Unboxing The Order Kit

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
This is way above my expectations. What a great way to have all the options presented to us and what a keep sake. Should be seeing mine in the next month or so, I see a family meeting on the horizon but be assured the final choice will still be by BigInch Blake (May let Renee pick floor mats LOl). Very exciting time.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Oh my, I do remember "they" had said there was some cool stuff.....

Really cool marketing, or should I say "gifting" for the lucky few who are getting a new FGT.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Awesome!
Everybody of you noticed that carbon finishing (color and webbing) is different for each interior?
Heritage is much clearer than RE-Entry for example.

Just the lighting. Same in every car.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Autoblog has an article on this with more pictures. Also details that the stripes can be swapped which wasn't clear in the original video.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/06/ford-gt-design-spec-kit/

This is a link to a must-see article and video which provide more info, and a bonus clip of Henry Ford III

Turn10 BigBoss

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 6, 2017
Seattle
What was it like being able to work on Forza with the GT before the public knew the car existed? That had to be fun, and difficult.

For the record, thanks - I used Forza photo mode and the home garage a lot, endlessly re-painting the car when choosing a color. :lol

The process with Ford was amazing and really had to be careful as we were getting access before many of the Ford execs had even been brought into the program. Mark Bentley (from Ford) was the first to start whispering in our ear actually at the booth during E3. This early partnership was absolutely necessary if we were truly going to partner on this car. Ford approached us after Forza 5, they really liked the level of partnership and collaboration we had on the P1 with McLaren and wanted to one up it with the GT. We didn't know what they were talking to us about for some time... only that it was going to be very special.

So this is where I have to admit that I am not the guy who gets to do much of the cool stuff. These early meetings happened with my partnership team and my Content Director John Wendl. It was exciting for them to go to the secret bunker under Ford headquarters and be brought into a room where much of the concept they were pitched with was on the walls and the team had actually used Forza as the source for much of the visuals. I don't think there was even a full scale clay model at this point so it was quite early.

Henry Ford III was really key in making this partnership happen and I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with him during the process, most of that in the USC men's Locker room, but more on that later.

Dan Greenawalt, my Design Director, is the public face of Forza but also really the soul of the franchise. He was brought in and started working with the designers at Ford to really understand the details of the design and to make sure the changes to our simulation would happen to be able to fully replicate the advances made in the car. These kinds of interactions are so incredibly valuable when they happen with companies like Ford, McLaren, and Pirelli. Dan and team travelled out to the bunker in the fall to have a deep dive with the team and see the car models. At this point we had landed on the plan to be there with Ford and announce Forza 6 at NAIAS. Really a huge hurdle for both companies as it broke with our approach of saving the announce for E3 in June and obviously a big hurdle for Ford to share their event with us.

Meanwhile a very small circle of individuals back at Turn 10 were working on the GT model for the game. It takes 6 months for us to build a game ready car, probably hard to comprehend if you don't understand all the levels of complexity but there are some articles about it online if you want to read more. It is a process that can't be turned into a 1 month build by adding more people. 9 women can't make a baby in a month, but nine women can deliver a baby a month if you sequence it right. That is our approach to building cars, we never stop. Anyway, this is where we rely on the expertise of people like Gabe (the Ford fan from the video), he is our car lead and only goes hands on when there is something this special that can't be handed off to our production army.

So by the time I finally get to be hands on is the couple days prior to NAIAS unveil. Wow I can't say enough about the professionalism of the entire Ford team. The PR team is such a high caliber bunch and really did a great job, and the marketing team as well. We showed up with our PR and Marketing teams and hit the ground running. After the morning announce it was back to back interviews - I was paired with Steve Ling (can't say enough great things about Steve), as well as Raj and some fun ones with Henry. Raj spent a bunch of time with Dan and they geeked out on tech much of the day.

