Tires-Alternative to Goodyear for rear tires (other than Hoosier"slicks")?

David Gooch

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2006
I have tried to find another manufacturer that is acceptable, such as Bridgestone, etc., but no luck. I am not interested in "slicks", which some folks in this area are using. Anyone have some advice or suggestions on this problem?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Welcome!!

Whats wrong with the Bridgestones?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For Rally VI, I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires - They are about as sticky as you can get in a street tire, before going the Hoosier route. I drove to Salt Lake City and back on them, plus all the laps at Miller Motorsports Park. I was extremely satisfied with their track performance, after doing some pressure level tests on the 1st day. Very worthy tire!

"Pilot Sport Cup Track & Competition DOT radials benefit from the same attention to detail that has earned Michelin repeated successes at major endurance races like the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. The Pilot Sport Cup was developed for enthusiasts who participate in track events, as well as for serious drivers on the road. Pilot Sport Cup tires are not intended to be driven on extremely wet roads with standing water where there is the risk of hydroplaning, or in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Sport Cup features a dual zone, side-by-side tread compound with the outboard compound optimized for dry traction and handling while the inboard compound is focused on wet traction. These tread compounds are molded into an asymmetric tread design that features a massive outer shoulder rib to further enhance steering response and cornering stability while circumferential grooves and independent tread blocks on the tread design's inboard portion enhance wet traction."

They are smaller in diameter than the OEM Goodyears - I used 235/40ZR18 on the front and 345/30ZR19 on the rear. The front drops by about ½" and the rear by 3/4". This can then be adjusted with Penske adjustable shocks, available from Alex (MR2Race) to whateverride height you wish.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You need to get the Bridgestone Potenzas. Do a search on it in the forum. You will find many good reviews

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
You need to get the Bridgestone Potenzas. Do a search on it in the forum. You will find many good reviews
Do they fit OEM wheels?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Do they fit OEM wheels?

YES. Tons of folks use. There are quite a few posts. I love them. No comparison to the GY

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
YES. Tons of folks use. There are quite a few posts. I love them. No comparison to the GY

+1

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love Pilot Sport Cups. I wish they were sized like the OEM tires. Once the Pilot Sport Cups start wearing they will look like the Hoosiers (the tread is superficial). I've driven to Vegas, SoCal, SLC & everywhere in between on the Hoosier "slicks"! Unless it's on standing water they work great. They have gone 260+mph with Ray & thousands of miles with me. I actually have real slicks (Goodyear G19s) that I have used on the street & they are too darty. The Hoosiers are great street tires. I'm hooked on the massive traction & corner stickiness. Great tire.

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've driven to Vegas, SoCal, SLC & everywhere in between on the Hoosier "slicks"! Unless it's on standing water they work great. They have gone 260+mph with Ray & thousands of miles with me. I actually have real slicks (Goodyear G19s) that I have used on the street & they are too darty. The Hoosiers are great street tires. I'm hooked on the massive traction & corner stickiness. Great tire.

Ed

I'm with Ed here. I've been using Hoosiers on the street and on the track for 3 years now and will never go back to normal tires.

Chip

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What Ed and Chip say + 10000000

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I love Pilot Sport Cups. I wish they were sized like the OEM tires. Once the Pilot Sport Cups start wearing they will look like the Hoosiers (the tread is superficial). I've driven to Vegas, SoCal, SLC & everywhere in between on the Hoosier "slicks"! Unless it's on standing water they work great. They have gone 260+mph with Ray & thousands of miles with me. I actually have real slicks (Goodyear G19s) that I have used on the street & they are too darty. The Hoosiers are great street tires. I'm hooked on the massive traction & corner stickiness. Great tire.

Ed
I am with Ed, Chip and Torrie as always !The Hoosiers are like crack! My only advice .Clear bra the whole lower rocker ,behind the front and rear wheel arches and the bottom of your rear bumper .Other wise no matter what tire you have the car takes road abuse in those areas.
Although Hoosier has requested that I don't so adamantly recommend them as street tires ,due to their lack of wet performance.Heres a tip .If it rains go slow be careful!Also buy a tire plug kit and leave in you trunk.This applies to all.And yes it will fit in the trunk!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Bridgestone recommendation.

Attachments

• Bridgestone Vs. Stock Goodyear.pdf
    92.2 KB · Views: 189

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Look into Pirelli PZero Corsa System and check out there specs, sizes fit great on stock wheels
I have those on my GT..

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Bridgestones all the way!
On my second set and love em.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The Hoosiers are like crack!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I was just on tire rack and they do not have Bridgestone 265/40R/18 listed. Must be out. Any other source?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I was just on tire rack and they do not have Bridgestone 265/40R/18 listed. Must be out. Any other source?
Go with the 255's. Review the data on the pdf attached to my previous post. Better match to the 345 rears!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Go with the 255's. Review the data on the pdf attached to my previous post. Better match to the 345 rears!
Agreed. The 265s almost make the car look like its squatting. Not that its an issue, but I think the bridgestones are best tire for the money too. I've got 8K miles on mine including many track days and they're still legal