Taping for my First Track day.....

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I stock this film in 48" x 100yd rolls and use it to protect our printed graphic panels during shipping. This is the same material on new cars except I use clear instead of white(also available in blue for Skyrex:biggrin).

It is available in a wide range of adhesion levels and the stuff I use is very low tack and would work well to protect the nose, especially if it is doubled up.

I can slit the rolls down to any size and have one of my machines spool off any length desired.

Trent

I find out about the clear option now. :wink

I just took the pictures I saw of people blue taping their cars in the Texas Mile thread and other track day pics to the next level. :lol

Seriously though, for $20 in tape.....and a little bit of time :biggrin once I removed the tape I had no damage and less of a clean-up than I usually do when I return from a weekend drive around my area. It worked incredibly well for a 350 mile round trip to the track and the event itself, despite the look. If I was going to be a track day regular I would go with the speedlingerie bra and a light taping around the other areas, but on a whole I am very happy with the results. Plus I got some interesting pics out of it. Above in the thread and at the track. Blue is now my second favorite color for a GT. :rofl

That said I totally understand why one would prefer the clear film option.........:cheers

Attachments

• pit row.JPG
    pit row.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 163

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Trent, Thanks very much.

I did a little internet searching and I believe the product which I was describing is 3M Automotive Protective Tape 24S56W. This is the 2 mil white plastic protector with a medium-tack adhesive. They also make a white 4 mil film (44S56W) and a 6 mil film (64S58W). I believe the 2 mil film would be fine and meet my needs.

Am interested in roll lengths of approx 24". Thanks very much for checking into pricing and availability. Maybe others might also be interested for track events.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I would be interested in pricing. I would want to cover about the same areas as Skyrex did.

I stock this film in 48" x 100yd rolls and use it to protect our printed graphic panels during shipping. This is the same material on new cars except I use clear instead of white(also available in blue for Skyrex:biggrin).

It is available in a wide range of adhesion levels and the stuff I use is very low tack and would work well to protect the nose, especially if it is doubled up.

I can slit the rolls down to any size and have one of my machines spool off any length desired.

I will check my stock and if we can get some input on preferred sizes I can put some pricing together.

:cheers
Trent

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Skyrex,
Simplify !! Find a good installer of the 3m stuff. Have the nose done, behind the front and rear wheels ,mirrors and the leading edge of the mirror stocks ,do the whole rocker panel ,the piece under the air intake on the side ,the leading edge on the air intake the front section of the roof to where the door section opens ,the leading edge on the air intake in the middle of the nose on the back end of the hood ,the bottom of the rear bumper and the lower section of the rear fascia.I even use the windshield film from proline .
I have 14k on my gal ,I do track events and use the Speedline lingerie bra on the track .Granted I drive like a woose on track ,but I am having fun !!!I only go fast in Torries car or the Nardo car !!
I also have sections redone that take abuse . I also won 2 1st places at some local car shows ! You can have the best of both worlds !!If you need or want pictures of my gal let me know.
Good luck in what ever you decide !!

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've thought about having the more permanent coating done, but I'm so afraid of handing my car off to somebody that I just can't do it. If somebody on the forum can recommend somebody near Southeast PA, then I would consider it. Otherwise, I'm just too afraid of leaving my car with somebody. I don't want a repeat of Fubar's story.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Mark I got a great guy in the boston area.Check with local highend car dealers

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I have one master log - 4'x600' - in stock but I made a call to get the details on the same white material used on autos in transport. It is a 3mil, med. tack, U.V. stable film, which is similar to mine except mine is low tack and clear.
It comes on the same master rolls but I can slit it down to 2'.

Question is how long of a roll does everyone want?

The best way to store the material is on it's original core but that would mean you would have a 2'x600' roll. The cost for this size is about $175.00/roll.
I am thinking 100' rolls would work for most of us which would be $30.00/roll.

Trent

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Trent, that would work for me!
Let's see if others are interested as well....

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I will take a roll

Please let me know.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sounds like a good deal and a good solution until I find something more permanent.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Here is the tech info on the product I carry.

Autowrap 0410
410 Autowrap is a pressure sensitive, adhesive coated, white UV stabilized polyolefin film masking. 410 is designed to protect automotive finishes and trim during assembly and transit. Total thickness (mils) 4.1
Tensile Strength (psi) 6300
Elongation (%) 740
Standard roll width (inches) 80 maximum
Standard roll length (yards) 110 & 220
Backing Polyolefin film
Adhesive type Rubber
Color White
Adhesion (oz./in. @90°) 14.0
Shelf life (from time of manufacture) 30 months

REMOVABLE! Clean, Stain-Free, One-Piece Removal even after extended application

CONFORMABLE! Product remains intact even over bends and curved surfaces

NO EDGE LIFT! Adheres evenly to the applied surface and resists edge lift even during transportation!

This film is only available in white and if clear is preferred I can source that with the same adhesion level.

Let me know the preference, clear or white, and I will bring in a roll and convert it to 2'x100' rolls.

Trent

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Clear is better, but white is fine if that's easier.

I'm scheduled for Watkins Glen on May 2. Any chance it would be ready before then?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
mark ,
what group is running on may2?

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Clear is better, but white is fine if that's easier.

I'm scheduled for Watkins Glen on May 2. Any chance it would be ready before then?

No problem Mark.
Shoot me a pm with your contact info & I'll make sure it's there in time.

Trent

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
mark ,
what group is running on may2?

TrackMasters

https://www.trackmasters.com/Page.asp?Script=1

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime