Source for TRUNK lid gas struts?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Mine are dead. Out of gas. Trunk lid will not stay open.

The Ford part 4G7V-16C826-AA (or newer part 5G7Z-16C826-A) is discontinued, without a replacement part.

The nomenclature on the strut is:

Suspa Liftline TYP16-1 01612266A 200N 18/06

I have scoured all the suppliers I could find, including Suspa of course, and I cannot find a replacement. I found some on Amazon that were listed as fitting the GT as well as several other Fords, but they were too long, the tube was too wide and the ball ends were too big. Fail. Some listed on ebay for the GT are also too long.

Having spent hours searching with no joy, does anyone have a source for new struts? Or how to recharge old struts? Or some other work-around (besides a sawed off broom stick)?

Last edited:

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Check with Dearborn Performance. I just purchased some there.

Reactions: Xcentric

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did you try Tasca? They had both front and rear a few weeks ago.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Tasca does not stock any GT parts. They order them from the warehouse like every other dealer does. Their website lets you order parts that don't exist. Someone reported a few weeks ago that after waiting since February for Tasca to deliver his order, they told him the struts are discontinued. As are the clamshell struts.

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Yep, that was me. Dearborn Performance has them to me in a week after waiting on Tasca for months.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Gary, Autonation Ford was the best price I could find for Ford OEM products. I've replaced both front and rear and they have the original Ford labels on them. As others have discovered, you have to use OEM. These were made specifically for only the Ford GT.

BourgoinW@autonation.com

5G7Z-16C826-A. FGT Hood Lift Assembly

Bill Bourgoin
Autonation Ford of WBL
651-288-1586
800-328-9552

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Mine are dead. Out of gas. Trunk lid will not stay open.
... Or some other work-around (besides a sawed off broom stick)?

I use this work around. Get some 1/4 black fuel line. The thick rubber with the woven reinforced fabric. Measure the amount of exposed shaft on the gas strut with the clam fully open . It's about 4" . Cut the tubing slightly shorter. Cut two pieces of tubing that length . Slice the cut tubing length wise. With the clam fully open place the split rubber tubing on the shaft both sides. It will act as a stop. and keep the clam from closing. I use this when the struts get weak. I've also used this with good struts on a windy day to provide extra resistance to keep the clam from closing. When I get out to the shop I will snap a picture. This may sound complicated but they push on in seconds. I keep them in the pouch behind the seat so they are readily accessible..

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I use this work around. Get some 1/4 black fuel line. The thick rubber with the woven reinforced fabric. Measure the amount of exposed shaft on the gas strut with the clam fully open . It's about 4" . Cut the tubing slightly shorter. Cut two pieces of tubing that length . Slice the cut tubing length wise. With the clam fully open place the split rubber tubing on the shaft both sides. It will act as a stop. and keep the clam from closing. I use this when the struts get weak. I've also used this with good struts on a windy day to provide extra resistance to keep the clam from closing. When I get out to the shop I will snap a picture. This may sound complicated but they push on in seconds. I keep them in the pouch behind the seat so they are readily accessible..

No photo needed. I get this. Great idea Brian. Two for the clamshell, but I'll bet one would do it for the trunk lid.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Gary, Autonation Ford was the best price I could find for Ford OEM products. I've replaced both front and rear and they have the original Ford labels on them. As others have discovered, you have to use OEM. These were made specifically for only the Ford GT.

BourgoinW@autonation.com

5G7Z-16C826-A. FGT Hood Lift Assembly

Bill Bourgoin
Autonation Ford of WBL
651-288-1586
800-328-9552

Yes, I've bought parts from them too. As with other dealers, they don't stock GT parts, but Bill says there will be more available soon. That is good news.

"I don't stock them but they are still available. But they are on backorder until 6/6/19."

Last edited:

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Great idea Stormcat. I’m gonna do that this weekend for my new struts.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
No photo needed. I get this. Great idea Brian. Two for the clamshell, but I'll bet one would do it for the trunk lid.
Too late :)... Yes I'm sure one would work for the front. Here's some in red tubing for better clarity. ... As mentioned these can aid good struts on a windy day at a car show. Trust me!.. The 4 inch measurement was from memory. They're actually 5 inches
Screenshot_2019-05-28-15-38-02.jpg20190528_153426.jpg

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
good trick Brian

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
however unless you guys want your struts to say ford on them there are manufacturers that sell almost any length strut so finding an aftermarket solution shouldnt be impossible.

just have to measure collapsed and fully extended lengths to order one.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
however unless you guys want your struts to say ford on them there are manufacturers that sell almost any length strut so finding an aftermarket solution shouldnt be impossible.

just have to measure collapsed and fully extended lengths to order one.

LOL

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I think what Xcentric means is "Lots Of Luck". We've both been trying for some time.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Collapsed length, extended length, stroke, tube diameter, ball/socket diameter, compression force.

I'll give you all the specs so you can easily find and order. :LOL:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
interesting, I looked for some for my Ultima GTR last year and was able to find ones that matched very easily.... perhaps they use a more common size.

in your search did you find any that were at least close to the original size?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
sure Ill be happy to look , send me the info and let me see whats out there

collapsed and fully extended measurements

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
@soroush, Please see post #1.