Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Joe... thank you for following our 'kibitzing' on these Ford GT subjects and helping to correct items that you see are in error.

That is why, after spending over $.5 million on a vehicle, I call you and Ian at Milliken Ford, schedule the appointment and say..
" Joe and Ian... put in the correct, Ford Recommended stuff for my New Ford GT & check out the rest of the vehicle as you do. I will be in the waiting room reading and having a coffee. Call me when you are finished. "

andy (ajb)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
per manual oil filter # is HG7Z-6731-A

Reactions: italianjoe

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
per manual oil filter # is HG7Z-6731-A
That is the correct part number HG7Z-6731-A

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Joe... thank you for following our 'kibitzing' on these Ford GT subjects and helping to correct items that you see are in error.

That is why, after spending over $.5 million on a vehicle, I call you and Ian at Milliken Ford, schedule the appointment and say..
" Joe and Ian... put in the correct, Ford Recommended stuff for my New Ford GT & check out the rest of the vehicle as you do. I will be in the waiting room reading and having a coffee. Call me when you are finished. "

andy (ajb)

No shit. This thread has been painful to watch.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...That is why, after spending over $.5 million on a vehicle, I call you and Ian at Milliken Ford, schedule the appointment and say..

andy (ajb)
I really wish that could happen for me but my servicing dealer sucks. The next closest one is 200 miles away. I will have to do it myself unless I can get a Milliken tech to fly out here! :)

Ed

Reactions: italianjoe and GTMD

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Greetings New Ford GT forum members/owners, I am Joe the Ford GT technician at Pat Milliken Ford, I enjoy reading your discussion on this forum and encourage those of you who are the hands on type who love working on your cars. However I have to advise you all that the motorcraft chart that's in this thread is an Error. Their are reports of installing FL-500s oil filters in The new Ford GT and have failed. These FL500s filters can not handle the higher pressures of the dry sump system in the new ford GT. SO PLEASE DO NOT USE THE FL500s FILTERS. I know the cost of the recommended filter is much more but better spending a few extra dollars on a filter then a motor. I have notified Ford to make a correction and they will be working on that, As always we at Pat Milliken Ford are here to help so please feel free to call us with any questions you may have,
Thanks ItalianJoe! I'll order the part from you guys.

Ed

Reactions: italianjoe

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
No shit. This thread has been painful to watch.
:ROFLMAO:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I really wish that could happen for me but my servicing dealer sucks. The next closest one is 200 miles away. I will have to do it myself unless I can get a Milliken tech to fly out here! :)

Ed

Don't worry Ed. If you can't find a dealer to do it, I'll grab my tools, come down and we'll do it together. Best part is that I'll only charge you $1,199.99! 🤣

But seriously, I'd be glad to help you do it whenever you want. It'll help me learn for when I eventually take delivery!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For the record the correct filter number is?
HG7Z 6731A

Weird. When I posted this, the prior posts with the part number did not appear.

Last edited:

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
The correct filter is HG7Z 6731 A

Attachments

• Ford GT oil filter.jpg
    Ford GT oil filter.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

Ed
actually only about 150 miles

Reactions: LOVE CHP

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Their are reports of installing FL-500s oil filters in The new Ford GT and have failed. These FL500s filters can not handle the higher pressures of the dry sump system in the new ford GT.

Dealership personnel are NOT Ford. If the FL500S recommendation is in error, then it is up to Ford to make the correction. I find it VERY hard to believe that "high oil pressures" can be a legitimate reason to discard the FL500S. First, high oil pressures have pretty much nothing to do with a dry sump system - and they certainly are not inherently higher than conventional systems. As an example, the Boss 302 engine - for which the FL500 IS the designated oil filter, is routinely running (cold) pressures in excess of 90 psi. The NFGT running higher than that? I sincerely doubt it. Manufacturers are focused on lower oil pressures to mitigate HP losses - the trend is downward not upward.

Reactions: Xcentric

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford has the prerogative to make any (condition of warranty) maintenance item single sourced including oil, filter, or any other component needed to be replaced as a condition of the (engine warranty) - but then they are obliged to do this free of charge. A much more common practice is to provide alternatives - and any consumer electing to use the alternative cannot be denied warranty coverage as a result of that decision. All of this and more as part of the broad Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

"(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance (other than an article or service provided without charge under the warranty or unless the warrantor has obtained a waiver pursuant to section 102(c) of the Act, 15 U.S.C. 2302(c)). For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine ‘ABC’ parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty"

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Preach! :LOL:

If there is a problem with a FL500S (e.g., torn filter media), it is a quality control issue with the part, not a result of the engine it is screwed onto.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Honestly, you two dickheads really do deserve each other. You are consistently pricks to everyone, including when you're taking a break from being pricks to each other. It's an achievement.

