Somebody is watching you....

H

HHGT

Your iPhone is watching you, without your permission! The data file itself is completely unencrypted, meaning anyone who gets hold of it can access the data freely.:ack:ack

What is the harm with this data being collected and stored on the device?
"By passively logging your location without your permission, Apple [has] made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of your movements,":eek:eek

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20055885-37.html

Start flaming....:lol

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Wow, now everyone is gonna know that I go from home, to work and back home every day. I AM SCREWED! Somebody save me!

H

HHGT

Wow, now everyone is gonna know that I go from home, to work and back home every day. I AM SCREWED! Somebody save me!

I was told there is at least 2 circle K's and a bar by the name of "happy Endings" in between.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Will it clock how fast I am driving too??

Never mind, I have an app for that. lol

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Consider also: These days almost every smart phone camera (and many newer digital cameras for that matter) geo-tags every photo. The permanent data that is part of the photo itself in Exif is sent with every photo shared. The precise whereabouts of every snapshot by any stranger or friend of your beloved GT or your priceless velvet Elvis painting collection can be known by anyone with a copy of the photo. First time I saw the "where" feature in my photo album I thought it was really cool; then I realized anyone with whom a photo has been shared with or without permission knows "where" too...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Orwell was right...

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Here is one of the viewers available:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/

... and an article related to HHGT's original post in case you weren't already sufficiently paranoid:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archive...of_twitter_users_posting_geotagged_photos.php

Orwell WAS right and it's not bad enough Big Brother is keeping track.... So can ANYONE

Of course as my friend Stewart says, "I'm not paranoid; just very perceptive of what's really going on." ;)

Last edited:

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
http://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2...es-with-the-latest-iphone-tracking-discovery/

I'm pretty sure its just Steve Jobs tracking all of you, timing 0-100 MPH speeds and deciding if he wants to get an FGT :lol

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I find it a bit ironic that the company that took the world by storm in 1984 with their famous "Big Brother" Superbowl television commercial that slammed the Orwellian concept that "Big Brother" is watching us is now playing "Big Brother". Things change, don't they?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
The data in the iphone can be encrypted - I don't own one but the process is supposed to be straight forward and has to be done by the owner.

H

HHGT

Congressional Investigation Cometh

I think our friends in government realize their "Turkish Bath" appointments may become publicly available!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._Congress_about_iPhone_tracking?taxonomyId=12

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just don't own or use any Apple products that are connected to the Net. Only have a iPod.

H

HHGT

I just don't own or use any Apple products that are connected to the Net. Only have a iPod.

And download MP3 files with swapped bits.:ack

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Only have a iPod.

They're the worst apparently. Hidden cameras and everything.

You need one of these for an iPod.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They're the worst apparently. Hidden cameras and everything.

You need one of these for an iPod.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

I have an ancient one, no camera :)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have an ancient one, no obvious spy camera :)

Edited for accuracy.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't see what the big deal is. Did anyone not know that the phone has location services? You can turn it off in the settings. Smartphones are crawling with applications based on location and usage patterns. If you are utterly paranoid about your cellphone keeping a record of where you were, you better not ever make a call, send an email, respond to a text. That would make it fairly tough to use. Remember, your phone can be used as a listening device even when it's OFF. Using modern convenience without a digital signature is time consuming and nearly futile unless you have a professional dedication to it. Just like using a debit card, credit card, going anywhere that has CCTV (which is virtually everywhere), surfing the internet, paying an e-bill, doing a google search. How many of you are surfing this site with an anonymizer? Nobody browsing right now is.

If you're that afraid your wife is gonna find out you've been at the titty bar, turn it off!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Dave, I agree - no big deal as far as I'm concerned. This issue did raise some questions about what info the the police can use should you ever be arrested.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Or.....buy an iphone, register it to yourself, wire it into the electrical for charging purposes, strap it to a semi and you will be all over the map. Then use a simple pay as you go phone. Problem solved.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Or.....buy an iphone, register it to yourself, wire it into the electrical for charging purposes, strap it to a semi and you will be all over the map. Then use a simple pay as you go phone. Problem solved.

Or just borrow somebody else's 2-way device and let him deal with the fallout...

Maniacal Pockets