Takata airbag recall

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I've had the recall notices for both sides since last year. A few weeks ago I got a ltter from a local Ford dealer telling me to URGENTLY bring my car in for the recall otherwise I'd die etc etc. called them and asked if they had the necessary parts in stock? " No".....

I have called twice, they have the passenger only. I asked the service manager to call me so I can schedule with a GT tech, but they never call back..

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I ask every few weeks... not available!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I ask every few weeks... not available!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped asking. Ford will let us know when parts are available. They also released the driver's side by region so people in humid New England are likely to get theirs before us in the desert Southwest.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Just got my FINAL passenger Takata air bag replaced for my 2006 FGT. Took about .5-1 hour by local Ford dealer. Both the driver and passenger have the final solution installed now. Both were easy jobs for the local dealer.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Had both done today at Sterling McCall Ford

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Had both done today at Sterling McCall Ford

How long did it take for both and did you just wait there?

I have had one done and just need the passenger done now.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I waited. About 45m once the tech got the parts.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do you know if they disconnect the battery? Doing so clears out the learned adaptives which means you have to run a drive cycle before an emissions test.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
They didn't disconnect the battery on mine when they replaced both bags.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
error

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
They didn't disconnect the battery on mine when they replaced both bags.

agreed

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Both of mine were changed and did not disconnect the battery.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Experienced some good and bad news. Replaced my passenger bag on Monday, then received a call from the service manager that they had installed the old designed air bag instead of the new one. Luckily Ford Corp came through to discover it. When the dealer filed the paperwork to get reimbursed for the warrantee work, Ford told them they installed the wrong part number. Good news is I had the correct part installed today.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Had my passenger airbag replaced pursuant to 16526 recall.

Tuttle Click Ford, located in Irvine, CA, did the work. Scheduled it with Brett Steuckrath, and Ted was the technician. Ted has done the driver and passenger side airbag R&R before. Ted has worked on my GT before for routine maintenance, and he also did the driver side airbag for me before. He takes his time and I appreciate his work.

No issues, and I can turn my passenger airbag back on, now that it has the improved airbag.

Had the oil and filter changed and everything else checked out good.

Taylor04

Nov 17, 2013
So Cal
Had my passenger airbag replaced pursuant to 16526 recall.

Tuttle Click Ford, located in Irvine, CA, did the work. Scheduled it with Brett Steuckrath, and Ted was the technician. Ted has done the driver and passenger side airbag R&R before. Ted has worked on my GT before for routine maintenance, and he also did the driver side airbag for me before. He takes his time and I appreciate his work.

No issues, and I can turn my passenger airbag back on, now that it has the improved airbag.

Had the oil and filter changed and everything else checked out good.

Good to hear! I've also been working with Brett to schedule two cars for both airbags. Brett told me Ted is the only one doing the GT recalls. I'll report back with my experience.

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
In have had my local Ford dealer install the new air bag inflaters. The driver side was done some 2 years ago with no fuss. The passenger side became a painfully long episode that involved waiting almost 2 years for the necessary part. Since the car lives with me here in Florida with high temps and humidity I was on pins and needles until the repair was done. Fortunately my garage is air conditioned which I am sure mitigated the possibility is of a misfire.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Guys for safety sake do not take this recall lightly
The new replacements are also redesigned
Look closely at the drivers pack as there are blow holes around the outside for the pressure to blow out sideways not straight in your face!
Yes that's rust and not good!
Many insurance company's won't insure the car if you sell it till the recall is completed
I know of two sales in the last week that were halted till done
Good luck!
Gtjoey1314

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpg
    IMG_6459.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6454.jpg
    IMG_6454.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_6457.jpg
    IMG_6457.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
The Dealer finally has the passenger Air Bag upgrade in stock. It only took three years! Getting it done next Friday.

Joe

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
My dealer does not have stock or GT tech. I'm going to call 800 number and see if they can help.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ima gonna say this one more time.

Ford dealers do not stock GT parts. You give your dealer your VIN and the recall number(s). The dealer orders the inflator(s). You get your car serviced when the parts arrive.