Warning to Those Self Installing Ford Transaxle Cooler

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well, I went to install my Ford Racing transaxle cooler today and found that Ford sent the wrong part in the kit. I can’t tell you how annoying it is to have the car apart and not have the parts to put it back together. The install instructions say to make sure you have all the parts before you start, but it doesn't tell you what size those parts are supposed to be.

Ford sent two adapter couplings like they are supposed to, but one of them was the wrong thread size. Bad enough not to have the right part, but it is also an adapter so unusual that all the local speed shops don't carry it (ask me how I know).

Anyway, advice to those installing the Ford kit. Make sure both of the blue anodized fittings are THE SAME SIZE before you start.

As I recall, Bill (Indy GT) had the exact same problem with his kit, so this is apparently NOT an isolated incident.

Oh, and Bill, if you happen to read this, can you PM me your contact at Ford that straightened this out for you? I sure hope I can get a fitting overnighted to me on Monday.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Chris,

Sorry to hear of your parts problem with the Ford Kit. I'm sure everything will be fine for you after you have installed all of the correct parts.

I hope that by now owners know there is an alternative to Ford's Kit - namely the one that I developed and which is in stock and available for ordering. You can see the details on this thread, or on my website at www.cooltechllc.com.

Like the Ford Kit, mine is a 10-step install process - but I take 8 pages to describe these steps. Here's a look at how the parts come and the instructions reference the parts bags needed for each step of assembly.
CIMG1082.JPG

Also, I personally assemble and pressure test each line at 125 psi before shipping. (The cooler itself likely never sees more that 3-4 psi.)

Anyway, I'm in no way trying to knock the Ford kit or especially those owners that went that route. As I said, I know the Ford unit will work well. I just want to insure that people know there are now alternatives.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
This is late, however due: Congratulations on your new company. It's nice that there are people that can produce a quality and complete product. I am currently agonizing over the instruction manual for my engine light product. I feel as I am writing a short story!

Best wishes,

Jay
www.gtsaver.com
nota4re said:
Chris,

Sorry to hear of your parts problem with the Ford Kit. I'm sure everything will be fine for you after you have installed all of the correct parts.

I hope that by now owners know there is an alternative to Ford's Kit - namely the one that I developed and which is in stock and available for ordering. You can see the details on this thread, or on my website at www.cooltechllc.com.

Like the Ford Kit, mine is a 10-step install process - but I take 8 pages to describe these steps. Here's a look at how the parts come and the instructions reference the parts bags needed for each step of assembly.

Also, I personally assemble and pressure test each line at 125 psi before shipping. (The cooler itself likely never sees more that 3-4 psi.)

Anyway, I'm in no way trying to knock the Ford kit or especially those owners that went that route. As I said, I know the Ford unit will work well. I just want to insure that people know there are now alternatives.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Jay,

Thanks. Same to you! I'm sure it's the same for both of us - carrying both a full-time regular job (OK, 125% of available time is more like it), and then starting something more akin to your passion in all your "spare" time. Definitely compromising on sleep recently!

Now one trick is that those of us making parts for the GT don't run into collisions with our recommended mounting locations, etc. I'm watching your light mounting locations very closely! Last week I ran across A.J.'s Transaxle Breather Kit when doing an install. What a GREAT job he's done with this kit. It looks first class all the way! Thankfully, I didn't have any conflicts with the mounting locations I chose for the cooler kit. As I mentioned previously, I was also face to face with John's (Accufab) exhaust kit. Another super high-quality product. So, the bar has been set and all of us know what the expected level of quality is when coming up with new GT products!

Anyway, fun stuff.

Florida Chris - sorry for the brief hijack of your thread - back to our regular scheduled programming....

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
When the Ford transaxle cooler kit arrived for my GT it, too, had the wrong sized part.......what's with these guys??? :eek

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Fittings

Ford sent two adapter couplings like they are supposed to, but one of them was the wrong thread size. Bad enough not to have the right part, but it is also an adapter so unusual that all the local speed shops don't carry it (ask me how I know).

##########################

Go to Amazon---->>>>>>
1001 Northwest 159th Dr
Miami, Florida 33169
Phone: 305-576-1640
Toll-free: 800-887-8466
Fax: 305-573-8063

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dr Robert Harms said:

##########################

Go to Amazon---->>>>>>
1001 Northwest 159th Dr
Miami, Florida 33169
Phone: 305-576-1640
Toll-free: 800-887-8466
Fax: 305-573-8063

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately they do not carry anything with metric threads. I'll have to get in touch with Ford I guess.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Did they call you Chris? They said they'd send out the correct fitting today or tomorrow...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yeah, I called Ford this morning and they said they'd FedEx the correct fitting. They were quite accommodating and responsive.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Chris, do yourself a favor and buy the Cool Tech transaxle cooler for your new Heritage. I just installed one in my Heritage last Sunday. It was extremely easy, fit perfect, and had higher quality core and hardware compared to the Ford part. Plus its cheaper! :cheers

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Temps

Anyone have this happen? Since installing the Ford trans cooler (dealer installation) my car appears to be running hotter. Maybe 5 - 10 degrees. I see the cooler blocks the right cowl some or at least restricts the air flow. It could be logical - as the 'pass through' air has been restricted. Observations welcome.

Gordon.