Titanium Lug Nut Wrench

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Anyone hear of a special wrench to take Titanium Lug nuts off of Carbon Wheels or what are ya'll using?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Anyone hear of a special wrench to take Titanium Lug nuts off of Carbon Wheels or what are ya'll using?

Joe from Pat Milliken told me to buy this: https://www.grainger.com/product/20...s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916716397!!!g!82495734837!

I bought a cheap set and broke it the first time I used it. Buy a good quality set. Maybe don't use an impact wrench like I did.

Reactions: steved57

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
IMO, definitely no impact wrench!

I won't use one even on my '06 BBSes, let alone titanium. Once it breaks loose and then rapidly spins out it can wobble and scratch the counter-bores or worse if it comes out completely, spinning at high speed against wheel face. Opposite going in.

Quality socket and breaker bar coming out. Once you break loose, take socket off bar and use it turn lug nuts until you can do it by finger tips. Going on; fingers; socket; torque wrench.

May be good to have short extension between wrench and socket to avoid potential conflict with wrench and fender, particularly deeper rear wheel. ( Don't ask me how I know! )

Reactions: 93extxdps

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I never use impact on any lugnuts that I care about.

Unless there is plastic on the inside of the socket, to not marr the nut, use any standard socket. The GT lugs are out and not recessed at all requiring a "thin wall".

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Joe from Pat Milliken told me to buy this: https://www.grainger.com/product/20...s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916716397!!!g!82495734837!

I bought a cheap set and broke it the first time I used it. Buy a good quality set. Maybe don't use an impact wrench like I did.
Yes please no impact wrench and torque to 150 ft.lbs

Reactions: spartan

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Thanks guys. It is for a new owner who is/has just signed up.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks guys. It is for a new owner who is/has just signed up.
A fellow coon a$$, ehhmmm... I mean, Cajun?

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
A fellow coon a$$, ehhmmm... I mean, Cajun?
Yep! Lives further south than up,ace in Lafayette. Haha.

Reactions: Special K

TurbineTed

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2020
Mike,
Thanks for reaching out to our fellow GT owners regarding the lug nut issue on the carbon wheels.
Took delivery of our Blue GT with red stripes on March 1st and couldn’t be happier with this incredible machine. Purchased the protective screens for the lower intact ducts and getting the car wrapped at the moment. Took the car out several times and can’t wait to log more miles once the wrap is completed.
Looking forward to meeting our fellow GT owners!
TurbineTed.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Your 1st post, welcome to the forum

TurbineTed.

Reactions: steved57

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Mike,
Thanks for reaching out to our fellow GT owners regarding the lug nut issue on the carbon wheels.
Took delivery of our Blue GT with red stripes on March 1st and couldn’t be happier with this incredible machine. Purchased the protective screens for the lower intact ducts and getting the car wrapped at the moment. Took the car out several times and can’t wait to log more miles once the wrap is completed.
TurbineTed.
Looking forward to meeting you Ted! I think you got a glimpse of my car before I did, as mine was the delivery the next day. I’m in Covington if you’re ever this way. Welcome to the forum!! You’ll come to find this place to be home to a wealth of GT knowledge and the greatest group of people in the world!!! Stay safe, and see you soon!!!!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
This is in no way to be meant to be critical of anyone.
I was trained to never use an impact wrench on wheels or brakes that you care about.
I use 90ft/lbs to torque my wheels, unless center lug.
Just a consideration.
Please stay safe and well.
My Best,
Mark

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
So true. Don’t do this.

B80D6D06-AA82-41C4-A9ED-8E8BE6BBF8CB.jpeg

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
This is in no way to be meant to be critical of anyone.
I was trained to never use an impact wrench on wheels or brakes that you care about.
I use 90ft/lbs to torque my wheels, unless center lug.
Just a consideration.
Please stay safe and well.
My Best,
Mark
The manual states 150 lb.ft for lug torque.

They are M14 x 1.5 which is around a 9/16", I wouldn't go under 135 if you don't want to go all the way to 150 but they are designed for it.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Manual is all knowing.
No problem.
I will stay with 90 ft/lbs.
Never had a wheel come off.
Cheers,
Mark

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Agreed, I'm good at 90, to each their own. Also, loose lugs will make a heck of a racket that you will feel and hear, long before falling off. Been there done that, things happen with tire swaps under pressure at the track.

Manual is all knowing.
No problem.
I will stay with 90 ft/lbs.
Never had a wheel come off.
Cheers,
Mark

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Hi TurbineTed - Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car !! Sent you a pm

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Protect your nuts! I have that set but... they don’t protect the nut itelf... only the wheel. I place small pieces of plastic cut from ziplock bags over the nut and then use a manual lug wrench... works great and protects the titanium lug nuts

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Not sure why someone chose to delete my previous post, but these are the EXACT same made-in-China sockets sold by Harbor Freight for 1/2 the price. If you want to pay twice as much for the same product, knock yourself out.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Not sure why someone chose to delete my previous post, but these are the EXACT same made-in-China sockets sold by Harbor Freight for 1/2 the price. If you want to pay twice as much for the same product, knock yourself out.

I looked at the moderator log. No actions have been taken in this thread.