Texas Mile - March, 2007 - Anyone Going?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
At Lemoore on an excessively hot day the GT did 171, and an SRT-10 did 159 mph. I think you can probably add 3-4 mph to both of those.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
OK, first official post. Just got home. I drove down yesterday and got there too late to run but the Cimino Brothers GT with the Hennessey 700 kit (pulley,straight FRPP headers and tune and I don't know what else) had already started laying down around 184 mph. They stayed there all weekend with ,I believe, a 185 as best run. John Hennessey might be able to confim this. They also had Hoosiers all the way around. Damn, that car was loud! I'd say there were only a couple of other cars there that were louder and they weren't street legal.

I signed up this morning and my first run I looked at my speedo at the 3/4 mile point and thought I was going to overrun my limit so I backed out before the traps and only ran a 173. Things happen fast at that speed! I've never run that fast before so all this was new to me.

My next pass I took off a little too gently, missed the 4th to 5th shift and still ran a 183.

I then let my 18 year old son make a pass and I told him to hold it around 150 since he had never driven the car before. I guess 165 is "around" 150 because that's what he ran. Talk about a pumped kid!!

Next pass I did a 188 and some change so I couldn't quit that close to 190 and decided to go one more time. Everything went great except a 15 mph headwind had kicked up by now and was bad enough to have the track officials warn the motorcyclists about getting blown off the track.

I looked at my speedo as I went through the traps and the needle was flying well past 190 and still pulling like a freight train. We had learned that the speedo reads high compared to the timing lights but I thought I had enough margin to have still cleared 190. I was heartbroken when they handed my time slip showing 189.583. A lousy 3/10s of one mile per hour short!! I said "Screw it, I'm rounding up!" Got my official certificate and drove the 400 miles home. I have no doubt the car can easily break 190 with a more experienced driver and even I could have done it with no headwind.

I'll let Ripper tell his own story but he did 192 on his second to last run and the rumor in the pits was he had some kind of problem on his last run.Very nice guy by the way. That car has tremendous potential.

I can't say enough about my car. Drive it 400 miles, ran the piss out of it several times, and it drove and handled like nothing had ever happened on the 400 mile trip home. No ill effects at all.

By the way, a Mitsubishi Evo 4 cylinder set a new record for it's class...202MPH!!!!I think the only thing that beat it was Hennesseys full boat race car, the 1200 HP Viper Competition Coupe at 217 MPH, also a track record for a car. It will be feature on the Speed Channels Speed Records show later this year. It was driven by a Motor Trend journalist so obviously it'll be in their mag also.

A good time was had by all (except the lady who ran her motorcycle off the end of the track Saturday morning!) Just a broken wrist I heard.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I am guessing this was in your red car?

Any word on Ripper?

Congrats!!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What are Texas Gt's mods?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What are Texas Gt's mods?

Yes, the red car, sorry.

Mods are Whipple, 19 lb pulley, Accufab throttle body, Accufab x-pipe, tuned by Heffner and short shifter. 732 rwhp on Heffners dyno.

Love that car.:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Awesome :cheers Wish I could have been there!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Awesome :cheers Wish I could have been there!

They go again in October. Make plans now. But I will admit it seems like a long way to come just for 5 or 6 runs. You could do more but I began to feel guilty about thrashing my car. I love it too much.

But I'm extremely glad I did it 'cause nobody can take my 190 (rounded up) away from me now!! No more bench racing and quoting magazine speeds for me. I've been there, done that!:cheers Still pumped if you can't tell.

BTW, one of the record setters was shooting to hold the record for worlds fastest demolition derby car. It was a huge old stripped down Cadillac that was gutted and braced with steel beams and angle iron. That thing could have taken a side hit from a train and bounced off. No glass, the exhaust came straight up out of the hood like stacks and a spray can paint job. It had a 500 ci Caddy motor and set a "record" of 97 mph. That was by far the slowest thing out there because I never heard any speeds announced that were below 140 and those were for vehicles like Mallett Tahoes and tow vehicles people were playing with. Old beaters were the ones that would surprise you. Obviously they put all the money in the engine because there were some butt ugly cars out there doing tremendous speeds.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Texas GT, any guess on how fast you could have gone if you weren't required to stay at 190?, Also did you or anybody else you know use a g meter or similar, to measure max accleteration G's. Was wheel spin/throttle moduation tricky.

Hope you had a great time.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Yes, the red car, sorry.

Mods are Whipple, 19 lb pulley, Accufab throttle body, Accufab x-pipe, tuned by Heffner and short shifter. 732 rwhp on Heffners dyno.

Love that car.:thumbsup

TexasGT,

Great runs. I'm sure that headwind kept you from going a fair bit faster. How long did you allow for cool down between runs, and what octane fuel were you running?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keith,

Glad you had a good time and that the GT ran well.

Wish I could have made it, but after spending another session in the dentist chair on Friday, I really didn’t fell up to the EXCITEMENT.

Congratulations on maxing out the Goliad limit of 190 without a cage. :thumbsup

Fred

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
OK, first official post. Just got home. I drove down yesterday and got there too late to run but the Cimino Brothers GT with the Hennessey 700 kit (pulley,straight FRPP headers and tune and I don't know what else) had already started laying down around 184 mph. They stayed there all weekend with ,I believe, a 185 as best run. John Hennessey might be able to confim this. They also had Hoosiers all the way around. Damn, that car was loud! I'd say there were only a couple of other cars there that were louder and they weren't street legal.

I signed up this morning and my first run I looked at my speedo at the 3/4 mile point and thought I was going to overrun my limit so I backed out before the traps and only ran a 173. Things happen fast at that speed! I've never run that fast before so all this was new to me.

