Well that was fun

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Got to meet with Raj Nair today and take a tour of the basement GT studio at the PDC. Very cool to see the various iterations as they refined the design. It's also really amazing that nothing ever managed to escape that facility in the year leading up to reveal.

That's about all I can say. :lol

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Life well lived.

Vince H

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Very cool Dave! Glad you got the tour...

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
When I grow up... I wanna be Dave!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
What's the infamous line?

This thread is useless with out pictures!

Yes I'm sure no pictures were permitted......

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Let's tie him to a chair, pants him, pour drinks down him and make him look at pictures of C3 Corvettes until he spills the beans at rally 10.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Good one, we can't water/alcohol board anymore, Syr Obamanos outlawed it :lol :lol :lol

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Got to meet with Raj Nair today and take a tour of the basement GT studio at the PDC. Very cool to see the various iterations as they refined the design. It's also really amazing that nothing ever managed to escape that facility in the year leading up to reveal. That's about all I can say. :lol

Was there a vast departure from the earlier PHX design studies, or were the major elements of the show car always present? Also, did Raj mention when they actually got the green light to start the project? I'm curious to know if this has been a goal for the previous 7 years leading up to Lemans semi centennial, or if it was a more recent ambition.

Still hard to believe that they managed to keep it a secret until the moment of reveal at NAIAS.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Let's tie him to a chair, pants him, pour drinks down him and make him look at pictures of C3 Corvettes until he spills the beans at rally 10.

Let's cut to the chase -- DBK secretly relishes the Camaro brand and has a Z28 stored away in a nearby garage that he drives at night.

There - the secret is out!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Let's cut to the chase -- DBK secretly relishes the Camaro brand and has a Z28 stored away in a nearby garage that he drives at night.

There - the secret is out!

NSFW - Found DBK on you tube with his CamaRow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Z4PHH1Mzo

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Just amazes me that DBK can look Raj in the eye and pretend he's a Ford guy. ;- ))

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Was there a vast departure from the earlier PHX design studies, or were the major elements of the show car always present? Also, did Raj mention when they actually got the green light to start the project? I'm curious to know if this has been a goal for the previous 7 years leading up to Lemans semi centennial, or if it was a more recent ambition.

Still hard to believe that they managed to keep it a secret until the moment of reveal at NAIAS.

No, the departures weren't vast. More like subtle variations on a theme. There was way less variation with PHX than between the early Petunia cars and the finished 05 GT. Those hardly even look related. The new car mainly has a lot of little refinements you would expect in pursuit of aerodynamic efficiency, cooling, etc. The front end was fairly different early on, but we're still talking degrees here. The fact that the car looks so good while being so performance oriented is a pretty stunning achievement.

Definitely a very recent ambition.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
we gota buy you one of those Spy camera Pens !!:secret::secret:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Dave,

Great for you, us, and the Forum that Ford is keeping you in the loop.

Chip

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
No, the departures weren't vast. More like subtle variations on a theme. There was way less variation with PHX than between the early Petunia cars and the finished 05 GT. Those hardly even look related. The new car mainly has a lot of little refinements you would expect in pursuit of aerodynamic efficiency, cooling, etc. The front end was fairly different early on, but we're still talking degrees here. The fact that the car looks so good while being so performance oriented is a pretty stunning achievement.

Definitely a very recent ambition.

So were there any development mules (frankenstein mustangs or the like), or were/are/will all the test cars be Phoenix GTs?
Knowing what you know, is there any chance of Forum members getting a tour of the manufacturing/assembly facility?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I spent 3 years in one of those 'Underground Basement Studios' when I was the Body Engineering Program Manager on the DN-101 ....which was code for 'Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable.'

They are so far underground , that we had a 'weather-board' in the main conference room so that we knew what was going on "Above-ground". :):)

Actually the Taurus Team itself (and I am sure the FGT Team as well) was very self policing and protective to avoid any leaks . I recall the first real photo was when Jim Dunn climbed a tree in Nevada on one of our ride evaluation trips and caught several of our late level prototypes on the road.
They appeared the next month is several of the mags..
andy (ajb)

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
All kidding aside.......did you get to sit in it?

If so, impressions?

Raj Nair

Ford GT Team Alumni
Mar 10, 2015
Got to meet with Raj Nair today and take a tour of the basement GT studio at the PDC. Very cool to see the various iterations as they refined the design. It's also really amazing that nothing ever managed to escape that facility in the year leading up to reveal.

That's about all I can say. :lol

Glad you enjoyed it.

Raj

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
^^oh man. Feels like the principal just walked in and we all have to behave:)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
It's way too late for that, you're at post 2100+. ;- ))