Today’s lesson— your car is wide and why clear film is not an option

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
In my last lesson, you may recall I warned against shutting the rear glass hatch by putting your hands anywhere but over the clasp. I had my hand too far north of it and watched my rear glass shatter in a million pieces . Pretty exciting, but I don’t recommend it.

Today, it is a reminder that your car is wide and if not tucked, the mirrors are fair game. Sure enough, I dinged my left, but X Pel saved the day and there is no damage.

As the stupidity continues, I will check in with tips you’ll not find in the owner’s manual.

Attachments

• 9195B002-FD73-4721-B5D9-73FD3A0C372C.jpeg
    9195B002-FD73-4721-B5D9-73FD3A0C372C.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 121

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
that sucks! well thank you for the heads up and educating us on what not to do and its consequences! Hopefully this will be your last lesson

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good to know - thanks!

Ed

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Some advantage in being late to the dance.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just bought an extra Carbon series rear window for 1,200.Maybe an option for you?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Not sure I understand, on a 05-6?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
2018. And mirror is fine Xpel did its job.

Jerry K

Feb 17, 2016
San Francisco
In my last lesson, you may recall I warned against shutting the rear glass hatch by putting your hands anywhere but over the clasp. I had my hand too far north of it and watched my rear glass shatter in a million pieces . Pretty exciting, but I don’t recommend it.

Today, it is a reminder that your car is wide and if not tucked, the mirrors are fair game. Sure enough, I dinged my left, but X Pel saved the day and there is no damage.

As the stupidity continues, I will check in with tips you’ll not find in the owner’s manual.
I bought the factory outdoor cover to protect my 2019 Carbon series. It fits very tightly over the outside rear view mirrors. I have put it on and off a dozen times and you have to finesse it due to the tight fit. But on my most recent try to remove it, a little tug on the cover snapped the right side mirror right off the support arm. The plastic swivel inside is thin and fragile and it snapped like a toothpick. So be very careful.

Reactions: GEE-TEE

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I did the exact same thing on my 05 gt well actually I didnt do it my detailer did but I can understand how easy it is to do, he was so upset about it that I actually had to console him or he would have gone into depression

every time I pull the new gt on the lift I have to say a prayer as I see the mirrors inching closer to the posts before moving past them

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Does anyone know the edge to edge width in inches that the mirrors on the NFGT are, and how that compares to the '05-'06 Ford GT? Thanks in advance!

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Here is some info from Concierge

Attachments

• A8A98594-B395-4EBD-B0EF-FCF47192A221.jpeg
    A8A98594-B395-4EBD-B0EF-FCF47192A221.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: FerrariSlayer

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That was a very close call.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I did the exact same thing on my 05 gt well actually I didnt do it my detailer did but I can understand how easy it is to do, he was so upset about it that I actually had to console him or he would have gone into depression

every time I pull the new gt on the lift I have to say a prayer as I see the mirrors inching closer to the posts before moving past them
I bought a BENDPAK boat lift (for a trailer) that's over 120" wide on the inside post, so fine for any car. At the narrowest deck setting the inside edges are at about 50" edge to edge so it takes cars but inside edge of rubber might hang inside a little.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
That was a very close call.

Too close