Takata airbag recall

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I do all the maintenance on my car, but took it to the local dealer for the airbags - took about 90 minutes to do both, painless and easy, and the mechanic did a great job

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My GT tech was paid by Ford to travel to my home and complete the replacements. I’m sure your dealer will as well

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
My GT tech was paid by Ford to travel to my home and complete the replacements. I’m sure your dealer will as well

With whom did you speak to make this arrangement? Any special program that this falls under? I don't imagine Ford will do this for your neighbor's Focus!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
With whom did you speak to make this arrangement? Any special program that this falls under? I don't imagine Ford will do this for your neighbor's Focus!

Most dealers no longer honor that program. It was tied to one recall, not all of them. Some owners with in-the-wrapper cars have had success. Even my local dealer (whose owner I know) won't do it. Use the opportunity to get some other service work done, oil change, other fluids, etc.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

I’m not exactly sure how it all went down but my NGT tech is now a good friend so he drove an hour and a half did the airbag recall in my 06 GT and my 13 GT500. We hung out the rest of the day doing cars and coffee with the NGT, he drove my NGT and had lunch. A couple weeks later he text me and said Ford paid him for travel. Who knows?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Some of us received additional letters concerning the recall reiterating they would pick up the car or come to your location. They want this done and over.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My letter from Ford dated July 2018 says "Ford understands your Ford GT is a special vehicle so we have authorized our dealers to offer special services for this recall including mobile repairs at your vehicles location or transporting the vehicle to the dealer for repairs". This is the first letter I have received that offered this. I have not checked with my local dealer yet to see what the scoop is. I'm sure others have gotten the same letter.

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I received the same recall letter and they came to the house to do my passenger airbag for the second time. Much different looking cartridge also.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 120

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Saturday morning
Had passenger side done on the GT less than an hour...painless
Had the driver and passenger done on the GT500KR about an hour...less than painless

Darin

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Had my passenger side done last Friday. It took an hour.

Joe

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Both GTs had passenger side done a little over a week ago at my car cathedral.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Most dealers no longer honor that program. It was tied to one recall, not all of them. Some owners with in-the-wrapper cars have had success. Even my local dealer (whose owner I know) won't do it. Use the opportunity to get some other service work done, oil change, other fluids, etc.

You have no idea what you're talking about and should stop misinforming people.

Some of us received additional letters concerning the recall reiterating they would pick up the car or come to your location. They want this done and over.

Correct.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Dave you are 100% correct. Ford wil change both air bags no questions ask. Go ahead and try to get them to trade replacement for service, if they take you up run away Forest.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
You have no idea what you're talking about and should stop misinforming people.

I just had both inflators replaced at my shop by the Ford GT Tech under Ford’s Customer Satisfaction Program 14B09. So Dave is correct, the program is alive and well.

Thanks to Herb Chambers Ford, Braintree, Mass.

usmcfred

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Tech came to my house, great service, and very much appreciated.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
14B09

Read carefully. Do not read anything into it that is not stated. If you received a letter, you are special. If you didn't and your dealer does not want to come to your home, is it really a big deal to drive to the dealer? It's an opportunity to drive your GT.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Last week I called a Ford Dealer located in my area who I knew had done a GT replacement recently about getting both of mine done. Service writer took my information and said they had the parts and could do mine Thursday so I booked a morning time to bring my car in. It is a 50 mi one way drive from my house to this Ford dealership so got up and had a nice morning drive in. Pulled in to the dealership, got the paper work signed and they took my car back to there work area to start the work. A lady took a picture of my car next to hers in the pull through and sent to her husband stating what did he think of her service loaner! We both had a laugh with that.

Although I was not allowed to stand in the direct work area they did have a setup where I could stand behind a short wall and directly observe and talk to the technician. He introduced himself and I verified that he had done this before and knew what to do. OK everything going great so far, but wait.

He goes to the parts section and comes back empty handed. :eek

He asked me if I had special ordered the parts as they didn't have any in stock. I said that when I made the appointment i was told by the service manger they had them in stock and no mention was made that I had to do anything except show up to get the work done. :facepalm:

Went back in and talked to the service manager who set my appointment up. He was apologetic as it seems that no one reserved the parts for my appointment and the dealership had two cars come in the day before for airbag replacements that used their last replacement parts. Back in the car and another 50 mi drive back to the house. Again nice day to be out in the GT, so not a total waste.

So now I will call them this Tuesday to get an update as to when the parts will be in and when to drive my car back to get the work done.

No mention ever of coming to my house to do the work or offer to transport the vehicle instead of me driving. Needless to say this dealership won't be on my list for ordering my NFGT. :frown

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
The dealership doing my airbag recall has been very very thorough. There is absolutely no trace of the old airbag left. In fact there is no trace of anything. I appreciate the hard work but I think it is a little overkill. I just hope they remember where everything goes including the steering wheel.
28720555a9a2cdc3c83f168cada875d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
The dealership doing my airbag recall has very very thorough. There is absolutely no trace of the old airbag left. In fact there is no trace of anything. I appreciate the hard work but I think it is a little overkill. I just hope they remember where everything goes including the steering wheel.
28720555a9a2cdc3c83f168cada875d2.jpg

Chris - Are they installing an in-car cappuccino machine in yours too??

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Chris - Are they installing an in-car cappuccino machine in yours too??

Yes how did you know?