Sports Car Market Magazine June 2017 - GT value and sell recommendation

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Written by a bunch of hacks. Their track record of predicting values has been poor to say the least.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well I had a very interesting conversation with Keith Martin at Keels & Wheels this weekend about the write up on "selling 05-06 Ford GT's". He told me he wasn't surprised about my opinion on the subject but he had never seen any model increase in value when a new model was introduced and reminded me that Ford Dealers had problems selling the GT's in the second year. He told me what his Ferrari friends thought of the GT and I very politely cut him off and ask him not to compare our GT Forum group to the very strange Ferrari groups. Well I now have a little wager with him that I think the GT will hold its value and increase in popularity even when the New GT hits the street when collectors realize they will never be able to own one but they can purchase an 05-06 GT. He and I will meet again in one year and see what the market has done then! He also told me he didn't write the article and that one of his auto friends wrote it after collecting the auction data. My conclusion to this subject is this, what does a guy who lives and breaths old Alfa's knows about the Ford GT values? We'll meet again next year and I do understand his position as a magazine publishers job, To SELL HIS MAGAZINE. Enough said!

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
He and I will meet again in one year and see what the market has done then! He also told me he didn't write the article and that one of his auto friends wrote it after collecting the auction data. My conclusion to this subject is this, what does a guy who lives and breaths old Alfa's knows about the Ford GT values? We'll meet again next year and I do understand his position as a magazine publishers job, To SELL HIS MAGAZINE.

Reminds me of why I stopped buying Business Week magazine. It got old reading their claims that their predictions were always accurate but if you re-read the magazine, you would find they publish several opinions and the odds of being right were 100%! Good luck Tomy. I hope you collect on your wager.:thumbsup

Last edited:

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Well I had a very interesting conversation with Keith Martin at Keels & Wheels this weekend about the write up on "selling 05-06 Ford GT's". He told me he wasn't surprised about my opinion on the subject but he had never seen any model increase in value when a new model was introduced and reminded me that Ford Dealers had problems selling the GT's in the second year. He told me what his Ferrari friends thought of the GT and I very politely cut him off and ask him not to compare our GT Forum group to the very strange Ferrari groups. Well I now have a little wager with him that I think the GT will hold its value and increase in popularity even when the New GT hits the street when collectors realize they will never be able to own one but they can purchase an 05-06 GT. He and I will meet again in one year and see what the market has done then! He also told me he didn't write the article and that one of his auto friends wrote it after collecting the auction data. My conclusion to this subject is this, what does a guy who lives and breaths old Alfa's knows about the Ford GT values? We'll meet again next year and I do understand his position as a magazine publishers job, To SELL HIS MAGAZINE. Enough said!

I have never thought much about Keith Martin's knowledge and now this article proves it. His statement about a new model devaluing it's predecessor is correct with regards to regular production cars but in the case of the Ford GT, it's a halo car and we all know what happens with those cars when a replacement hits the streets.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
he had never seen any model increase in value when a new model was introduced>>>>

Porsche Carrera GT, Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Enzo?

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
he had never seen any model increase in value when a new model was introduced>>>>

Exactly!!!

What does having a difficult time selling in year two have anything to do with a extremely limited production model that only a select few have been pre-chosen to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
It's uncanny how that dude can predict the auction selling prices on "what's your car worth". But ya.. total bs this is.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Reminds me of why I stopped buying Business Week magazine. It got old reading their claims that their predictions were always accurate but if you re-read the magazine, you would find they publish several opinions and the odds of being right were 100%! Good luck Tomy. I hope you collect on your wager.:thumbsup
Likewise, I've let subscriptions to other business magazines go, but I've kept Forbes for many years.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It's uncanny how that dude can predict the auction selling prices on "what's your car worth". But ya.. total bs this is.

And not just close, but spot-on! The magic of editing I guess. :bored

IMO, Josh Nasar's enthusiasm makes up for the show's shortcomings.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good thing I could care less.

Vince H

+1000

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

I almost bought three different Carrera GT's. All were priced at least $120k or more under MSRP over a three year span. I Didn't like the harshness and lack of flywheel for working the clutch and decided against all three. Now, with the introduction of the 918 Spyder, the values on all three went back up $150K ON AVERAGE. Again, to punctuate Tomy's point, "What does a guy who embraces old Alphas know"? While the Carrera Gt was priced substantially above the Ford GT, both were introduced at the same time. A very close analog.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Never fear Friends I am very sure I will have extra money to spend at Keels & Wheels next year when I look up Keith Martin upon his arrival. With all the Ford Ambassadors involved with this Ford GT Forum we can't loose. We all work every day to introduce new buyers to fun world of Ford GT excitement and ownership and that's why the Ford GT will just keep increasing in value! I'll bet Keith ask for a ride in my 2017 GT when I arrive, I'll collect my money first then we'll see about that ride. I can hardly wait till Next Year Friends! PS This is Keith's Speed.

Attachments

• IMG_4563.JPG
    IMG_4563.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: