Storing Clothes for wife and me for a trip ideas?

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Hello All

So wife and I live in Pasadena and we are going Friday to Santa Barbara to chill without kids! The resort name is bacara. Suggesting on restaurants is always a plus.

Dilemma, need to pack for the trip. I handed my wife the black bag the car cover came with and the look on her face made me brust into laughter. After we both stop laughing we still realize we are in a very tight ship. So any trick on packing with the GT would be great. An yes I have thought about FEDXing everything, but we want to try to make it fit, the drive is not far, but it still needs to be fun.

Chuck

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Use the space behind the seats, then just "pack" the trunk, not a bag. There's actually plenty of room in there as long as you use the GT as the suitcase, and pack the car, not a bag. Alternatively, bury your wife in duffel bags in the passenger seat and give here a nice long straw to breathe through :lol

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Use the space behind the seats, then just "pack" the trunk, not a bag. :lol

Just make sure you don't put anything in the truck that can't handle heat. It does get pretty hot in that space.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Take your toiletries and 2 changes of underwear

+
VISA
MasterCard
American Express

You'll have room left over for the car cover in the bag....

:rofl :rofl :lol :lol :rofl :rofl

(ps - your wife will love you for the new wardrobe - & just ship it home)

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Dave is 100% right. We also used suction cup hooks attached to the back window to hang clothes behind the seats when we drove out to Vegas from Florida for Rally 3

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you're tall or long legged - there is no space behind the seats - we're all not Jeff's size!

GTRob

Feb 18, 2009
If wrinkles are not big a deal, you can pack the clothes in thicker plastic bags and suck to air out of the bags with a vacuum. I think there was an infomercial for a product like this. Never tried it.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Be careful what you put in the front boot, as it gets hot there. Wife's makeup will likely melt, making her not too happy with you. How do I know this....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hello All

So wife and I live in Pasadena and we are going Friday to Santa Barbara to chill without kids! The resort name is bacara. Suggesting on restaurants is always a plus.

Dilemma, need to pack for the trip. I handed my wife the black bag the car cover came with and the look on her face made me brust into laughter. After we both stop laughing we still realize we are in a very tight ship. So any trick on packing with the GT would be great. An yes I have thought about FEDXing everything, but we want to try to make it fit, the drive is not far, but it still needs to be fun.

Chuck

Why go thru all that hassle? Seriously. IMO you'll enjoy the drive much more if you FedEx or UPS your stuff both ways. If your wife is like most, you're going to end up shipping a few new treasures BACK anyway, soooooooo...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pam, don't pay any attention to these naysayers. There's plenty of space.

There are aftermarket cup holders too.

:)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Also pack one small duffel that she can can keep between her legs on the floor. There's enough room there to be very comfortable. Take out the babby seat brackets behind the passenger seat.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
That's what those are, going to remove them this weekend if I get the chance!!!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
If wrinkles are not big a deal, you can pack the clothes in thicker plastic bags and suck to air out of the bags with a vacuum. I think there was an infomercial for a product like this. Never tried it.

I've used this product for a trip in the GT, this type of thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-...4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282695189&sr=8-4

The other advantage is that the bags are waterproof when sealed - so fine for the front storage area.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote Tmcphail : "We also used suction cup hooks attached to the back window to hang clothes behind the seats when we drove out to Vegas from Florida for Rally 3"

EXACTLY as I did. Worked great!

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Quote Tmcphail : "We also used suction cup hooks attached to the back window to hang clothes behind the seats when we drove out to Vegas from Florida for Rally 3"

EXACTLY as I did. Worked great!

Same here....you can put LOTS of hanging clothes behind the seats. That plus two duffels (trunk and passenger foot well) make for a great weekend getaway.

You will love the Bacara if you have not been there.

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Thank you all for the advise.

Went to bed bath and Beyond and got some suction cups and a small duffle bag to stuff in the front seat. I know I will be Fedxing stuff back. The return trip will be better.......

Thanks again

Chuck

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There has been previous threads on this subject. Do a search. My advice on those previous threads & this one is to simply to buy clothes & whatever you need at your destination. Give or donate them before you head back. Works for me.

Ed

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
I am probably disclosing more than i should, but.............last time i took a long trip with my sweetheart in the GT, we solved the packing problem by staying at a clothing optional resort in Palm Springs. (seriously).

Bacara is in Goleta which is about 10 miles north of Santa Barbara. it is a very nice resort right near the ocean. but there is virtually nothing in Goleta -- no restaurants, no shopping.

as for Santa Barbara restaurant recommendations, try Holdren's Steak House on State Street, the Palace on Cota Street (just off State & Cota) very good cajun food), and Cafe Luck (next door to the Palace on Cota). State Street is a fun place to walk around & shop. Lots of homeless people, though.

a GREAT restaurant that is in Carpinteria (15 miles south of Santa Barbara) is Sly's. highly recommend it......great (affordable) wine list, great food.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I am probably disclosing more than i should, but.............last time i took a long trip with my sweetheart in the GT, we solved the packing problem by staying at a clothing optional resort in Palm Springs. (seriously).

Bacara is in Goleta which is about 10 miles north of Santa Barbara. it is a very nice resort right near the ocean. but there is virtually nothing in Goleta -- no restaurants, no shopping.

as for Santa Barbara restaurant recommendations, try Holdren's Steak House on State Street, the Palace on Cota Street (just off State & Cota) very good cajun food), and Cafe Luck (next door to the Palace on Cota). State Street is a fun place to walk around & shop. Lots of homeless people, though.

a GREAT restaurant that is in Carpinteria (15 miles south of Santa Barbara) is Sly's. highly recommend it......great (affordable) wine list, great food.

Hmmmm........I think DBK should start a new section called vacation pics.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
If you're tall or long legged - there is no space behind the seats - we're all not Jeff's size!

As my Grandma said - "Good Things Come In Small Packages".