Washing the GT

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
What are the best ways of keeping water from hitting the engine through the vents when washing the GT? Any other washing tips?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Place a towel over the engine area prior to washing. :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I tend to use a low pressure hose (i.e. not a jet wash) and dribble water around those areas.

The GT never gets that dirty anyway! :lol

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I don't believe there is anything preventing the entire engine from being washed then dried off with a leaf blower. Of course removal of the under engine covers first to give the water somewhere to go. No water on engine; cover it with plastic and close the clamshell.

Pete S.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
blue tape, just tape up the sides

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I use the towel method most often :thumbsup A couple of towels to absorb what goes through the vents and you're good to go.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I use microfiber to block air intakes, blue tape on the vents .Get the wash mitt from Jason .I 'd get a couple .Also get the foamer.But most importantly use an electric leaf blower to dry her The less you touch her the better .

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I use microfiber to block air intakes, blue tape on the vents .Get the wash mitt from Jason .I 'd get a couple .Also get the foamer.But most importantly use an electric leaf blower to dry her The less you touch her the better .
Thanks Ron :thumbsup

The article about hand washing if you guys have not seen it:

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/wash/

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
don't use water

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Has anyone used this shampoo with the sprayer for the car?

32 oz. DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Has anyone used this shampoo with the sprayer for the car?

32 oz. DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
Yes, it works great. It is all I use now.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
perfec thanks

Slow Poke

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2009
Bay Area
Great advice. Thanks!!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What are the best ways of keeping water from hitting the engine through the vents when washing the GT? Any other washing tips?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12253&highlight=WASH

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
For the fair weather occasional drivers that only accumulate a light layer of dust, is a full dunking required? How about just a wipe down with a damp microfiber towel which would then be thrown away? Then an occasional full wash and wax a couple times a year. I like my car to be clean but there's noway I can take the time to give it a full dunking once a week. Not sure that would be that good for it anyway. Talk to me about the dry wash wipe down pros and cons. Thx

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
never wash mine......cal duster - mist and wipe only - and an occassional wax. Ed

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I am not disagreeing with anyone on any wash method here, rather just sharing another opinion for the mix. This is how I wash:

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/wash/

Just happens to be Kirby's beautiful GTX1 in the article. It takes about 10-15 minutes and the supplies are relatively inexpensive.

• Gilmour Foamaster Foam Gun (Amazon #75QGFMR) is $42.76 + S&H
  • Soap is only a few dollars and can be had locally (Turtle Wax Platinum at Autozone or Autogeek.net for DP Xtreme Foam)
  • Genuine Sheepskin Wash Mitts are available through me for $12.99. They are reusable as long as you rinse them after use and massage out any fine particles. I use a new one for every customer's car though.
step2.jpg

Take the next step and get a Deionized water setup and never dry your cars again.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Jason, so do you recommend that technique for a car with a light coat of dust? Is a full dunking your preferred method for any cleaning?