Takata airbag recall

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
The covers on mine were broken after 2nd and final fix. Dealer had to order new ones and cl. aimed they were 100 dollars for 2 plastic caps but covered under recall. Just check before they reinstall them.

Could someone post a photo of these fragile covers? Thnx

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
... passenger side airbag on indefinite back-order...

I'm going to wait until the passenger side comes in and get both done at the same time. The car has been in climate controlled or low humidity so the corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Shelby, don't know if that's a wise decision. It's not the rust that's the problem, it's they used a very volital propellant/explosive. They are trying to find a more stable explosive. The rust is just an indicator of another problem probably affecting actuation reliability like electrical contacts. If it deploys, it could kill you or a loved one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Who has turned off their passenger side airbag?

I usually drive with one of my kids and scared of what could happen if the airbag went off (if I hit something, not by itself).

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Has anybody else had their passenger side airbag replaced?

I had both airbags replaced last week, and I'm less then pleased with the passenger airbag. The dealership was great. I have no issues with their work. My issue is with the replacement airbag itself. It sits slightly higher in the dash and creates a larger gap between the bottom of the airbag and the dash.

The dealership has stated that there is no adjustment for the passenger airbag. What you see is what you get.

I know I'm being slightly nitpicky, but the original airbag didn't have this issue. Am I expecting too much?

Original airbag:

Replacement airbag:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The air bag itself is not replaced, only the inflator canister. You should have your original dash panel.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Looking at the horizontal line across the dash to the air vent, it looks like they reinstalled the left side higher than originally installed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Are both the driver and passenger side "final" fix now available?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The air bag itself is not replaced, only the inflator canister. You should have your original dash panel.
Hmmm... That makes me wonder why the dash panel wouldn't be in exactly the same spot. The tech who did the work stated that there is only one way to mount the passenger air bag and there is no room for adjustment.

Looking at the horizontal line across the dash to the air vent, it looks like they reinstalled the left side higher than originally installed.
I agree. It's only off about an 1/8", but it definitely makes a noticeable difference.

My '05 GT Shop Manual doesn't have a section for airbag removal and installation. Does anybody have a schematic for the dash and/or passenger airbag?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
This website has some good info on the passenger side airbag recall: http://ford.oemdtc.com/1738/14s28-driver-airbag-inflator-replacement-2005-2006-ford-gt/5

After looking through that site, I found the section in my shop manual that covers the airbags (501-20B). After reading through that section, I am now of the opinion that the passenger airbag is in the correct spot, but the lower dash assembly wasn't reinstalled correctly. (I didn't realize that the lower dash assembly has to be removed to service the passenger airbag.)

I looked closely at the line between the upper and lower dash assemblies, and it appears the gap between the two is uneven and larger on the right side of the car. It looks like the car will be going back to the dealer.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

That's what I thought, I still haven't done the passenger side yet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's what I thought, I still haven't done the passenger side yet.

My passenger side recall 16S26 still shows on the Ford web site as "remedy not yet available", meaning the part is not available. If passenger side parts are available mybe they are releasing them by region (high humidity first).

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
My passenger side recall 16S26 still shows on the Ford web site as "remedy not yet available", meaning the part is not available. If passenger side parts are available mybe they are releasing them by region (high humidity first).

Thankfully California is lower humidity.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I looked closely at the line between the upper and lower dash assemblies, and it appears the gap between the two is uneven and larger on the right side of the car. It looks like the car will be going back to the dealer.
My dealer was able to adjust the lower dash assembly this morning, and everything looks as it should. So, remember to check the alignment of your lower dash when you finally have your passenger side airbag inflator replaced.

Cheers,
Waldo

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Thankfully California is lower humidity.

Correct the recall is handled by regions per NHTSA.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Does anyone know if Ford will replace or wants to replace the inflator canister in my spare steering wheel which I purchased from Ford long ago?

I tried to get an answer from Ford Customer Service and they didn't know, bounced me to SVT and they said they didn't address recall issues.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I suspect without a vin it won't.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I just received a letter yesterday for the passenger side air bag.

I have had the drivers side replaced Twice and the passenger side Once so far.
So , when the good weather comes and the dealer has the parts (not available as of today 3/7/2017) The GT will go back to the dealer for passenger side replacement number two (2).
Good thing I enjoy visiting with my Ford Dealer. !

andy (ajb)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I suspect without a vin it won't.

One of my dealers actually repaired my 2005 GT and my spare steering wheel. I believe they used the part number for replacement.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I've had the recall notices for both sides since last year. A few weeks ago I got a ltter from a local Ford dealer telling me to URGENTLY bring my car in for the recall otherwise I'd die etc etc. called them and asked if they had the necessary parts in stock? " No".....