Stock vs. Optional Rims

xpresso

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2007
Paradise Valley, Arizona
During my search for a GT, I noticed that the stock rims are actually more expensive than the optional forged rims. So are stock rims actually more expensive and desirable than the optional forged rims? Does anyone know the difference in weight between them?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
During my search for a GT, I noticed that the stock rims are actually more expensive than the optional forged rims. So are stock rims actually more expensive and desirable than the optional forged rims? Does anyone know the difference in weight between them?

The forged rims are about 8 to 9 lbs lighter each and the list price is more than the stock rims in the aftermarket. Get what you like. However the performance should be better with the lighter ones.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know if I'd say more desirable, but they are definitely more rare. You'll probably find the optionals 4-1 over the standards.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
My GT was ordered with all four options, including the lighter forged BBS wheels. I just bought a set of standard rims and center caps from Ford as notwithstanding the deminimus sprung weight penalty, I think they are better looking and appear more "period" in style. This design is appropriately like the GT itself and was obviously designed by Camilo to recall the look of the original magnesium wheels used in the '60s after wire spoke wheels were replaced early in the LeMans program. The original mag wheels had 6 thick runners from hub to rim with a 3 earred knockoff, which the new standard wheels replicate quite nicely. usmcfred

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Optional Forged vrs. Standard Cast GT Wheels

“Optional” forged rims are a $3,500 option when purchasing the GT.

Price to purchase the “Standard” cast rims seperatley is approx. $2,500/set.

Price to purchase the “Optional” forged rims separtley is approx. $5,500/set.

“Standard” rims weigh approx. 35 lbs/set more than the “Optional” forged rims.

“Optional” forged rims obviously allow for less un-sprung weight.

Choice is your preference.

Unless you are into a lot of tracking, should not make much of a difference in handling and/or performance.

Fred

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
..... notwithstanding the deminimus(un)sprung weight penalty.....
With all due respect, 8.5 lb./wheel is huge.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think the old posts document only a 7 lb difference per wheel, but, if I remember correctly, that's like an extra 28 lbs per wheel, times four, that's the weight of a passenger.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I think the old posts document only a 7 lb difference per wheel, but, if I remember correctly, that's like an extra 28 lbs per wheel, times four, that's the weight of a passenger.
Huh?

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
ACRJoe is correct ... in competitive racing, with winning and losing measured in hundredths of seconds per lap ... 34 pounds of un-sprung weight is huge. I will venture to opine that most of the 4,036 FGT's will never see a track, let alone be competitively raced without lots of other modification, including even lighter road wheels of dimensions different than OEM forged FGT's.

As has been documented numerous times on this board, cosmetic appearance and mechanical mods are simply owner's preference and perrogative. In my case, I've chosen to opt for what I believe are wheels that are closer to period looks, while retaining OEM appearance and likely no discernable difference in performance on public roads.

I'll just have to try to cut back on the linguini and red wine to recapture my weight penalty on the interstates and twisty's of the Northeast. That of course is easier said than done ... HA!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
ACR, 7 lbs of unsprung weight correlates to 28 lbs of sprung weight. Times four for each wheel correlates to 112 lbs of extra sprung weight, roughtly the weight of a woman passenger.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ACR, 7 lbs of unsprung weight correlates to 28 lbs of sprung weight. Times four for each wheel correlates to 112 lbs of extra sprung weight, roughtly the weight of a woman passenger.

I see you prefer normal size chics, ok... lets not digress to another fat chic thread, ... just a comment Frank.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
bony Would that be sprung, or unspung? John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
bony Would that be sprung, or unspung? John
If they are light it is always sprung, up and down, back and forth. If heavy it justs stays put on the bottom and can't be moved and it seldom even goes for a ride.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
BlackIce Just as I suspected! With that settled... I agree with usmcfred, in that the stock wheels are more in keeping with the original style of wheel design on the original car. Altho' my car came with the optional wheels, my first purchase from Ford will be for a spare set of standard wheels. They'll then get powder coated in a shade that looks good against the red of the car. I'll have time to mull over the exact shade... John

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
BlackIce Just as I suspected! With that settled... I agree with usmcfred, in that the stock wheels are more in keeping with the original style of wheel design on the original car. Altho' my car came with the optional wheels, my first purchase from Ford will be for a spare set of standard wheels. They'll then get powder coated in a shade that looks good against the red of the car. I'll have time to mull over the exact shade... John

I'd paint them, not powder coat them. I have had a number of recommendations against powder coating cast wheels as the heat applied during the process supposedly weakens them. My two cents anyway.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI

What would the 112 lb women be wearing?

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
If the base wheels were the option wheels and the option wheels were the base than the proportion of wheel type would probably be reversed. The 4:1 ratio was likely caused by the 1000 markup that the dealer make by checking that box.

I ordered my car with the base wheels as I thought the price on the optional wheels was excessive.

HOW EXCESSIVE ????????????????? Try MORE than the "Hercules" ( $ 3090) or "Hererma" ($ 4030) Factory optional wheels on a 2007 LP640 Freaking Lamborghini Murcielago . Hard to believe.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What would the 112 lb women be wearing?

...Four decore matched Goodyear F1 Supercars ... "stratigically placed", me thinks...:lol

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Cobraman I already did the the same thing and purchased a complete set with the center 3 ear "spinners". Now rubber is next.:banana

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
06fordgt I can hardly wait to see the end result of your efforts. Are you having them painted? Anyone else hear of concerns expressed by Florida Chris regarding powder coating cast wheels? John