Speedometer and Tach rebuild

peloton

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2017
I've now put 190 miles on the speedo Rich repaired and it continues to work perfectly.

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
What’s the plan for the test phase and rollout of the permanent fix?

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Yes I would have interest is the speedo rebuild

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Update: zero issues on my pair.

Still love the sweep at start up.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
05 white with blue stripe and 4 options……perfect and the fastest combo. 😁

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Just to update all of our testing has been going great and we are ready to proceed, so we are accepting parts for rebuild now. Cost will be $1400 per gauge and please allow 2-3 weeks for turnaround.
If you are interested, please send me an email (richgtguy@gmail.com) and we can get the process started.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
is it better to buy a new oem cluster vs. have it repaired by rich?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OEM parts will fail with the same frequency as the one in your car...

For small gauges get the replacements directly from Auto Meter. They are OEM form-fit-function but have a redesigned innards.

For big gauges your choices are Rich's repairs OR the entire gauge panel from Speed Hut.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

You’re probably not going to find a cluster and probably not a Tach or Speedo unless they’re used. As Tony said, you want the reissue Autometers anyway.

But it sounds like you can rebuild the bigs now so a least that’s an option.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
You’re probably not going to find a cluster and probably not a Tach or Speedo unless they’re used. As Tony said, you want the reissue Autometers anyway.

But it sounds like you can rebuild the bigs now so a least that’s an option.

Thank you! So no point in getting the new speedo from ford. Better and cheaper to have rich fix the gauges.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you! So no point in getting the new speedo from ford. Better and cheaper to have rich fix the gauges.

I had a Speedo on backorder with my Parts dealer and after a year of waiting they gave up and gave me my money back. I did get a Tach after about 9 months of waiting.

Now that there is a fix, better source a used one now before their core value shoots up.

Reactions: dshears

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Intermittent gauge behaviour, especially if they recover after running for a while and restarting the engine, is caused by a marginal battery. Have you confirmed the battery is OK?

Secondly, I think that Rich's request is for people to test here and now, not for someone that will "get back to you in the spring"...

Had a 'marginal battery' situation happen yesterday. The only gauge remaining working was the Fuel gauge.
Talk about being upset, a real gut punch.
I went on my drive anyway because the car is well maintained all liquids are at proper levels etc.
After I got back in I shut of the ignition, had to arrange things in the shop and when I restarted the car to pull in all the gauges came back to life.

Before this yesterday, two of the gauges were already dead
(Alt & Vacuum)
I have been wanting to change those two out but now I'm thinking to just do the entire cluster of small gauges and see what happens with the Speedo and Tach.
I know, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
but the eventuality of the OE gauge failing and all.
I like doing my own work
(whenever possible and if I can handle it)
Are the gauges a difficult job to do?
My better judgment tells me to have someone like Rich do the job.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Gauges are not that difficult a job. I've had the panel out several times replacing gauges and testing another vendors (now discontinued) solution.

There is a nice description here:

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/gauge-replacement-how-to.20781/

FWIW - my Autometer vacuum bit the dust last year...

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Gauges are not that difficult a job. I've had the panel out several times replacing gauges and testing another vendors (now discontinued) solution.

There is a nice description here:

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/gauge-replacement-how-to.20781/

FWIW - my Autometer vacuum bit the dust last year...

Thanks, much appreciated!
Stefan

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I am sure Rich would do it for free if he got the new GT Garage plastered for free.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Rich did my small gauges in 2016. I watched him remove the dash. He knows “ the angles” and how to pull! I later did it myself, getting the dash with gauges out can be challenging! Make sure you use allot of painters tape!!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Had a 'marginal battery' situation happen yesterday. The only gauge remaining working was the Fuel gauge.
Talk about being upset, a real gut punch.
I went on my drive anyway because the car is well maintained all liquids are at proper levels etc.
After I got back in I shut of the ignition, had to arrange things in the shop and when I restarted the car to pull in all the gauges came back to life.

Before this yesterday, two of the gauges were already dead
(Alt & Vacuum)
I have been wanting to change those two out but now I'm thinking to just do the entire cluster of small gauges and see what happens with the Speedo and Tach.
I know, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
but the eventuality of the OE gauge failing and all.
I like doing my own work
(whenever possible and if I can handle it)
Are the gauges a difficult job to do?
My better judgment tells me to have someone like Rich do the job.
I let my local Ford dealer install a new fuel gauge a few years back. The technician scratched the hell out of the leather dash. So off my GT went to Rich’s to get the dash reskinned and while it was there I had him replace all the small gauges with new revised Autometer OEMs. All of the small gauges are still working perfectly. I’m probably about to jinx myself but I’m still running the original Speedometer and Tach. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I changed mine to Speedhuts myself. Not a bad project. Will be sending my OEM dead ones to Rich over the summer to have them fixed.

Reactions: Stef

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I changed mine to Speedhuts myself. Not a bad project. Will be sending my OEM dead ones to Rich over the summer to have them fixed.
But only the speedo and tach go to Rich. Get the small gauges directly from Autometer. If you have bad small gauges and have the panel out it is suggested to replace them all - the cost isn't that much.

If you have a bad big gauge, I wonder if it is worthwhile to preemptively have the other one done too? I had my gauges out to replace one too. It wasn't too intimidating - just take your time - but if you have a shop do it it's all labor and the price to get both gauges bullet-proofed is maybe worth the extra cost while it's all apart. Rich, what do you think??

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Rich rules!
Nice job and effort!
As usual!