The New Shelby GT350

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Paul, a pretty constant audio pull in the dyno video but mid range engine torque seems a bit funky. Pretty flat torque curve though once it pierces the 350 ftlb range, which is impressive. Likely the torque dip is a manifestation of intake/exhaust tuning per the R&T discussion.

"Conventional V-8s don't alternate evenly between the banks, so the benefit of a flat-plane crank is all in the way the intake and exhaust manifolds are tuned. Because of the even firing, engineers can construct the manifolds to take advantage of resonances. More air in and more air out means more power." Yep, the engine is nothing but an "air pump".

Peak power appears flat as well with the maximum power occurring at 7200 rpm, so you do not have to go anywhere near the 8200 rpm redline (as most owners will like to do) to extract maximum power. A shift at 7500 rpm for instance would be just fine. (As power is actually rolling off)

Hurry up and get one of these beasts!:biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
peak power appears flat as well with the maximum power occurring at 7200 rpm, so you do not have to go anywhere near the 8200 rpm redline (as most owners will like to do) to extract maximum power. A shift at 7500 rpm for instance would be just fine. (As power is actually rolling off)

A lot of development in the article (good) about the powerband (results mitigated by testing environment?), but presented it is as if it's a static measurement of drivability of the car. It doesn't address performance in conjunction with the transmission/gear spacing - relative placement (of rpm) to speed in gears. e.g. you may well find performance is optimized by using the upper rpm band to obtain optimal placement in the next successive gear, even though the power may have trailed off. Wouldn't be an issue with a successor 8 sped sequential box. :wink:biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Hurry up and get one of these beasts!:biggrin

I'm trying Bill, but I'm unwilling to bend over far enough to take the ADM on the R.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
PED-graphs.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
"Conventional V-8s don't alternate evenly between the banks, so the benefit of a flat-plane crank is all in the way the intake and exhaust manifolds are tuned. Because of the even firing, engineers can construct the manifolds to take advantage of resonances. More air in and more air out means more power." Yep, the engine is nothing but an "air pump".

Regular V8s are even firing, at least in respect to crankshaft rotation, whereas a flat plane isn't. You can get similar breathing advantages of a flat plane crank by using a bundle of snakes type exhaust headers. Packaging however is more challenging.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Regular V8s are even firing, at least in respect to crankshaft rotation, whereas a flat plane isn't. You can get similar breathing advantages of a flat plane crank by using a bundle of snakes type exhaust headers. Packaging however is more challenging.
Flat Plane Cranks (including the voodoo) have even firing orders

While a bundle of snakes exhaust solves the breathing disadvantage of a CPC's exhaust, it does not address the problem of intake scavenging, which a FPC will still have an advantage.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Wouldn't be an issue with a successor 8 sped sequential box. :wink:biggrin

I sure hope they do this before the production run ends!!!! or dual clutch, etc. I wish it was an option!!!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I'm trying Bill, but I'm unwilling to bend over far enough to take the ADM on the R.

Hang in there. They will be available, just like the FGT was in the latter stages of the offering.:biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Hang in there. They will be available, just like the FGT was in the latter stages of the offering.:biggrin

Yep. Patience is probably my only virtue.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
In addition to those oil wells in Texas.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
350R is finally here after ten month wait chassis #GR152

Attachments

• 20160406_195435.jpg
    20160406_195435.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20160406_194020.jpg
    20160406_194020.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 236

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Beautiful. I'm sure your face will be hurting from that big smile.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm starting to see and, more importantly, hear them on the street. Congratulations. New colors for 2017:

image.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Is that Grabber up front? I thought it was a bit darker? What's the shade of blue on the second car?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
CJ428
That car is awesome. You are very fortunate to acquire one. Congrats.

Bonehead
It's called Lightning Blue. New color for 2017 along with the Grabber Blue and Ruby Red. Discontinued for 2017 are Deep Impact Blue and Competition Orange.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
A nice choice of new colors I can't get.

What we really need is to add about 5000 more units of production.

My 2017 allocation for my store is a stinking single unit and not an R. Depressing to say the least. We are still well short of GT500 volumes.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
CJ428
That car is awesome. You are very fortunate to acquire one. Congrats.

Bonehead
It's called Lightning Blue. New color for 2017 along with the Grabber Blue and Ruby Red. Discontinued for 2017 are Deep Impact Blue and Competition Orange.

Thanks, Rick

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Bummed about Competition Orange. That should have been an R exclusive color.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Bummed about Competition Orange. That should have been an R exclusive color.

It's not the best orange. I mean it's fine, and I think an orange R with a black roof would have been awesome, but we have a Lime Rock M3 here, and it makes Competition Orange look pretty milky.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Yep, they should have started with the 60's palate. Grabber orange.