The same 2017 Ford GT going up for sale again

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
About the only reason I care about the NFGT rising in value is to not have to hear my wife with the “I told you so” routine. Other than that it’s completely irrelevant to me. My original 05 isn’t going anywhere and neither is the new one when I get it. I’ve owned and sold many exotics over the years but the GT’s simply own me. I know that sounds corny but it’s a short way to explain a very personal and deep feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve owned and sold many exotics over the years but the GT’s simply own me.

Well said!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
At 1.5-2.0 million range, you are competing with the P1/918/Pagani/Koenisegg and when the market hype dies down, normal market values will take over.

Of those cars, I would say only the 918 is comparable to the new GT. McLaren seems intent on pumping out as many models in their Ultimate Series as they can, so it is probably too early to tell whether they will be collectible. Pagani and Koenigsegg are low volume, but not limited in any way.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Gentlemen,

The P1/918/Pagani/Koenisegg's are all great cars but they aren't strikingly beautiful like the new GT is. I predict market values above 1M from here on out. 10 years ago I argued with Bony about the '05-'06 GT's appreciating. He said there were too many of them. I said there was more demand than cars even with production of 4038 cars. Like all Ford GT's before, the new GT is a timeless classic the moment it rolls out of the factory. Cheers. Chip

I dunno about the NFGT, but the FGT sold about as many as the market could bear. That's why the prices of them fell to MSRP in the second year, and some of the last ones even hung around unsold at dealerships for more a year. Ford also truncated planned production from 4500 units to the 4035/4038 final number. The marketing dept. estimated the market quite accurately, and when the sales started falling off, they stopped further production. And, since they weren't produced in greater numbers than the market demand, they held their value quite well until 6 years ago when they started to bump up in price.

Given the apparent demand now, if Ford sticks to the 1000 production plan, they will leave some of the market unsatisfied. That should maintain upward price pressure after they come up for resale. However, ask yourself this question: What is the market-clearing number of units? That is, how many would satisfy the demand for new cars? 1500? 2000? I suspect it's below 2000, after all, we are talking about $500K cars and there aren't that many people who both want and can afford one.

Let's say the market-clearing number is 1500 new units. If the supply/demand curve is roughly linear (i.e., if price goes up 20%, demand drops 20%), then for an available supply of 1000 units, but a demand of 1500 units at $500K (50% more demand than supply), the price should go up about 50%, stabilizing around $750K, approximately. That's my estimate. I can't see that it would settle at $1M, especially as competing alternatives become available too--such as the McLaren 720 (especially if it depreciates like most McLarens have!).

Yeah, it's a unique car with a unique racing link, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
There is no doubt that the NFGT is a beautiful car and I think over time, it will age very well. :thumbsup

However, your average NFGT buyers are not in the same category as the P1/Pagani/LaFerrari buyers. I bet you the majority of the NFGT owners purchased their cars through financing of some sort. The reason why the current market price NFGT is this high is because there are only a few cars available for sale and thousands of people who want the car now. Give it a few years and once the 2 year no-sale clause from Ford expires, more cars will come to the secondary market and the value will drop significantly.

Here is my prediction. In three years time, value will drop to 750-850k and it still stay there for another 5 years. After that (8 years from now), value will start surpassing the 1 million dollar mark again. :cheers

Gentlemen,

The P1/918/Pagani/Koenisegg's are all great cars but they aren't strikingly beautiful like the new GT is. I predict market values above 1M from here on out. 10 years ago I argued with Bony about the '05-'06 GT's appreciating. He said there were too many of them. I said there was more demand than cars even with production of 4038 cars. Like all Ford GT's before, the new GT is a timeless classic the moment it rolls out of the factory. Cheers.

Chip

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
And I’ll bet that the majority of new GTs are NOT financed. On the forum, we are aware of the enthusiast purchasers, but I reckon the majority of cars are going to dealers etc, none of whom would worry about dropping 600 large for a car. All this navel gazing is fascinating though, if we all were so good at automotive investing, we’d all be mega rich!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
All the experts amaze me when most don’t even know true facts about people who are purchasing this piece of art!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is no doubt that the NFGT is a beautiful car and I think over time, it will age very well. :thumbsup

However, your average NFGT buyers are not in the same category as the P1/Pagani/LaFerrari buyers. I bet you the majority of the NFGT owners purchased their cars through financing of some sort. The reason why the current market price NFGT is this high is because there are only a few cars available for sale and thousands of people who want the car now. Give it a few years and once the 2 year no-sale clause from Ford expires, more cars will come to the secondary market and the value will drop significantly.

