Updates on your 2005-2006 Ford GT, What have you done lately?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I just checked my Ahlman shocks. I'm slightly below stock ride height, and I can go down another inch or a bit more. So, the minimum ride height will give you about 3-1/4" to 3-1/2" clearance under the car, however, you don't have a lot of suspension travel left if you go that low.

Reactions: 2112

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have a curb that I have to gingerly cross, so perhaps even a 1/4 inch above stock height, as undesirable as it might sound, might actually make for easier entry and exits.

Does anyone know what stock ride height ground clearance typically is?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Right around 4.5" at the jacking points. However, if you switched to Bridgestones on the rear, they are about 1/2" less in diameter, thus the rear will sit down 1/4" or so, other things being equal. One of the things Scott Ahlman does when you order shocks from him is to ask you what tires you run, and if they are the Bridgestones, he will either raise the rear shocks 1/4" or lower the front shocks 1/4" to level the car, according to your preferences.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Ti exhaust with valves that open up under boost.

Attachments

• IMG_6017.jpg
    IMG_6017.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 72

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Ti exhaust with valves that open up under boost.
More pics and sound please.

Reactions: Simon

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Penskes with my spring rates on. Took more time to place the reservoirs than swap out the coilover bodies. This was my first coilover install that required extending the suspension rather than compressing it on install.

Dropped the car 3/4" and the ride is OEM+

Attachments

• IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6233.JPG
    IMG_6233.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6249.jpg
    IMG_6249.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 96

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Updated with my prototype coilovers and 20mm wheel spacers.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: darinhopkins

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did you install longer wheel studs?

Which custom coilover?

Any tire rubbing?

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Did you install longer wheel studs?

Which custom coilover?

Any tire rubbing?
Yeah, running ARP extended studs.

No rubbing.

1 way adjustable damper (easily accessible adjuster) with adjustable body length - can control ride height independent of spring preload. A street oriented coilover at a much lower price-point than all of the 2 and 3 way options. Currently in the development process, but should be done in the next couple of weeks. Can be purchased through reidperformance.com or Rich Brooks.

Reactions: 2112

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Updated with my prototype coilovers and 20mm wheel spacers.
Can you post some more pics of the car at different angles? Would you of done different dimensions (more or less mm) if you could now?
Getting ready to do studs and spacers on my car with the BBS wheels and haven't decided on spacer dimensions yet

Reactions: MartynL

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
After approximately 12 years, I've just sold my Tungsten GT to a serious musclecar collector across the state from me in FL. Thanks to Shelby Smith @ Elite and Jason Heffner @ Heffner Performance, and all the GT-owning friends I've made, the experience surpassed the feelings I had when driving a GT40 Mark III in 1967. Once I made the decision to sell, I immediately started to have "seller's remorse".The '06 GT is a far superior car in every way (especially the price tag)! Unfortunately, I've "aged-out" of driving a GT and was ready to pass it on to the next caretaker who has joined the Forum. Photos show arrival and departure. Still a GT40 & Ford GT nerd!

Attachments

• GOING AWAY 7-31-23 GT-2 - 1.jpeg
    GOING AWAY 7-31-23 GT-2 - 1.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 23
  • SPECIAL DELIVERY! copy.jpg
    SPECIAL DELIVERY! copy.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 23

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
You may no longer have the car but you'll always be a GT Guy.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
MartynL- you had a blessed relationship of nearly 60 years of GT enjoyment. "Age-ing out" is a fact of living. I am thankful that :

1) still have my GT (and am driving it less) and 2) I'm one day older than yesterday. Motor On!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry to hear it.

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Can you post some more pics of the car at different angles? Would you of done different dimensions (more or less mm) if you could now?
Getting ready to do studs and spacers on my car with the BBS wheels and haven't decided on spacer dimensions yet
I would have left it exactly as Ford built it. Spent many years modifying cars, IMHO this one didn't need any changes

Attachments

• AKA GT40.jpg
    AKA GT40.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 12
  • MLS 2006 Ford GT - 1.jpg
    MLS 2006 Ford GT - 1.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Kpgarage

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Just got the newly re-valved front dampers in and quite happy. Car is headed to Rich next week so he should be able to give some insight.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I would have left it exactly as Ford built it. Spent many years modifying cars, IMHO this one didn't need any changes
Agreed on all points. MartynL. I would say well done. Where did the car end up in Florida? I live in the Destin, FL area.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
After approximately 12 years, I've just sold my Tungsten GT to a serious musclecar collector across the state from me in FL. Thanks to Shelby Smith @ Elite and Jason Heffner @ Heffner Performance, and all the GT-owning friends I've made, the experience surpassed the feelings I had when driving a GT40 Mark III in 1967. Once I made the decision to sell, I immediately started to have "seller's remorse".The '06 GT is a far superior car in every way (especially the price tag)! Unfortunately, I've "aged-out" of driving a GT and was ready to pass it on to the next caretaker who has joined the Forum. Photos show arrival and departure. Still a GT40 & Ford GT nerd!
Marty,

You are the real deal. For those who don’t know him…

I love your story about test driving the GT40 MkIII when they were new. I’ll try to find a link to the article you wrote.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
”the real deal”, I’ll say! Your comment that the Ford GT needs nothing changed is even more credible, once your background is known. I understand the age out concept but if you need a boost, we are just across the state.

Reactions: Sinovac and MartynL

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Agreed on all points. MartynL. I would say well done. Where did the car end up in Florida? I live in the Destin, FL area.
It's housed in a collection in the Boynton Beach area.