Top Three (Classic) Thrill/Investment Cars You Hunger For

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
So, I'd like to hear about your lust... you CAR lust, that is! But throwing money at a "problem" is boring, so let's add some constraints to make this challenging. Here're the rules:

1) You have a force in your life (wife? business sense? modicum of self-restraint?) that's said you must choose three cars to add to (or start) your collection.

2) To make it harder, no single car can cost more than (about) $120,000 right now. But you must be able to pick up all three for less than $300K in today's market.

3) The afore-mentioned constraining force has stipulated that you must attempt to avoid depreciation in the total collection, but that as a reward you can spend 20% more overall if you can show a reasonable expectation of appreciation in this total 3-car collection over the next FIVE years.

4) Being a car-lover and a driver, you will absolutely intend to take these cars out for the occasional drive--no hangar queens kept under glass for you! So while you're selecting to do better than break-even on car value (not including the expense of keeping and operating the cars) over the next decade, you want some "thrill and style" ROI (return on investment). So the challenge is to optimize for collection value *and* driving thrill (regardless of whether you get your thrills at a drag strip, on a track, or just cruising).

What three cars would you select for your collection? I had some fun answering this. I hope some of you do, too.

Bonus points if you could lay your hands on your choices right now (and can link to the one you'd buy, so we all can ooh and ahh over your finds!)

I'm starting with all numbers-matching restorations that are completely stock (or in "easy" return-to-stock) configurations, for best re-sale value. Here are my choices. I reserve the right to change my mind when I see someone with a better idea than me! :)

1) 1966 Corvette 427 (L72/425hp(+)). I love the body style, and while the big-blocks can be hot to drive, they seem to be a good buy right now with fair expectation of appreciation over the next ten years. And it's one of the fastest classic cars Detroit produced, which supports my desire for the blend of cruising (99.9% of my driving time) and (rare) drag-racing thrills. (Note: this was a hard decision for me, because I've always lusted after the '63 split window coupe!)

2) 1969 Camaro Z28. Again, one of the top-ten fastest from the American Muscle Car era, and a body style I've just always loved. Takes me back to my teenage muscle-car days (I still pine for my long-lost '68 (faux)GTO). On this car, while I'd buy it stock, I just think it needs to be driven around with some big meats on the back. Are raised-white letter tires just too retro? I think not (but I'm not an especially classy guy)!

3) 1999-2000 Ferrari 550 Maranello. One of the soon-to-be classic (?) Ferraris whose body style still resonates without looking dated, and strong performance for the dollar. Reputed to be a hoot to drive, and (hopefully) at the bottom of the characteristically steep Ferrari 10-year depreciation plunge and about to bottom out and provide good value (if not appreciation) if reasonably maintained.

So, right now, those are my three. What say you?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Sonic Blue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon to be classic

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
1)High Mileage GT (to get under the price limit)
2)BMW Z8
3)Ferrari 512BB

No explanations necessary. These are the epitome of their respective makes Design and performance given the parameters you listed. :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I dont like this game, too much thinking!

I would just get two high milage GTs and one salvaged one.........(for parts) given enough time even a salvaged stripped down gt would appreciate:lol

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
'69 Boss 302 (still way too cheap).
'68 Z/28 (with cross ram or at least underhood cowl unit and 4 whl disc {and yes, both were available @ Chevy dealer if you knew to order it, not from factory}).
74 Pantera GTS (US spec).
Lots of cash left over?

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Older/old-style cars:

1. Next gen Corvettes are an even better buy now, here's one I'd like to have: http://www.proteam-corvette.com/cars/135Y.htm

2. Original double black 428 CJ 1969-70 Mustang or 1970 440 6-pack or T/A Challenger

3. Kirkham Cobra like Chip's old car

Newer stock:

1. As stated, another GT with the high mileage to get to your criteria

2. ZR1 Corvette

3. For foreign, maybe an '05 Gallardo or prev owned SL600

All black of course save for the brushed aluminum Kirkham.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Very happy with "Nardo".

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Very happy with "Nardo".

I was just telling the story behind your car to some of the newbe's on the forum at the houston dinner:thumbsup

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I would go for:

69 trans am coupe 4 sp(689 trans am coupes built)
97 or 98 993 twin turbo
87 grand national gnx...Though I would be tempted to build an early 70's bronco as well!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Can't limit it to only three!!! And your 'green stamps' constraints suck!

'69 ZL-1 Camaro

'68/9 L-88 'Vette.

'70 LS-6 Chevelle (I owned one. It's now in N.Y. [LongIsland])

'70 HemiCuda coupe

'66 GT40 street version

Origional 427 big block Cobra

Last edited:
H

HHGT

BMW M3
Mini Cooper S
Nissan GTR

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
BMW M3
Mini Cooper S
Nissan GTR

Liar!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

BMW M3
Mini Cooper S
Nissan GTR

Pinto
Pacer
Gremlin tied with Vega

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pinto
Pacer
Gremlin tied with Vega

Seek professional help...! :slap

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
$120K max for a single car, and $300k max total for three. Wow, good criteria......

For me, it's:

Series 1 or 1.5 E-type coupe
'55 Vette or '67 Vette
With money left over, a pristine blue no stripe GT. But to be fair to the rules, a GT with high mileage works too.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Pinto
Pacer
Gremlin tied with Vega

:rofl:lol:rofl

H

HHGT

$120K max for a single car, and $300k max total for three. Wow, good criteria......

For me, it's:

Series 1 or 1.5 E-type coupe
'55 Vette or '67 Vette
With money left over, a pristine blue no stripe GT. But to be fair to the rules, a GT with high mileage works too.

58 and 63 SWC for me

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
I think I made this too easy by setting the per-car limit too high. :)

It begs an interesting question, though. If a Ford GT has such high miles that it goes for less than $120K, will it appreciate much from there within a decade? I don't think I can recall seeing one selling for so little, unless it's a salvage car. (And remember, the game is to create a collection that will hold value, possibly even appreciate within 5 years). It's an interesting approach to "gaming the game!"

I think I should have set the per-car limit at $100K, given that this is a Ford GT-lovers community!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

BMW M3
Mini Cooper S
Nissan GTR

Seek professional help...! :slap

The Pinto has the great advantage for the driver as you never get any tailgators.

The Pacer looks like a flying saucer.

The Vega and a engine only a mother could love.

The Greblim as a precursor the the "smart" car.