Sonic Blue for sale...by itself

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Sonic Blue Paint Code

Is there a "Sonic Blue" paint code in the VIN?

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
I've asked this before but maybe its in the registry but who has the quicksilver no stripe that sold for 500+ at BJ? The auction was for caroll shelbys charity. It is the lowest vin # car for sale 0003 i think.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

The VIN 1FAFP90SX5Y400349 pulls up code LA for me.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Sonic Blue paint code

There is no paint code in the VIN itself. This is how the SAAC Registry breaks down the Ford GT's VIN (except for any typos on my part, this is exactly how they describe it):

1 = Country of Manufacture (US)
F = Manufacturer (Ford Motor Company)
A = Vehicle Type (passenger car)
F = Vehicle Restraint Type (active seat belts, driver and passenger air bags)
P = Vehicle Line (Ford GT)
9 = Series
0 = Body Style (2-door coupe)
S = Engine (5.4L DOHC, EFI, S/C aluminum V8)
0 = Check Digit (a convoluted formula the insures no two cars can get the exact same VIN)
5 = Model Year (5 = 2005)
Y = Assembly Plant (Wixom, MI)
100001 = Build Sequence (all cars begin with "100001"; if more than 100,000 vehicles are made in a model year, car # 199999 is followed by 200000; the first car is never 000001).

It's interesting to note that the VIN Build Sequence numbers for first two 2005 production cars are 100001 and 100002, but the third car's Build Sequence number is 400003. The remaining 2005 model year Build Sequence numbers progressed consecutively from there through 402070. The Build Sequence numbers for the 2006 model year are 400001 through 402047. Because the Build Sequence numbers were roughly the same in 2006 as they were in 2005, the Model Year and the Check Digit prevented duplicate VINs, Of course we know that the Build Sequence number in the VIN does not represent the actual order in which the cars were built. As discussed in other threads, the cars were built in batches by color.

The SAAC Registry has their own 7-place "Grid Code" for the Ford GT which summarizes the car's original configuration (this is not something you'll find on the car - it's SAAC's code for concisely tabulating build data for the Registry). The Sonic Blue Car's SAAC Registry Grid Code is 5BRWBRW, which breaks down as:

Model Year:
5 = 2005
6 = 2006

Body Color:
K = MKII Black
R = MKIV Red
B = Midnight Metallic Blue
O = Quick Metallic Silver
W = Centennial White
V = Speed Yellow
P = Tungsten Grey
Y = Heritage Package

Radio:
R = Macintosh Audiophile Radio
S = Standard Radio
D = Delete

Racing Stripes:
K = Black
W = White
S = Silver
B = Blue
D = Delete

Side Stripes:
D = Delete
B = Both (Side & Top)
O = Side Only

Brake Calipers:
R = Red
G = Grey
B = Black

Wheels:
W = Forged Aluminum
S = Standard

With just one car in this color, SAAC apparently decided not to have a separate Grid Code letter representing Sonic Blue and lumped it in with Midnight Blue for their data matrix. The individual car description in the Registry (posted) clarifies the color as Sonic Blue, though.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
BJ Quicksilver car

I've asked this before but maybe its in the registry but who has the quicksilver no stripe that sold for 500+ at BJ? The auction was for caroll shelbys charity. It is the lowest vin # car for sale 0003 i think.

The SAAC Registry indicates that 1FAFP90S75Y400003 sold at BJ Palm Beach in March 2006 for $572,400 ($530K hammer price) with the proceeds going to Shelby's charity. The Registry states that the car has black stripes - obviously an error because the BJ photos of the car show no stripes. The Registry isn't perfect, which should be no surprise considering the massive amount of data it contains and the human element involved in gathering it.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
WOW! Thanks. Very good information:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...It's interesting to note that the VIN Build Sequence numbers for first two 2005 production cars are 100001 and 100002, but the third car's Build Sequence number is 400003. The remaining 2005 model year Build Sequence numbers progressed consecutively from there through 402070. The Build Sequence numbers for the 2006 model year are 400001 through 402047...

I believe that the number change from 10000x to 40000x was a means to insure that the cars would have a designation that would identify them as a continuation of the original GT40s.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
GT at the Christie's Auction

GT38 -
Yep, you caught a typo there - the GT that was auctioned off at Christie's that Jon Shirley bid on to win the right to buy the "first" production car was auctioned off in August 2003, not 2004. Here's a shot of Kip Ewing showing the car to Jay Leno a few days before the auction at Laguna Seca:

DSCN4795.JPG

and here it is at Pebble Beach....

DSCN4919.JPG

WRT the # 003 production car, my records indicate it originally was Quicksilver with black side and top stripes. The car was thoroughly redone by Ford in preparation for the charity auction, and may well have been repainted. It was behind closed doors at Wixom during one of my plant visits, and I was not allowed to take pictures on that visit. GT TECH could probably confirm - he was the official "tour guide" during most of my visits to Wixom (and a darn fine guide, I might add). :cheers

regards,

Jeff

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
The SAAC Registry indicates that 1FAFP90S75Y400003 sold at BJ Palm Beach in March 2006 for $572,400 ($530K hammer price) with the proceeds going to Shelby's charity. The Registry states that the car has black stripes - obviously an error because the BJ photos of the car show no stripes. The Registry isn't perfect, which should be no surprise considering the massive amount of data it contains and the human element involved in gathering it.

Thanks! Seems like no one knows where it ended up though.

0003 was the first GT I ever saw in person ( chicago auto show)

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Great history lesson here guys. Thanks Dick for all of the fine details.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Dick for the through research and commentary! I vote you become the official Forum historian....!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks Dick for the through research and commentary! I vote you become the official Forum historian....!

+1

I learned a lot on this thread!! Great job finding all that info! :thumbsup

I hope to see that sonic blue in person some day.