Let us know which filter you put on your 2017+ GTs.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Oooh, prickly.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Dealership personnel are NOT Ford. If the FL500S recommendation is in error, then it is up to Ford to make the correction. I find it VERY hard to believe that "high oil pressures" can be a legitimate reason to discard the FL500S. First, high oil pressures have pretty much nothing to do with a dry sump system - and they certainly are not inherently higher than conventional systems. As an example, the Boss 302 engine - for which the FL500 IS the designated oil filter, is routinely running (cold) pressures in excess of 90 psi. The NFGT running higher than that? I sincerely doubt it. Manufacturers are focused on lower oil pressures to mitigate HP losses - the trend is downward not upward.

Greetings nota4re,

You are correct, I am not "FORD" nor am I under any contractual or legal obligation to provide any of my knowledge and/or information to anyone...….I certainly don't remember being summons to do so. The information I share with the members of this forum is "Advise" you can take it or not......your choice. However I can certainly understand your reason to question my "Advice" and if its to sell the more expensive filters...….rest assure I will profit more from an engine replacement then an oil change.

My only reason to share this "Advice" to the members of this forum is to help prevent any aggravation from a possible engine replacement. I to am a car enthusiast and an exotic car owner so I know how aggravating it can be to deal with a broken down exotic. I certainly am not here to cause any friction between any of the members just simple giving my "advice". And by the way the "Advice" is coming from a Ford certified senior master with 35 plus years of working on Fords in a Dealership who also happens to be Ford GT Certified as well....

Have a nice day :)

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Joe - I think you are providing an invaluable data point and from a vantage point that few have since you are obviously servicing the NFGTs. I think if I invested $400K+ for a car, I probably wouldn't quibble over a filter that cost $40 versus a filter that cost $6. So, I think the discussion here may be largely an academic one - but nevertheless interesting. Perhaps just too many engineers here who just really want to understand things. Allegedly, the FL500S IS an alternative oil filter or is this mis-information? <== Not trying to be a dick, but wondering if this is the case or not. You cited "a couple of cases" of failed FL500S - and I am also curious on what constitutes a failed oil filter? Is it coming apart? Finally, I wondering what is causing these failures. You speculated that it was high oil pressures but as I pointed out, Ford has been running some damn high oil pressures since (at least) the Boss 302's where 90-100psi cold-start pressures were commonplace. Are the NFGTs even higher than this?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Joe - I think you are providing an invaluable data point and from a vantage point that few have since you are obviously servicing the NFGTs. I think if I invested $400K+ for a car, I probably wouldn't quibble over a filter that cost $40 versus a filter that cost $6. So, I think the discussion here may be largely an academic one - but nevertheless interesting. Perhaps just too many engineers here who just really want to understand things. Allegedly, the FL500S IS an alternative oil filter or is this mis-information? <== Not trying to be a dick, but wondering if this is the case or not. You cited "a couple of cases" of failed FL500S - and I am also curious on what constitutes a failed oil filter? Is it coming apart? Finally, I wondering what is causing these failures. You speculated that it was high oil pressures but as I pointed out, Ford has been running some damn high oil pressures since (at least) the Boss 302's where 90-100psi cold-start pressures were commonplace. Are the NFGTs even higher than this?

My Apologies if I came off a bit strong in my response, I am always more then happy to share my knowledge and/or experience. From the reports I have read and seen these were on the test stand and in the "mule cars" (luckily not customer cars) the fl500s simply split apart, if you compare the two filters the hg7z-6731-a and the fl500s its pretty obvious that the fl500s is thinner canister then the hg7z-6731-a, you can almost crush the outside of the fl500s with your hands. Remember the 3.5 Liter (flat plan crank ) engine in the New ford gt spins at a higher rpm then a normal cross plan crankshaft engine (like in the boss 302) therefore the amount of oil required to keep all the internal components lubricated is a much higher volume, thus the higher pressure/flow of oil. I hope this helps why it is important to have the correct filter and why the fl500s is not correct. I have contacted my ford gt rep. and have notified him of this misprint/error. he was not happy and was looking to correct this ASAP.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My Apologies if I came off a bit strong in my response, I am always more then happy to share my knowledge and/or experience. From the reports I have read and seen these were on the test stand and in the "mule cars" (luckily not customer cars) the fl500s simply split apart, if you compare the two filters the hg7z-6731-a and the fl500s its pretty obvious that the fl500s is thinner canister then the hg7z-6731-a, you can almost crush the outside of the fl500s with your hands. Remember the 3.5 Liter (flat plan crank ) engine in the New ford gt spins at a higher rpm then a normal cross plan crankshaft engine (like in the boss 302) therefore the amount of oil required to keep all the internal components lubricated is a much higher volume, thus the higher pressure/flow of oil. I hope this helps why it is important to have the correct filter and why the fl500s is not correct. I have contacted my ford gt rep. and have notified him of this misprint/error. he was not happy and was looking to correct this ASAP.

GT has a flat plane crank?