Tire possibilities

H

HHGT

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT.....................

I've been patiently waiting. I'm calling Rodney King and starting a riot....:lol:lol:lol

Thanks for trying. I guess I'll be buying the Hoosiers tomorrow.

Geeeeezzzz, I never thought horsepower could ever be unusable.:willy:willy:willy

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
I am sorry to announce that Dunlop will not be producing tires for the GT.

We have been pushing them to come up with an idea of pricing and delivery time. Unfortunately they came back to us with no interest. Apparently they do not feel there is enough interest to begin making these.

I have already started approaching some other tire companies to see what else we can do. We are very confident that there must be a quality company out there that wants to make good tires for this car, we just need to push them on it.

I am sorry for the negative update.

OK, now where do we go from here, what tire do we buy

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
If you want alternative tires for the factory wheels, there are not very many choices but the choices are wonderful: Hoosier, Michelin and Perelli.
I love my Michelin 345/30Z19's and chose them over Perelli which are very difficult to find in a 345, but if I had a Whipple or TT, I would likely change to Hoosiers in a 40 sidewall. :cheers

H

HHGT

If you want alternative tires for the factory wheels, there are not very many choices but the choices are wonderful: Hoosier, Michelin and Perelli.
I love my Michelin 345/30Z19's and chose them over Perelli which are very difficult to find in a 345, but if I had a Whipple or TT, I would likely change to Hoosiers in a 40 sidewall. :cheers

Roger That Sir.... 40 sidewall:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am sorry to announce that Dunlop will not be producing tires for the GT.

We have been pushing them to come up with an idea of pricing and delivery time. Unfortunately they came back to us with no interest. Apparently they do not feel there is enough interest to begin making these.

I have already started approaching some other tire companies to see what else we can do. We are very confident that there must be a quality company out there that wants to make good tires for this car, we just need to push them on it.

I am sorry for the negative update.

Kyle,
Jim Glikenhaus was at a local car event recently. (big time car collector) He has a 1967 GT 40 mark 4 raced by Donahue and McCleran. Someone asked him about the vintage Goodyear tires. He said they are new rubber compounds cast in the old molds. He Said Goodyear will do this.
I know someone posted that Goodyear wouldn't make the original GT tires out of a different compound. Maybe if they were asked on a larger group buy scale with some guaranteed orders they might view it differently? Maybe the right person wasn't asked at the beginning.. ?

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
Ps2

Is it possible to post pictures of the PS2's on your ride. I think there is already to much space between the Good Years and the wheel well (visually), having a 1" smaller tire would exaggerate this condition. Lowering the suspension could help this problem, however ground clearance may be to low to drive (1" shorter tire combined with 1" lowered spring setting=2")

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kyle, thanks for the update.
We all appreciate Stillen's efforts to approach different tire manufacturers to provide alternative tires that will improve the performance of these awesome cars. :thumbsup

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Is it possible to post pictures of the PS2's on your ride. I think there is already to much space between the Good Years and the wheel well (visually), having a 1" smaller tire would exaggerate this condition. Lowering the suspension could help this problem, however ground clearance may be to low to drive (1" shorter tire combined with 1" lowered spring setting=2")

Email sent.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Kyle,
Jim Glikenhaus was at a local car event recently. (big time car collector) He has a 1967 GT 40 mark 4 raced by Donahue and McCleran. Someone asked him about the vintage Goodyear tires. He said they are new rubber compounds cast in the old molds. He Said Goodyear will do this.
I know someone posted that Goodyear wouldn't make the original GT tires out of a different compound. Maybe if they were asked on a larger group buy scale with some guaranteed orders they might view it differently? Maybe the right person wasn't asked at the beginning.. ?

That is very interesting. We tried Goodyear in the very beginning thinking that it would be easiest to simply have them make the tire with a different compound. The people we talked to seemed very interested but then they called us back and said their company policy prohibited them from doing this. Supposedly their policy is to keep a certain compound once that compound has been chosen.