Fast forward to our event at E3 and we did something pretty damn fun - dropping the GT from the ceiling of the Galen Center during our press briefing. This is a big show for us and is proceeded by weeks of prep. Henry was excited to come out and represent the partnership at multiple events that week along with Steve and designers and technicians. (I'm horrible with names but I'll add them when I remember). We had the Focus RS as well at E3, definitely sold some of those that week. So, the Galen is the USC arena we rent every year for our press event. We had to start rehearsing Thursday for the show Monday morning. Henry joined us Saturday and experienced the yearly ritual of hanging out in the men's locker room for two and a half days (our ready room as we are locked out to avoid seeing all the announcements). What a great guy. Super easy to hang out with. Doesn't need or expect special treatment. We would stroll down and have burgers next to campus during breaks. One thing I thought was amusing was Henry showed up in a VW Jetta or Passat, it was a rental. I teased him and he said travel was a great opportunity to jump into a competitors car and really experience what they were doing first hand. This kind of sums up Henry.

Steve Ling was tireless during the show. We had record heat and Ford had rented out space outside for the cars to be in a tent (The GT had been moved from the briefing to the showfloor next to the game). Steve was out there with his team sweating it out and then running in to do press interviews when needed.

Anyway. Much more I could write but I'll save it for over cocktails sometime when our paths cross. Really has been a great and long lasting partnership.

Turn10 BigBoss

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 6, 2017
Seattle
IMG_5563(1).jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thanks! Will be sharing each step. And you will have an open invite to come up to the Studio and check it out.

Super duper Company car! Thanks for the invite.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO

Thanks for the insights into what transpired. I love "driving" my Forza 6 new FGT and am thrilled some day in 2018 I will experience it for real.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Welcome! I enjoyed your unboxing video--thx for that.

Also, two thumbs up on your sponsorship of Change Racing. Corey Lewis is a friend. He's a quick driver and a good guy, so hopefully you'll have a good season. I think you made the right choice!

By the way, did you know that Centennial White with blue stripes was the fastest color combination for the 2005-6 cars? Just trying to be "helpful"!

Kenneth

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congratulations and welcome Mr.10.. I enjoyed your video. . I sure hope I get a box. ..:rolleyes

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Interior and maybe wheels I could select from samples but for exterior body paint/stripes, I don't think I would be truly 100% on my decision unless I could see a full body in person to choose. Then it would be easy. Otherwise I'd pick something and always be in doubt looking at other GT's of different color.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Pretty amazing. Does anyone know if McLaren P1, La Ferrari and other supercars/hypercars have order kits like this?
Yes, and not just hypercars and not just kits. When we were buying an i8 from BMW we got invited to Goodwood where Andy Priaulx gave us some fast laps in a racing M3 and we got to drive the i8 on track too. Racing hybrids is really interesting, playing it smart to have enough battery to out boost the other guy down the straights.

918 was at Silverstone, same sort of thing. Porsche have nicer lunches :lol

Both came with a load of nice stuff to help you spend your money.

It'll be interesting to see what else Ford offer on a car 5x the price of the BMW.

Interior and maybe wheels I could select from samples but for exterior body paint/stripes, I don't think I would be truly 100% on my decision unless I could see a full body in person to choose. Then it would be easy. Otherwise I'd pick something and always be in doubt looking at other GT's of different color.

I think you're right. In the configurator the yellow looked really good but if that was the same yellow at COTA, it looked awful. Sorry Chip!

I know there's been a lot of talk about if option prices will be published up front. I'd like it as that can help cement options in your head. Going back to the 918, the road test car was a liquid metal blue. It looked great (though wasn't my favourite) but when I found it was a $63,000 option it was easy to stop thinking about it :wink

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This is way above my expectations. What a great way to have all the options presented to us and what a keep sake..........Very exciting time.
Yesterday while at COTA with some of the Ford GT Forum crew who were running their track cars, I had the opportunity to actually hold, open, admire, handle, and study one of these extraordinary Ford GT Order Kits.
It is truly a piece of automotive accessory art.
Thank You to Biginch Blake for the surprise offering to allow me the opportunity to preview this item before mine will arrive; this was totally unexpected.
:thumbsup

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Way to go Blake

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Blake. Despite what many say about you, you are really a great guy and I'm glad you are my friend.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got a private viewing of the "Box" at COTA also. Thanks Blake. Great hanging out again in the "Indy 500" RV!

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
I too had the privilege to view the "box" ,what a fantastic way to present the options. Thank you Blake we really enjoyed the visit.