Spare Tires

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Like many of you I recently upgraded to Bridgestones. I saved one OEM front and one rear tire to keep as spares in an emergency. Obviously they are of little value until I get them mounted on appropriate wheels. I'll be looking for damaged OEM takeoffs as well as inexpensive cast aluminum wheels of the right size (or very close), including offset. So far, I have been unsuccessful at locating correctly sized, cheap, aftermarket wheels. I'll share any sources I discover. Has anyone solved this problem without investing in OEM wheels that are likely to sit in the garage forever?

Howard

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How do you fit those spares in the GT?

Ed

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
How do you fit those spares in the GT?

Ed
On the rear seat............duh

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
rear luggage compartment (rope mounted to oem muffler).

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Everybody's a comedian!:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I saved one OEM front and one rear tire to keep as spares in an emergency.

Like Ed, I'm not able to 'follow' the logic here. Unless the spare can somehow come with you, how will you be able to use it in an emergency? Are you thinking 'chase car'? Obviously you have some specific emergency in mind, but, being as 'slow' as I am, I can't 'figger' out what that might be.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
may be he means if he ever damages a wheel that requires the wheel to be repaired or replaced which may take some time he may need this spare to hold him over until the other is repaired/replaced?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Like Ed, I'm not able to 'follow' the logic here. Unless the spare can somehow come with you, how will you be able to use it in an emergency? Are you thinking 'chase car'? Obviously you have some specific emergency in mind, but, being as 'slow' as I am, I can't 'figger' out what that might be.

I don't speak for Howard but I've looked into doing this myself, for now I'm just keeping spare tires. I'm usually within 50 miles of my home when I'm in the GT so if I suffered a blowout I would feel much more comfortable making arrangements to get my truck/jack/spare on the scene and change the wheel/tire combo on the spot vs having it dragged up a flatbed and hauled home. New tires are at least 2 days away.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I believe you and soroush have nailed it, FENZO...though the wheel repair scenario doesn't really constitute an "emergency" in my mind.

IOW; the spare = "emergency" chase car duty!

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Unlimited wheel choices on the cheap

Like many of you I recently upgraded to Bridgestones. I saved one OEM front and one rear tire to keep as spares in an emergency. Obviously they are of little value until I get them mounted on appropriate wheels. I'll be looking for damaged OEM takeoffs as well as inexpensive cast aluminum wheels of the right size (or very close), including offset. So far, I have been unsuccessful at locating correctly sized, cheap, aftermarket wheels. I'll share any sources I discover. Has anyone solved this problem without investing in OEM wheels that are likely to sit in the garage forever?

Howard

Ed - bolt pattern is std Ford..GT front wheels bolt right onto my 2010 Fusion (5/8" spacer) and my '50 Ford (1/2" spacer front only). Cheap they are not but both cars look very with them.

Suggest you purchase something that fits the front o.k. and as a get it home spare could go on either end of the car. Used wheel/tire store usually have lots of options for this in stock.

Your might try getting the temp. spare out of your Flex and try it on for size. Heck, I think one of your spare HUsky wheels would look good on the GT. A little bit of work and huge reduction in rolling resistance.:rofl

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
FENZO's got it. In case of a flat near home I can always arrange to have my "spare" wheel/tire driven to the disabled GT. I even carry a wooden wedge with a 3" rise to drive the stricken tire onto, so I can fit my scissor jack (which I also carry) under the car. And, a breaker bar, socket and plug kit. I'm hoping that all this preparation will ward off actually having to use any of it.

By the way, I've found a number of inexpensive ($150-ish) aftermarket wheels that have the correct bolt circle and offset (including Ford Racing wheels for the Mustang) but no assurance that they will clear our big Brembos.

Howard

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Also, people here have given me free tires & wheels....

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just carry a plug kit in your trunk! Of course it will take up all your trunk space!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just carry a plug kit in your trunk! Of course it will take up all your trunk space!

Hmmm, made out of soft rubber with a tube of rubber cement. It will melt in to an unrecognizable goo in the bottom of the pan

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The old faithful glue worms are the most reliable and inexpensive emergency tire repair out there. Spend $6 on a kit and store it, together with a razor blade, with the compressor, and you are good to go. I have repaired countless tires with these plugs. They have lasted years in some of my off road tires.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed - bolt pattern is std Ford..GT front wheels bolt right onto my 2010 Fusion (5/8" spacer) and my '50 Ford (1/2" spacer front only). Cheap they are not but both cars look very with them.

Suggest you purchase something that fits the front o.k. and as a get it home spare could go on either end of the car. Used wheel/tire store usually have lots of options for this in stock.

Your might try getting the temp. spare out of your Flex and try it on for size. Heck, I think one of your spare HUsky wheels would look good on the GT. A little bit of work and huge reduction in rolling resistance.:rofl

Thanks for the ideas Jeff! LOL

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Howard, if you don't care about the looks, I'm sure X2 Collision in Maryville, IL or ShelbyElite would have some takeoffs.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I don't care about looks. These puppies are probably going to spend their whole life (or mine) in a dark corner of the garage. I e-mailed X2 but haven't received a response yet.

Howard

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
I am carrying www.dynaplug.com. Small package, have used it on wife's BMW. Nice tool.