UHG!!!!! I just had my first gauge failure, I think

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I just had my first gauge failure, I think.

I just started up my GT from winter slumber to move it into my lift area to do the fluid changes and my boost gauge was dead. When I started the car a second time the gauge worked.

My question is , is this a precursor to a permanent failure or just an intermittent issue??

Any help from the wise men of the forum would be appreciated.

Thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Check your battery and especially the ground connections if the battery is "known good".

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yup, lots and lots of old threads about a low battery causing this temporary gauge failure condition. Keep your battery charged while in storage.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Yup, lots and lots of old threads about a low battery causing this temporary gauge failure condition. Keep your battery charged while in storage.

Battery always on Maintainer, but I checked my voltage (12.7 volts)and I feel it is a bit low so changing out the battery.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I had a fuel gauge misbehave before a battery change.

Don't look directly at the gauge. Pretend nothing ever happened. Touch blue to make it true. Check ground, change battery. Delete this post.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Had same issue. Immediately got Sears Platinum , put on tender and came back -- 2 years ago but fingers always crossed.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I had a fuel gauge misbehave before a battery change.

Don't look directly at the gauge. Pretend nothing ever happened. Touch blue to make it true. Check ground, change battery. Delete this post.

Now that is funny!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All owners should be in the habit of turning the key to the "on" position and WAITING for the odometer display to turn on and THEN pushing the start button. This short pause will allow the gauges to initialize. Now, if the battery voltage is below 12v, initialization still may not complete successful (resulting in one or more in-op gauges for that entire run duration), but at least you are not diverting all available current to the starter during the initialization.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
All owners should be in the habit of turning the key to the "on" position and WAITING for the odometer display to turn on and THEN pushing the start button. This short pause will allow the gauges to initialize. Now, if the battery voltage is below 12v, initialization still may not complete successful (resulting in one or more in-op gauges for that entire run duration), but at least you are not diverting all available current to the starter during the initialization.

I always do that, I have followed suggestions here on the forum.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
not to get a lecture on searching the forum, I have searched but would like to know the consensus for battery replcement.

What is the replacement recommendation.?

OEM Optimum, Sears ??

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
OE

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Made in Mexico Optima with shoddy materials and less than mediocre quality control is a no go any longer (for me at least), Sears' Die Hard is not available anymore, where to go now guys ?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Have you looked at Odyssey?

Probably not an exact size match, but great quality.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Luke would say a 1K lithium battery :lol

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Have you looked at Odyssey?

Probably not an exact size match, but great quality.

Yes and 0 luck- From Odyssey's website::

No Matches

Year: 2006
Make: Ford
Model: GT
Engine: 5.4 Liters 5409 CC 330 CID V8

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Don't replace it. If it holds 12.7 volts, that's the maximum for a lead-acid chemistry battery. If you have any doubts, take it to Sears auto center and have it load tested. If it passes, don't replace it. You ain't havin' battery probs. You probably didn't wait for the gauges to initialize (these ain't old style analog "steam gauges"--damn I miss those...)

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I did a load test and it failed. I always wait for gauges to initialize.

CCA came back at 405

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes and 0 luck- From Odyssey's website::

No Matches

Year: 2006
Make: Ford
Model: GT
Engine: 5.4 Liters 5409 CC 330 CID V8

It was the same story for the Z8. An Odyssey with more CCA's was less than half the size and weight of the OEM battery. Had a local machine shop make me a Delron cradle that secured it to the OEM mount. 10 years of superior service.

It is more sensitive to inactivity draw down so a "real" smart charger is necessary. C-Tek or Accumate, not the cheap crap battery tender.

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
Are you all aware that AutoMeter is releasing the small, internally upgraded gauges to the GT owners and they are a fraction of the price. FYI

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Are you all aware that AutoMeter is releasing the small, internally upgraded gauges to the GT owners and they are a fraction of the price. FYI

Thank you,

Yes, I was just hoping not to have to change the gauge. Picking up my new battery this afternoon, so should know before weekend if I am Calling Autometer.