Stop banging your head

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
The first Ten sets of hinges are now available for immediate purchase and installation. Have the head saving Butterfly Door hinge system installed on your GT!!! Call Jen at 920-242-9156 to schedule your installation today!

Attachments

• P2220005_resize.JPG
    P2220005_resize.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 422
  • P2220010_resize.JPG
    P2220010_resize.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 422

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Looks good. :cheers

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Would like to see them on a gt

How Much? and where are you located.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
You guys do things right. Very nice. I'll bet that system is very smooth using the cam follower and track. If I do anything to modify my GT this will be the first thing I do. Is this a bolt-in system or is there some modifying involved? Is it reversible? I would also like to know what the installed price would be and could it be done in my locale?

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
You guys do things right. Very nice. I'll bet that system is very smooth using the cam follower and track. If I do anything to modify my GT this will be the first thing I do. Is this a bolt-in system or is there some modifying involved? Is it reversible? I would also like to know what the installed price would be and could it be done in my locale?

OK, I found some answers. Go to www.gtbdoor.com

Aug 25, 2006
Nice work Yogi; you and your team have created what appears to be a wonderful system.

I too have a few questions;

1. Is it truly a bolt on or are there secondary tweaks required?
2. How is the electrical with in the door addressed; does the harness need to be extended?
3. How stable is the door in the upright position?
4. Is there a risk of damage if the door is inadvertantly pushed or leaned on when in the upright postion?
5. When closing is there floating alignment risk if the door is simply grabbed and yanked down; meaning is there a chance that the door will not fall into the desired slot if not careful as such cause paint damage during the closing process?
6. As the result of this conversion do the door post need to be repainted once the OEM hinges are removed or is that area once installed completely covered?
7. Lastly; is the OEM latch being used or did this have to be changed as well?

Sorry for all of the questions; regardless what I see looks great

Takes care

Shadowman

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Beautiful. :thumbsup

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That's quality work! Looks OEM! :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
They had this hinge set up at SEMA and it worked very well. The door is completely guided thru it's range of motion via a track cast into the hinge. The door can only follow one path. They have some detailed install pictures on their web site. After looking at their set up and a stock GT the only thing that I see that may need to be cut is a path way for the gas strut that goes from the hinge to the front suspension anchor point. The wires need to be extended. I can say after seeing it first hand that cast hinge is a very stout unit.
My only concern is with the gas strut that holds the door in the up right position. In general gas struts seem to lose pressure with time and that may leave you battling a heavy door. As long as you could get a replacement that concern may go away but you may need to pull the fender to swap it out ??

They should be applauded for stepping up to the plate to design the system. The only other hold back I've heard is the price. If I could get a two for one sale I'd be in !!!! Great job guys !!!:thumbsup

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Quality look awesome!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
You know, I have not hit my head yet!:biggrin
However, I did manage to bang the hell out of my shoulders 4 times while installed the Carbon Panel.:lol
I woke up the next morning with some sore shoulders.:lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You know, I have not hit my head yet!:biggrin
However, I did manage to bang the hell out of my shoulders 4 times while installed the Carbon Panel.:lol
I woke up the next morning with some sore shoulders.:lol

I'm just glad you didn't poke your eye with the chop sticks !!!:biggrin

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
Nice work Yogi; you and your team have created what appears to be a wonderful system.

I too have a few questions;

1. Is it truly a bolt on or are there secondary tweaks required?
2. How is the electrical with in the door addressed; does the harness need to be extended?
3. How stable is the door in the upright position?
4. Is there a risk of damage if the door is inadvertantly pushed or leaned on when in the upright postion?
5. When closing is there floating alignment risk if the door is simply grabbed and yanked down; meaning is there a chance that the door will not fall into the desired slot if not careful as such cause paint damage during the closing process?
6. As the result of this conversion do the door post need to be repainted once the OEM hinges are removed or is that area once installed completely covered?
7. Lastly; is the OEM latch being used or did this have to be changed as well?
8. As long as you could get a replacement that concern may go away but you may need to pull the fender to swap it out ?
9. They should be applauded for stepping up to the plate to design the system. The only other hold back I've heard is the price. If I could get a two for one sale I'd be in !!!! Great job guys

Takes Care
Stormcat

• This is why Certified Installers need to be involved. The front fenders are removed and unseen areas are modified.
  • Yes, we extend and reposition it.
  • The door when in the open position is as stable as a Lamborghini door. Remember you will have a large metal object hanging in space by one hinge point. The door does flex slightly but that is to be expected.
  • No, if it is leaned on or the wind blows this will not affect it. However, the same cannot be said if it is run into or a hurricane is involved.
  • In all cars like this, the doors need to be closed at a slow to moderate speed. The action of the hinge allows for fluid motion.
  • No, there is no need to repaint the area.
  • Yes, the OEM latch and safety latch at the bottom of the door remain in use.
  • While it is true that gas struts can loose power over time. We chose to use two proven gas shocks from Germany and if they need replacing over time, you will not have to remove the front fender to do the swap out.
ps. that is two shocks per side..

Not sure what you meant by your final question Stormcat, I believe you are a bit confused. This upgrade includes the installation of both driver and passenger side hinges. So, I guess it is a two for one.....

Regards,
Yogi

Last edited:

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI

I just wanted to take a moment and give credit where it is due. Mark and his lead design engineer Bernard deserve all the credit for making this hinge. I am just the lucky guy who gets to take pictures and report on the action! Thank you all for your support

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Gorgeous piece of machinery!

Thanks for the pictures.

Aug 25, 2006
  • This is why Certified Installers need to be involved. The front fenders are removed and unseen areas are modified.
  • Yes, we extend and reposition it.
  • The door when in the open position is as stable as a Lamborghini door. Remember you will have a large metal object hanging in space by one hinge point. The door does flex slightly but that is to be expected.
  • No, if it is leaned on or the wind blows this will not affect it. However, the same cannot be said if it is run into or a hurricane is involved.
  • In all cars like this, the doors need to be closed at a slow to moderate speed. The action of the hinge allows for fluid motion.
  • No, there is no need to repaint the area.
  • Yes, the OEM latch and safety latch at the bottom of the door remain in use.
  • While it is true that gas struts can loose power over time. We chose to use two proven gas shocks from Germany and if they need replacing over time, you will not have to remove the front fender to do the swap out.
ps. that is two shocks per side..

Not sure what you meant by your final question Stormcat, I believe you are a bit confused. This upgrade includes the installation of both driver and passenger side hinges. So, I guess it is a two for one.....

Regards,
Yogi

Yogi:

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you answering all of the questions.

I am familar with similar doors on other gals of mine as such I give the folks behind this process a big thumbs up; a very nice job.

Last question; since the OEM latch is used do I assume that the door swings out first and then is lifted up rather than simply being lifted up? If this is the case can we see a video of the actual operation from closed through fully opened and then closed again in real time?

Thanks again

Shadowman

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The only other hold back I've heard is the price. If I could get a two for one sale I'd be in !!!! Great job guys !!!:thumbsup

Stormcat,

I'd love to be the other half of your two for one sale...Or the four for two sale...

:wink

Aug 25, 2006
Stormcat,

I'd love to be the other half of your two for one sale...Or the four for two sale...

:wink

So please share........

Shadowman

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
What is the price for this conversion?

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA