The same 2017 Ford GT going up for sale again

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I think your perception is dead on. Last time around (2005-2006) there were plenty of otherwise-non-exotic-car-buyers purchasing Ford GTs. Many of them were blue collar domestic guys who never had an interest in these kind of cars (and these kind of prices...) before the GT.

I think a similar pattern is happening this time around. The NFGT is far more expensive. It’s also far more exclusive. Just like last time, people are pulling financial levers they normally wouldn’t have pulled to buy this one. Some of those levers are selling stocks, property, their last GT or taking out a line of credit (or all four...).

I financed my last GT and I’ll be financing this one. Ask anyone, from a captain of industry to a stock broker to a poor schlub trying to afford a half-million-dollar car: You don’t live or die by any single financial decision but by your long-term success/failure in making those decisions. I’m happy with my pattern in this area, though I’m sure many folks wouldn’t have done it that way.

P.S. I live in Southern California too, and I’m guessing a frightening percentage of the dream cars we see driving these roads everyday are financed. :biggrin

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my comment and perhaps my perception has been skewed by the 4 NFGT owners that I know personally in LA. One is a Youtuber and rents his house. The other three owners lives in a 2-3 million dollar homes and had to take a line of credit from their bank to purchase their NFGT. I was brought up fiscally conservative, so I don't necessary agree with purchasing a toy that makes up a large chunk of their total asset allocation.

I do agree with you on cars with motorsport linkage. I very much appreciate my Porsche 911 GT1 and its historical significance at Lemans.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
P.S. I live in Southern California too, and I’m guessing a frightening percentage of the dream cars we see driving these roads everyday are financed. :biggrin

Leased. Everyone knows what happens when they come off warranty.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
However, ask yourself this question: What is the market-clearing number of units? That is, how many would satisfy the demand for new cars? 1500? 2000? I suspect it's below 2000, after all, we are talking about $500K cars and there aren't that many people who both want and can afford one.

Lamborghini has built 8000 Aventadors and counting, so there seems to be room in the market.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well guiding this thread back on track, this was sent to me by another forum member. It looks like this saga might not be done yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/07...uction-revealed-as-litigation-continues.html#

Last edited:

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Can't help it, we got sunshine all year round and great canyons roads/race tracks here. :thumbsup

Wow that's quite an interesting stat! Looks like you are doing your part :wink

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Well guiding this thread back on track, this was sent to me by another forum member. It looks like this saga might not be done yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/07...uction-revealed-as-litigation-continues.html#

Yes, back on track...a little bird now tells me that the aforementioned car is now consigned at Mecum Monterey. So much for an enthusiast buying it at Mecum Indy.

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I have been hesitant to comment but it's been weighing on my conscious, so here goes. I have been reading and based on all the talk about the NGT, it seems that only multimillionaires were allocated cars. If everyone who got a NGT can stroke two checks for the car that's great but that also sounds like very few "normal" guys who will have to scrape and scratch to come up with the money are few to none. Maybe a number of people were selected and just gave up their allocation for financial reasons.

This post has nothing to do about who has a lot of money or not, but did your SES matter on initial selection. (I know your bank account number was not on the application). I love seeing all your cars and absolutely I'm envious I was not selected for one of the first 750. I do hope that my ability to stroke 2 big checks has nothing to do with selection. I know with only 750 cars allocated you can't compare to 4038 and I wasn't really around to buy when the 05-06 came out. I know after years of reading about the history of the car and reading many forum members posts over the years, that many on here bought that car even though it made no sense financially and they NEVER would have bought a car for that much money, but it was a FORD GT.

I know that most of you on here allocated a car deserved it way more than me due to your loyalty to the Ford GT from the initial original purchase in 05-06 and the ambassadors you have been for the car. I do hope to see a few go to some of us that will scrape, scratch, sell, finance, or whatever it takes to get one. If allocated in the next go around, I'll probably get a divorce because my wife will truly lose her sanity with such a purchase. I've already been thinking what I have to do or sell to be able to have one if so lucky. I get so disappointed that some people are going to want the car (and buy the car) just because they have the money for this unicorn, not because that absolutely love the car and are FGT fanatics.

There, now it's off my chest.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have been hesitant to comment but it's been weighing on my conscious, so here goes. I have been reading and based on all the talk about the NGT, it seems that only multimillionaires were allocated cars. If everyone who got a NGT can stroke two checks for the car that's great but that also sounds like very few "normal" guys who will have to scrape and scratch to come up with the money are few to none. Maybe a number of people were selected and just gave up their allocation for financial reasons.

This post has nothing to do about who has a lot of money or not, but did your SES matter on initial selection. (I know your bank account number was not on the application). I love seeing all your cars and absolutely I'm envious I was not selected for one of the first 750. I do hope that my ability to stroke 2 big checks has nothing to do with selection. I know with only 750 cars allocated you can't compare to 4038 and I wasn't really around to buy when the 05-06 came out. I know after years of reading about the history of the car and reading many forum members posts over the years, that many on here bought that car even though it made no sense financially and they NEVER would have bought a car for that much money, but it was a FORD GT.

I know that most of you on here allocated a car deserved it way more than me due to your loyalty to the Ford GT from the initial original purchase in 05-06 and the ambassadors you have been for the car. I do hope to see a few go to some of us that will scrape, scratch, sell, finance, or whatever it takes to get one. If allocated in the next go around, I'll probably get a divorce because my wife will truly lose her sanity with such a purchase. I've already been thinking what I have to do or sell to be able to have one if so lucky. I get so disappointed that some people are going to want the car (and buy the car) just because they have the money for this unicorn, not because that absolutely love the car and are FGT fanatics.

There, now it's off my chest.

You’re good. The financial strength of potential buyers has no impact on the application or selection process. I was one of those guys who would not have spent as much money for another car in 2006, and I feel the same way today. There are so many reasonably priced cars that provide all the thrills an enthusiast could want, that unless someone has a strong passion to own a particular, expensive car or cars, they are a waste of money.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Back again, it’s called cover your ASS because here comes FORD and you told me I could buy it and not be sued by Ford. The poor Ford GT is getting a bad rap! Shame on you Dana Mecum for selling it when other auction houses wouldn’t because they knew better and you were mad at Ford! Let’s see what the outcome of this is? All done in spite because Dana wasn’t chosen and his Son was!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, back on track...a little bird now tells me that the aforementioned car is now consigned at Mecum Monterey. So much for an enthusiast buying it at Mecum Indy.

You heard it here first...:biggrin

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0818-336746/2017-ford-gt/

Last edited:

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Unbelievable.

1997spider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 11, 2018
Washington D.C.
REALLY???? :facepalm:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
LOL. This car may be the main attraction at every Mecum auction for the next year. Good grief.

Chip

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Total BS

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dana Mecum May own the GT now and have $1,815,000 in it! Ha He deserves it after his comments, he’s a hothead and is mad at Ford!

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Dana Mecum May own the GT now and have $1,815,000 in it! Ha He deserves it after his comments, he’s a hothead and is mad at Ford!

I didn't think of that- maybe so...

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
It has 8 miles on it now going on and off all of those car carriers!

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
NFGT for sale! Again....

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...sold-for-1-8m-at-auction-is-up-for-sale-again

2005 FGT #30
2017 NFGT #H043
2017 GT350R #H249
2017 Focus RS #H756

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007