I will try contacting them again as this would be an easier source than any other company. No new molds would be necessary. Seems to me like it would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the information:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That is very interesting. We tried Goodyear in the very beginning thinking that it would be easiest to simply have them make the tire with a different compound. The people we talked to seemed very interested but then they called us back and said their company policy prohibited them from doing this. Supposedly their policy is to keep a certain compound once that compound has been chosen.

I will try contacting them again as this would be an easier source than any other company. No new molds would be necessary. Seems to me like it would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the information:thumbsup

Kyle,
Here are some photos of Jim's car. The Goodyear tires had logos on both sides back in the day. No "This side out " for these guys.. Jim has a website for his car collection. I don't know him but it probably has some contact info. He maybe a good source for a Goodyear contact ?? I'm going to try to find his website...Good luck and Thanks for your efforts..:thumbsup

Attachments

• PBSCW 08 016.jpg
    PBSCW 08 016.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 119
  • PBSCW 08 019.jpg
    PBSCW 08 019.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm told Goodyear's proto tire shop will make any tire using available compounds, it's just that it's usually $600-700 a tire. The GT500KR they gave to Shelby on his birthday had the new ultra sticky compound and just used the sidewalls from the existing tires. It seems like this would be possible.

Investigating through the chain now. Would this suit your race car Kyle? A stock size GT tire using an R compound with the same tread pattern?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm told Goodyear's proto tire shop will make any tire using available compounds, it's just that it's usually $600-700 a tire. The GT500KR they gave to Shelby on his birthday had the new ultra sticky compound and just used the sidewalls from the existing tires. It seems like this would be possible.

Investigating through the chain now. Would this suit your race car Kyle? A stock size GT tire using an R compound with the same tread pattern?

If we did a group buy with some decent quantities we could probably get the cost down ???

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If we did a group buy with some decent quantities we could probably get the cost down ???

That's what you would think. However, this may be one of those situations where they don't really care about volume discounts. I'd be willing to bet that they would sell several dozen sets to us right off the bat. I drive my car enough that it inevitably gets rained on, and I can't be out in the middle of nowhere on Hoosiers in a downpour.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Hoosier tires

For the folks who run the Hoosier tires at the track on BBS rims (18,19) do you run the stock front tires or change them to Hoosiers too? If so, which ones?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
For the folks who run the Hoosier tires at the track on BBS rims (18,19) do you run the stock front tires or change them to Hoosiers too? If so, which ones?

Hoosiers all they way around. Monumental grip.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007

This is exactly what we wanted to to do when we started searching different tires. The first place we went to was Goodyear. All we wanted was the same tire using an R compound. We were prepared to store 2,000 sets of Dunlops so we would be willing to make the investment to place a large order. It's just a matter of demand and price.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Add me to the list!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Has anyone spoken with Hoosier about a tire with Thread like a Nitto R series?.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Has anyone spoken with Hoosier about a tire with Thread like a Nitto R series?.

That would be a great setup, in fact, if Hoosier would make a slightly less sticky but longer lasting R6 with a few more grooves, they would sell tons of these tires to owners of cars like ours, the Porsche GT3's, Z06's, Lotuses, Ferraris and Vipers. There just aren't enough R compound streetable tires out there that can be driven in light rain. Both Yokohama (AO48) and Toyo (R888 and RA1) make the tires w/ the right treadwear rating of 60 and 100, respectively, but they just don't make the rears for our cars. Would doing a petition to either or both companies be worth the effort?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires for stock wheels

I am in for any of these newly suggested tire possibilities. Durability is NOT a concern for me, grip is. If Goodyear has the program to do something already in place, that seems like a quicker solution than going to other companies and trying to get them to respond. It seems to me that Hoosier, because of their size and heritage, may be the only other option to get some attention.

Any thought about having a wider front tire to help balance the car while still fitting on the stock wheel? Is it necessary? Those that have Hoosiers, do they get rid of the understeer????

Another Hoosier question, any thought about having the Hoosier's cut with a tread pattern to make them more compliant in the rain? I would think there are folks out there that cut tires for racing in the rain that could do this for us.

Jim