Here is my prediction. In three years time, value will drop to 750-850k and it still stay there for another 5 years. After that (8 years from now), value will start surpassing the 1 million dollar mark again. :cheers

I’m with Texas Mongrel all the way on this one. I think you’re right that the “average NFGT buyers are not in the same category as the P1/Pagani/LaFerrari buyers,” but for a different reason than the one you stated. Most of the GT owners I know are real car enthusiasts who are the counter example to Veblen’s theory. Merely to make the point and not to brag, I could buy any of the cars you mentioned if I had any interest in them, which I have none. Actually, less than none, because without a strong link to motorsports, I think they are just silly, ridiculously expensive baubles. I have more interest in the race winning Corvette. Yeah, shocking to some, but true. So, just because we don’t post an asset list in our forum signature, don’t assume we’re poor schmucks financing NFGT purchases at 10%.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Selling one kidney and getting a reverse mortgage on my house allowed me to achieve my dream of a new FGT :lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Selling one kidney and getting a reverse mortgage on my house allowed me to achieve my dream of a new FGT :lol

:lol

One of my corneas is winging its way to Beijing as we speak.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I can drive a car with one kidney....your depth perception will be all screwed up.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I can drive a car with one kidney....your depth perception will be all screwed up.

:lol
Elitist nonsense provides never-ending entertainment.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
However, your average NFGT buyers are not in the same category as the P1/Pagani/LaFerrari buyers. I bet you the majority of the NFGT owners purchased their cars through financing of some sort.

Gentlemen,

I’d take that bet all day long. There are probably a couple members here that used a line of credit or home equity but the vast majority of NFGT buyers just wrote a check. There are a dozen NFGT owners here in AZ and every one of them could not only write a check for their new GT without blinking, they could probably write a check for my entire existence and not miss the money! These cars are toys and appreciation may be likely but is far from assured. Financing toys is generally not a good idea. All the best.

Chip

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Chip - correct . Work hard , Save hard , prioritize.

But it was actually two (2) checks …
1. Down payment
2. Final check on delivery
andy (ajb)

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I’m with Texas Mongrel all the way on this one. I think you’re right that the “average NFGT buyers are not in the same category as the P1/Pagani/LaFerrari buyers,” but for a different reason than the one you stated. Most of the GT owners I know are real car enthusiasts who are the counter example to Veblen’s theory. Merely to make the point and not to brag, I could buy any of the cars you mentioned if I had any interest in them, which I have none. Actually, less than none, because without a strong link to motorsports, I think they are just silly, ridiculously expensive baubles. I have more interest in the race winning Corvette. Yeah, shocking to some, but true. So, just because we don’t post an asset list in our forum signature, don’t assume we’re poor schmucks financing NFGT purchases at 10%.

Well said!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Selling one's organs can net you some cash, but I prefer being the middle man and brokering. Stocks can net a broker a lot of income, but fresh organs even more. A blood type and HLA haplotypes and away we go.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my comment and perhaps my perception has been skewed by the 4 NFGT owners that I know personally in LA. One is a Youtuber and rents his house. The other three owners lives in a 2-3 million dollar homes and had to take a line of credit from their bank to purchase their NFGT. I was brought up fiscally conservative, so I don't necessary agree with purchasing a toy that makes up a large chunk of their total asset allocation.

I do agree with you on cars with motorsport linkage. I very much appreciate my Porsche 911 GT1 and its historical significance at Lemans.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my comment and perhaps my perception has been skewed by the 4 NFGT owners that I know personally in LA. One is a Youtuber and rents his house. The other three owners lives in a 2-3 million dollar homes and had to take a line of credit from their bank to purchase their NFGT. I was brought up fiscally conservative, so I don't necessary agree with purchasing a toy that makes up a large chunk of their total asset allocation.

I do agree with you on cars with motorsport linkage. I very much appreciate my Porsche 911 GT1 and its historical significance at Lemans.

Your perception has everything to do with the fact that your reference points are people from LA. I wouldn’t make the mistake of applying those conclusions to the rest of the country.

Last edited:

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
True, but within 100 miles radius of LA, this area consumes 60% of the world's production sports car each year.

Your perception has everything to do with the fact that your reference points are people from LA. I wouldn’t make the mistake of applying those conclusions to the rest of the country.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Wow that's quite an interesting stat! Looks like you are doing your part :wink