My next pass I took off a little too gently, missed the 4th to 5th shift and still ran a 183.

I then let my 18 year old son make a pass and I told him to hold it around 150 since he had never driven the car before. I guess 165 is "around" 150 because that's what he ran. Talk about a pumped kid!!

Next pass I did a 188 and some change so I couldn't quit that close to 190 and decided to go one more time. Everything went great except a 15 mph headwind had kicked up by now and was bad enough to have the track officials warn the motorcyclists about getting blown off the track.

I looked at my speedo as I went through the traps and the needle was flying well past 190 and still pulling like a freight train. We had learned that the speedo reads high compared to the timing lights but I thought I had enough margin to have still cleared 190. I was heartbroken when they handed my time slip showing 189.583. A lousy 3/10s of one mile per hour short!! I said "Screw it, I'm rounding up!" Got my official certificate and drove the 400 miles home. I have no doubt the car can easily break 190 with a more experienced driver and even I could have done it with no headwind.

I'll let Ripper tell his own story but he did 192 on his second to last run and the rumor in the pits was he had some kind of problem on his last run.Very nice guy by the way. That car has tremendous potential.

I can't say enough about my car. Drive it 400 miles, ran the piss out of it several times, and it drove and handled like nothing had ever happened on the 400 mile trip home. No ill effects at all.

By the way, a Mitsubishi Evo 4 cylinder set a new record for it's class...202MPH!!!!I think the only thing that beat it was Hennesseys full boat race car, the 1200 HP Viper Competition Coupe at 217 MPH, also a track record for a car. It will be feature on the Speed Channels Speed Records show later this year. It was driven by a Motor Trend journalist so obviously it'll be in their mag also.

A good time was had by all (except the lady who ran her motorcycle off the end of the track Saturday morning!) Just a broken wrist I heard.

Keith,

Was a Pleasure meeting and hanging with you and your family !!!!!!!

We all had a Great Time !!!!

Everyone was very nice and we were all just out to have a good time..

I can agree with the speedo running a bit fast in these cars..

My first run I looked over at my speedo and it was around 190 and I did'nt
want to run over... ended up slowing a bit and hitting the brakes a bit too soon and netted a 173 pass...

The second pass was alot more fun !!!!!

I ran the car up to 200 and then shifted into sixth gear and held it there..
I knew for sure I was going to get into trouble with the officials...
I netted a 192mph pass..... Much Fun :thumbsup

My final pass was great in the begining... I put a little more boost
in the car to make a killer run.... I was still running pump gas
and forgot to run the good fuel... Anyway the car did'nt like
that too much as I approached the big end of the track so I got
out of it quick so as to not hurt anything and netted a 160mph run..

It was then we decided to make the long 400mile journey back
home... We ended up getting caught in a killer rainstorm on the way
back and I spent 9 1/2 hours in the GT getting home..

The headwind definitly hurt us a bit..

I would love to make it to the next event ...

Hopefully we will meet up again soon...

That whipple set up sure looks Bad Ass !!!!!! Polished everything !!!!!

Jerry...

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
WE WILL BE THERE FOR BOTH DAYS. ARE YOU DRIVING OR TRAILERING? IF YOU DRIVE DOWN WE WILL SAVE YOU A SPACE IN OUR PIT AREA.

Congrats Again John !!!!!!!

Awesome Runs with the Comp Coupe !!!!!

One hell of a ride !!!!!!!!

It was a pleasure meeting you and crew !!!!!
Everyone was very nice and It's great to
finally put a face with the name..

Thanks Very Much for the Hospitality by letting us pit with you
and the gracious use of your facilities and rig....
It was appreciated greatly !!!!!!!

We all had a Great Time!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to doing this again !!!!!! :cheers

Jerry....

Mar 15, 2006
Texas GT, great to meet you and your family - your 190 mph run is very impressive! Ripper's GT TT was great to see in action too. Mr. Cimino's GT700 did well too I thought with numerous 180 passes with a best of 185 mph.

It was a good day for the GT's and I would recommend this event to any GT owner looking for a place to safely stretch the legs of your machine!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Texas GT, any guess on how fast you could have gone if you weren't required to stay at 190?, Also did you or anybody else you know use a g meter or similar, to measure max accleteration G's. Was wheel spin/throttle moduation tricky.

Hope you had a great time.

Actually, I was running all out on that last pass and not worried about breaking the 190 class limit. 190 was all the car would do on that day with that head wind and this driver. The car had more speed in it, I just didn't want to pound it any more.

I saw one or two cars with what looked like G-meters mounted but I didn't talk to them. The traction was much better than I expected and I probably could have launched a lot harder. I am used to typical oily streets and didn't adapt quickly enough to the better surface. That's why I say the car had more speed left in it, but it was handicapped by an inexperienced driver.

TexasGT,

Great runs. I'm sure that headwind kept you from going a fair bit faster. How long did you allow for cool down between runs, and what octane fuel were you running?

We usually had about 30 minutes or more waiting in line to run again. I just popped my clamshell and let it air out but the strong wind helped cool it down. When I got to the line the car would actually be at 150 degrees or less each time. It cooled down fast. I was running 93 pump gas straight out of the Beeville Texas Valero station.:lol

Last edited:

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
What kind of rwhp does your comp coupe put down and how muchdoes it weigh John? Looks like all you guys had a ton of fun and turned out some great results!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2006
What kind of rwhp does your comp coupe put down and how muchdoes it weigh John? Looks like all you guys had a ton of fun and turned out some great results!

the car weighed 3488 lbs with driver and video cam and full tank of fuel. the 217 mph run was made on 930 rw hp.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Don't think this has been posted here - looks like John's car.... :cheers

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia/videos?loc=112_0703_hennessey_viper_venom_1000_texas_mile