What are these lights for?

H

HHGT

What were these lights for? If they were for "Night Testing", then why test at night?

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 503

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They appear to be Rally Road Lamps.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
They appear to be Rally Road Lamps.

Nope....they're nipples. That's a female GT you got there bubba!:ack

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Note the Gurney Bubble also....

Richard Hille
The GT School

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Just for...

I'm pretty sure they're just a styling feature!

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I guess thats one way to fix the headlight availability problem, gut them out and put in a 1986 crown victoria headlight :)

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Fashion Statement ....... I likey.

Joey ............ put them on CP-1. :biggrin

--

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Looks like a mockup. The front bonnet doesn't look to have seams. There is a fire extinguisher in the engine bay, weird side mirrors, no fog lights (kind of) old school headlights, it could just be a different front clip.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
dash too is different

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Don't you guys know anything! That's a NY city fire chiefs quick response Vehicle.:wink

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
That's one of the development mules that were driving around in '03.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/05/gt40spy/

lead.jpg

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
What it really appears to be is the Mule that they ended up painting red with the number 1 in the number balls. I saw that vehicle when Neil Hannemann was testing it at Laguna Seca and it has the same hood pins and side marker lights.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Mark McGowan

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 31, 2006
This is Work Horse 4, was used for brake development work. One of those tests was LA city traffic which looks at wear, brake noise and dust. The noise test was run in the LA storm water basin at night because the car ran during the day. The work horse used Ford Fairmont head light and were terrible because they had to shine through the fabricated head light covers. So additional lights were added to make night testing safer. This is also the car that ended up on the roof of the factory. Have a good story about how it ended up there but you need to ask me at the ralley

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mark, how did you dig up a 2 year old post? Great post as always bud!!!!!!!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This is Work Horse 4, was used for brake development work. One of those tests was LA city traffic which looks at wear, brake noise and dust. The noise test was run in the LA storm water basin at night because the car ran during the day. The work horse used Ford Fairmont head light and were terrible because they had to shine through the fabricated head light covers. So additional lights were added to make night testing safer. This is also the car that ended up on the roof of the factory. Have a good story about how it ended up there but you need to ask me at the ralley

Hey Mark, Interesting tid bit .. I hope you will be in NOLA so we can ask you ! Thanks for sharing.. Don't worry about digging up an old post,, some one just pulled up one on mine that is 5 years old !

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mark - let's discuss this over a martini in NOLA. I feel a limo ride is in order again!

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
This is Work Horse 4, was used for brake development work. One of those tests was LA city traffic which looks at wear, brake noise and dust. The noise test was run in the LA storm water basin at night because the car ran during the day. The work horse used Ford Fairmont head light and were terrible because they had to shine through the fabricated head light covers. So additional lights were added to make night testing safer. This is also the car that ended up on the roof of the factory. Have a good story about how it ended up there but you need to ask me at the rally.

Mark,

The picture with the round headlights on the bumper looks like it was taken at the Volvo proving ground in Arizona. Is that the same car that made history as the first GT to crash?

Chip

Mark McGowan

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 31, 2006
This has to be apg yuca az as we had no vda at volvo at that time. Work horse 1 (the red one in in Shelby meseum) was number one to get dinged. WH4 ding was terminal have the photo's to prove it Ed alway willing to ride in the limo.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
No comment...