up a few chicks and win a few street races. I the later days they were tucked away as a weapon, not an investment.

I think the Muscle cars gained in value or held value in the late 70's as America did not build a product that was worth a darn. You could not look forward to new stuff, you had to look back. My dad owned a Ford Dealer and he could never understand why I would turn down new cars for old muscle cars. I think that holds true until about 1983 / 84 with the C4 vette and the 5.0 Mustang. I bought a new car for the first time in 83, a 5.0 Mustang GT, 200 Hp WOW. Then a C4 TPI vette in 85...Slogan was life begins at 150mph.

In that 10 year span enthusiasts held on to them if they had them, and sought them if they did not. But never saw it as an investment back then, just status. We saw them as a real mans car..and so did the women. I really don't think they changed hands all that much compared to the base Mustangs. But for a different reason than investment. Call It Love. Still lots of first 2nd and third owners in SAAC. Quite a few are passed down like a Ancient sword.

SAAC did the first convention around 1979 in Pasadena. That I think was when we started to realize how special the Shelby cars were. But no one was restoring them really, they were modding them and driving the snot out of them. About that time, I realized the Cobras were getting out of reach for me at $25k -$30k :eek, Lots of custom paint and re-done OE paint in Laquer with a color sanded finish. Polished everything in the engine bay. Great fun. I bet I have 1,000 pics from those events.

You really have to give Rick Kopec and Lynn park a lot of credit for getting us organized and keeping the Shelby alive during those years. Many others followed in their footsteps for the other mfgs. No one sat out the SAAC track events at Ontario or Riverside for fear of a paint chip. The only fear was they did not have the car prepped well enough for the action. You did not wash off the burn out rubber on the rear quarter panel. It was a statement that you had a healthy ratio of testosterone/horsepower. And no one sued SAAC because they could not drive or had some bad luck. Real men, Real risk and taking Real Responsibility in the name of fun, competition and adventure.

So I am 100% sure you are right they were not tucked away for investment, but out of Love for the car, and the heads they turned, status they delivered and the incredible feeling you got driving it. You were the man and no one would argue that point. Bony you are this guy, except with Makers Mark:thumbsup

Humm.......sounds alot like another car we know.

The 500 mile GT will still be worth more than the 50,000 GT. But the 50,000 mile car will find a home with someone that can finally afford one and they will not part with it for many years ( Supply/Demand/Qualified Buyers). I think there will be corrections in the value over the years. The price will not go straight up IMO. But I do think no one here will ever get hurt. I only wish I had Shelby Elites Stable. Nothing I can think of will hold depreication better than these cars even at the low.

I think I will just shut up now and drive.............oh crap it's raining:confused...I really need to drink a lot less coffee:ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great post, guess we will have to wait 30 years and see what will shake out. I will be 90 and I'm sure happy if I'm still able to shake old Winston... :)

My point and concern is that folks should buy the FGT for what it is, a great machine and not an investment.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Great post, guess we will have to wait 30 years and see what will shake out. I will be 90 and I'm sure happy if I'm still able to shake old Winston... :)

My point and concern is that folks should buy the FGT for what it is, a great machine and not an investment.

Drive it and enjoy every minute of it. If you ever sell it and should our FGTs have appreciated, then what a terrific bonus on top of an incredible ownership experience.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Turn On............

The TV commercial says: when you turn your car on does it return the favor? 1952 my first car, 40 Ford cpe. TurnON........FGT....makes your juices flow.......How sweet it is..........

Attachments

• Silverstone Lo Res.jpg
    Silverstone Lo Res.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 170

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Guys, its winter. There are always gonna be more cars like these getting sold in the winter as they are not drivable in half of the US states in the Winter. I think this spring is gonna be a CRAZY time for the GT market. I think we will see GTs selling for prices well above what they have been for the last 18 to 24 months. I think this is gonna be the best spring for the GT that anyone has seen yet......

Only time will tell, but if they are doing this well in the dead of winter you better believe there is a very strong spring in store for them. Just my $.02

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
not green slogan

I just saw a bumper sticker on a Hummer that read:

"Drive more hybrids - I need your gas!"

Ed

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

Ed

Good one :rofl

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Guys, its winter. There are always gonna be more cars like these getting sold in the winter as they are not drivable in half of the US states in the Winter. I think this spring is gonna be a CRAZY time for the GT market. I think we will see GTs selling for prices well above what they have been for the last 18 to 24 months. I think this is gonna be the best spring for the GT that anyone has seen yet......

Only time will tell, but if they are doing this well in the dead of winter you better believe there is a very strong spring in store for them. Just my $.02

+1, I agree shelby, what do you think Im guessing in the 215 to 220 for low mile rare colors

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Ed

Mrs. Spirit needs one of those stickers for her H1, but it needs to say DIESEL.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol