ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I, along with several other members, have been pushing, cajoling, griping, pleading, and carping at some of our fellow GT owners who have the expertise, ability, and facilities to produce this most desirable Ford GT modification. And after two solid years of requests and all of the time and effort that went into it......I can't tell a bit of difference! The end result is thoroughly unremarkable. I almost can't believe it. Even upon the closest of inspection, I don't believe anyone could see any difference. Which is precisely the result I hoped for.

It looks exactly the same as before......only, without the flaws. Without the warping. Without the cracks.

Both of the side vents on my Ford GT had warped. Both of my top vents had badly warped and the post-holding one of them to the clamshell had broken off completely. The side vents are of relatively soft and pliable plastic. The top vents are much harder and more brittle plastic. The failure rate on these pieces, at least cosmetically on GTs that are driven, will ultimately be close to 100%.

I was not sure it would be possible to machine these pieces out of billet aluminum such that they maintained the look and color of the original plastic pieces so they were not visually distinguishable. A tremendous amount of skill would be required to pull this off. I requested a powder coat finish for maximum durability that had to be an exact color match to the original paint.

Pe2unia and Shadowman have risen to the occasion. This entire process has been covered extensively in another thread but I am so impressed with the results now that I finally have them installed on my car, that I thought I should take one final opportunity to show them off here and lord them over some of our less fortunate members who did not take advantage of the opportunity to have these extraordinary pieces built for their cars. I understand that Petunia and Shadowman have a few spares so at least a couple members still have an opportunity to acquire these.

Five years from now, everybody who doesn't have these on their car, is going to wish that they did. Thank you gentlemen for the time and effort you put into this. Those warped vents were like a big zit on the bare butt of a beautiful girl. An unwanted distraction.

Take a look at the photos below. Both the top vents and side vents shown here are machined billet aluminum. The coloration of the side vents matches the matt black finish of the original plastic pieces exactly. The gloss black powder coat finish on the top vents is a flawless match to the paint surrounding it on the clamshell. Can you see any difference? Incredible.

All the best.

Chip

Attachments

• Vent 1.jpg
    Vent 1.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Vent 2.jpg
    Vent 2.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Vent 3.jpg
    Vent 3.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 1,190
Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Can you repost the link to the thread to buy the side vents?
Thanks

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Chip
Thanks for sharing your upgrade. I agree with you 100%. The vents are absolutely stunning and IMO, a must have for all owners. My vents also suffered from warpage and these replacement will put an end to that problem.
John
IMG_0900.jpg

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Funny thing you bring this up Chip as they made it into my conversation just a short while ago with the same admiration.

Again;

Thank you Petunia for making them.

Thank you Shadowman for putting the finishing touches on them.

....and thank you Chip for cajoling the above mentioned, to lend their skill in making this happen.

:thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i want to buy these vents for my GT now! since my GT is black with silver stripes i need black side vents and silver top vents. can anybody tell me who makes these and where i can buy them?

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you all for the kind words; I enjoyed being a part of the project.

All the best

Shadowman

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Vents

My vents have not warped yet... I just ordered them because I thought they were free... haha.:cheers
The new ones look perfect!
Thanks Shadowman.

Aug 25, 2006
My vents have not warped yet... I just ordered them because I thought they were free... haha.:cheers
Thanks Shadowman.

Thank you GordonWolf and on behalf of Petunia and the machinist I extend their appreciation for the kind words too.

Takes care

Shadowman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Inside joke.

My vents have not warped yet... I just ordered them because I thought they were free.

:lol :lol :lol

You made my night Gordon!

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Snooze....you lose.

i want to buy these vents for my GT now! since my GT is black with silver stripes i need black side vents and silver top vents. can anybody tell me who makes these and where i can buy them?

Freddy,

Send a PM to Pe2unia and he'll take care of you. Only a few sets are left so if anybody wants these I would contact Pe2unia ASAP.

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The problem is, you guys have black vents. Go look at the old posts about white on RED. Perfect match. Not one single person has been disappointed in these items. That's one hell of a marketing tool (besides Gordon, who is a tool himself)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
All fellow GT owners these are a must have. I rec'd mine a while ago but was a way and only put them on this week. They are fantastic and some of the best machined parts I have seen and own. My top vents are blue to match existing, which they do Perfectly and black side vents. Again matched perfectly. My car is white with blue stripe. I have had NO problems with my OEM vents to date with 7000 miles on the car. These were just too good to pass up and based on all that has been said here I would expect the OEM vents to eventually warp. I am pro-active vs re-active when possible.
Pe2unia and machinist (whom ever you are) GREAT WORK!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
Shadowman GREAT paint job on both sets. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
You would never know there weren't OEM directly from the factory the day the car was built!!
Another excellent addition to this already fantastic automobile.
:cheers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks Shadowman.

No, they're not free, you get paid for your development testing time to install them on your car. I got $500 for my efforts. (Kidding.) Really, Great work on a super product. I'm happy the engineering process continues to allow our cars to "evolve" into even better machines.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks everyone for the kind comments as we had the best team possible to put all of this together.:cheers Here is an update on the top and side vents as of today. We do have several of the side vents still available but the top vents we are all out of BUT we do have an ongoing list as I am trying to get the machinist to make another run for those who missed out. The catch is we will need at least ten sets of top vents committed for and he will agree to get the next batch going as soon as possible. So as it stands right now we sit at four sets on the waiting list so if you would like a set send me a PM and I will get you added to the list. Thanks again for all of the kind words as it was truly a pleasure working with everyone.:thumbsup

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I am in please. let me know how to proceed.I would like the side vents ,and the top vents in white.thank you

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am in please. let me know how to proceed.I would like the side vents ,and the top vents in white.thank you

I have you on the list and a PM is on the way.

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
Put me on that list for top and side vents please.
Thanks
Hubert

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Put me on that list for top and side vents please.
Thanks
Hubert

Jazz I have you on the list:thumbsup You are number six on our list with four more to go.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
pe2unia - i sent you a PM.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
pe2unia,

Please put me on the list for a set of top vents.

Best Regards,
Waldo