Top Three (Classic) Thrill/Investment Cars You Hunger For

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
Good points on the Ferrari, Toby. Perhaps that was much more an uninformed emotional choice than a sound financial one! Certainly, with words like "While hope springs eternal, none of these cars has any chance of appreciation," it's clear that Sheehan doesn't think a 550 belongs in any investment list. At least some seem to think that their value has bottomed out and they shouldn't depreciate too much if maintained with low miles.

As for the Viper ACR--sure I'd like to see one in my garage, but I'm not sure I'll ever have the maturity to own and drive one safely!

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Good points on the Ferrari, Toby. Perhaps that was much more an uninformed emotional choice than a sound financial one! Certainly, with words like "While hope springs eternal, none of these cars has any chance of appreciation," it's clear that Sheehan doesn't think a 550 belongs in any investment list. At least some seem to think that their value has bottomed out and they shouldn't depreciate too much if maintained with low miles.

As for the Viper ACR--sure I'd like to see one in my garage, but I'm not sure I'll ever have the maturity to own and drive one safely!

haha...so says the pilot of the Heffner stealth fighter.

Ferrari as an investment is tricky. As we talked before, I feel the only route with Ferrari and investing is vintage and pre- + - 1970. Choices in the 100K range are limited though.

Maybe a nice AC Cobra from kirkham http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/ or one of those Shelby continuation versions http://www.shelbyautos.com/427sc.asp might work. While they may hold their value well I am not sure if they are worthy of being called an investment either.

Whatever you decide and you need a back up with the wife...I have your back. "oh yes...its a great investment. He should have purchased two!" :)

Last edited:

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Following the rules
1) series 1, 1.5 Jag XKE roadster
2) 32 ford hot rod, see Doane Spencer roadster
3) Kirkham Cobra

Not following the rules, since I don't have the garage space
Restored 64-66 275 GTS Ferrari roadster

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
QUOTE=HHGT;270222]58 and 63 SWC for me[/QUOTE]

Had unexpected good weather in the NoWest on Sunday. Decided to take the SWC out for a warm up and then do the fluids. Since several have mentioned the 63 Corvette Coupe in this thread, thought I'd add a picture. Car is originally from Marion, Indiana then went to the Denver area for many years. Back to Indiana for restoration and I purchased the car at auction in Chicago in 2002. 327/340Hp (original), 4 speed, Saddle/Saddle. Has been a great car. DJ.

2h5tz5j.jpg
[/IMG][

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Here's a photo of the 701/2 TA, RA III. It was featured in a recent article in "High Performance Pontiac" magazine. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/hppp_1104_1970_pontiac_trans_am/index.html

I'll post up pics of the 73 Super Duty later today. I just got it and plan of waxing and detailing it.

My sister had one in high school that she bought herself. It was a great car. Wish she had kept it.

John DeLorean let me sit in his show car version. On the show car, all of the body cladding wasn't tacked on but actually all steel. The interior was special too!

You can barely see the nuances in these pics - http://www.1973-76transamconcept.com/history.html

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Here's pictures of my TA's...Polar White '70 RA III with rare red interior and the Buccaneer Red '73 Super Duty 455 (one of 180 autos, 72 4 speeds were also made). The Super Duty has a RA IV cam (but otherwise stock) and pulls like a freight train.

Attachments

• DSC04403.jpg
    DSC04403.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC04408.jpg
    DSC04408.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 196

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
I'm no investor; these would just be three kinds of fun drivers:
1) Higher mileage (to keep to the rules) GT driver with a few tuning extras.
2) Corvette - Can't really go wrong with anything '63-67 (I prefer big blocks and later brakes) or '68-69 L88. Get a convertible for variety.
3) Ariel Atom - more "yee-haa" for the $$ than anything I've ever driven and makes everyone who drives it want to be naughty. Slide it like a gokart and make your wife/girlfriend/chicken boyfriend (you know who you are) scream again. Added Bonus: Crash and total it for less than the cost of even the most minor GT off-road excursion.
** Spend the left-over cash on track time and a Ducati since we're way under $300k with this list.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

QUOTE=HHGT;270222]58 and 63 SWC for me

Had unexpected good weather in the NoWest on Sunday. Decided to take the SWC out for a warm up and then do the fluids. Since several have mentioned the 63 Corvette Coupe in this thread, thought I'd add a picture. Car is originally from Marion, Indiana then went to the Denver area for many years. Back to Indiana for restoration and I purchased the car at auction in Chicago in 2002. 327/340Hp (original), 4 speed, Saddle/Saddle. Has been a great car. DJ.

2h5tz5j.jpg
[/IMG][[/QUOTE]

She's a beauty... Mine is Black/Black all matching original 50K miles and documented.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State

2h5tz5j.jpg
[/IMG][

She's a beauty... Mine is Black/Black all matching original 50K miles and documented.[/QUOTE]

Would love to see this car and black has become a favorite paint choice for me lately! When I purchased the 63 at Bloomington in 02, I had the chance to buy a 63 Z06 big tank, Black/Saddle with two spinner KH/KO's for $100K. That was stupid of me not to buy and every time this subject comes up, I kick my own butt. Still the Saddle/Saddle car is a good one and is a NCRS Top Flight car. Own a 65 BB Coupe too. Rally Red/White leather two tone interior. Beautiful. One of a handful built. DJ.

H

HHGT

She's a beauty... Mine is Black/Black all matching original 50K miles and documented.

Would love to see this car and black has become a favorite paint choice for me lately! When I purchased the 63 at Bloomington in 02, I had the chance to buy a 63 Z06 big tank, Black/Saddle with two spinner KH/KO's for $100K. That was stupid of me not to buy and every time this subject comes up, I kick my own butt. Still the Saddle/Saddle car is a good one and is a NCRS Top Flight car. Own a 65 BB Coupe too. Rally Red/White leather two tone interior. Beautiful. One of a handful built. DJ.[/QUOTE]

I can't begin to tell you how many "should have bought" cars have passed by my fingers.

H

HHGT

Would love to see this car and black has become a favorite paint choice for me lately! When I purchased the 63 at Bloomington in 02, I had the chance to buy a 63 Z06 big tank, Black/Saddle with two spinner KH/KO's for $100K. That was stupid of me not to buy and every time this subject comes up, I kick my own butt. Still the Saddle/Saddle car is a good one and is a NCRS Top Flight car. Own a 65 BB Coupe too. Rally Red/White leather two tone interior. Beautiful. One of a handful built. DJ.[/QUOTE]

I can't begin to tell you how many "should have bought" cars have passed by my fingers.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Here's pictures of my TA's...Polar White '70 RA III with rare red interior and the Buccaneer Red '73 Super Duty 455 (one of 180 autos, 72 4 speeds were also made). The Super Duty has a RA IV cam (but otherwise stock) and pulls like a freight train.

gorgeous! always like the early TA's

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Miura SV
300 SL Gullwing
F. 275 GTB/4