To do or not to do - Alcantara Seats?

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
I am contemplating having my seats done in alcantara. I know Steve at Knights Upholstery is the go to guy and have been talking to him about this project. He did my parking brake boot and steering wheel in alcantara with red piping and happy with both.

I was wondering, if you have the alcantara seats, do you love them? Any regrets or issues with them?

Thanks

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I am not a fan of Alcantara but it sure looked nice in the interior of Shelby's GT.

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't know how it reacts to rain, but my leather has held up superbly. Perhaps you don't drive in the rain, but I have no knowledge of how it holds up in the long run.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have them in my Huracan Performante and would have paid more NOT To have them, but it wasn't an option. They suck...and wear badly too. Can't believe people have to pay more for that garbage.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
one word for me....when you can afford it.....Leather.

andy (ajb)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The center section of my NFGT seats are Alcantara. I wanted all leather but Ford wouldn't do it in all black leather unless I ordered a Heritage GT. I like the look of that material but it absorbs spills and stains easier than leather in addition to not wearing as well. The combination of black leather and dark grey Alcantara in my GT looks great but if it ever looks worn or gets stained I'm going to replace it with black leather. Ford did offer black leather to replace the Alcantara on the steering wheel and I did that.

That's just one guy's opinion though. If you like it, buy it. You only live once.

Chip

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Doesn't the base interiors have cloth instead of Alcantara? Wasn't there a premium interior option that got leather/leather and a leather steering wheel?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I have driven a car with the Alcantara. Fancy name for suede, as far as I can tell. I prefer the regular leather, and as others have noted, it wears much better. Instead, I highly recommend that you get the black cloth seat covers made by Christa. I even put a pocket in the lumbar area of the cover to hold a lumbar air bladder. Worked great on my 1000-mile days during my cross-country drive to the West Coast and then to Rally 12.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have 2 sets of seats for my GT one in alcantara and one set in leather.I find the Alcantara more comfortable.But If wear is a concern,stick with leather

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Upgraded interior moving away from cloth, with black, blue, white and orange highlights, is independent of the steering wheel. You can choose alcantara or for a small fee "upgrade" to leather. You can get leather wheel even with the base interior.

Doesn't the base interiors have cloth instead of Alcantara? Wasn't there a premium interior option that got leather/leather and a leather steering wheel?

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I have driven a car with the Alcantara. Fancy name for suede, as far as I can tell. I prefer the regular leather, and as others have noted, it wears much better. Instead, I highly recommend that you get the black cloth seat covers made by Christa. I even put a pocket in the lumbar area of the cover to hold a lumbar air bladder. Worked great on my 1000-mile days during my cross-country drive to the West Coast and then to Rally 12.
Ultrasuede is synthetic suede. Alcantara is Ultrasuede made in Italy.

Last edited:

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the confusion, this would be for my 2005 FGT (I am not on the list for a NFTG).

From the input received on this post, I have decided to stick with my leather seats. I will look into the seat covers as suggested.

Thanks

Jack