So who's up for a cold Air Kit????

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ok I finally got permission to post on something I've know The GT Guys were building because I've been calling Rich every hour for the last 3 days to see if they are ready to ship mine since I'm first on the list :biggrin

I want to get as much out of the car as I can for the mile and really want that 200mph shirt. 21lb pulley check...lost 50 lbs...check (still a fat ass but lighter) More air???? whoops

So Rich and I have been talking about what I could do and he let slip that they were working on this little setup. Now Rich knows I don't do anything to my car that can't be put back to stock...this is 100% bolt on no cutting...completely reversible.

What I'm posting are pics of the test kit. The clamps are getting changed out as we speak to something that can handle vibration well and a little tweak to the housing so it installs easier. I'll let Rich handle specifics cause I don't know what the cost is yet but do know what the kit will include.

Cold Air Kit, New Mono Throttle Blade and new Mass Air sensor so I won't have to run a Mafia anymore with my Whipple. I don't need an SCT Tuner since I have one.

Initial gains were, from just the cold air kit no throttle body, 35hp on a pulley car and 40hp on a Whipple to the wheels.

So I know Rich and Dennis don't brag on themselves but at least I can do it for them. I can't tell you how much testing went into this thing and how proud they are of it. So anyway I know I'm first on the list and I believe Fubar is second :biggrin

Better get on the list while you can.

Matt

coldair.jpg

coldairfilter.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Better get on the list while you can.

Matt

Is it a limited production run?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I believe Rich wants to add this as an available product if there is enough interest in them.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I want one. Today.

What's the story on the new MAF? I presume it is an entirely different part than the stock unit. I had some idle issues with the bigger SCT MAF unit, I'd like to hear more about their choice.

btw, I did see Matt the other day (and even though I still give him shit... because I can) and he looks much thinner. I'll bring some diet Crown Royal to the mile for us.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I believe Rich wants to add this as an available product if there is enough interest in them.

Well I am very interested, my phase I is already planned out but Phase II is "power upgrades" and this looks like a great addition to phase II.

:usa

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well I am very interested, my phase I is already planned out but Phase II is "power upgrades" and this looks like a great addition to phase II.

:usa

Keep in mind that some exhausts wont work with this... namely the stock system and borla.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Keep in mind that some exhausts wont work with this... namely the stock system and borla.

What about the FRPP (Borla) M-9430-GTX ? Full length, big muffler delete version.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What about the FRPP (Borla) M-9430-GTX ? Full length, big muffler delete version.

That should work fine. It's just the way the pipes shoot out so far from the throttle body. I'm sure Rich and Dennis did their homework and have tons to add this discussion. I really don't know the answers, I was just looking at the pictures.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How about a CF version!

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
The air kit looks great. I do have two questions. 1, that is an enclosed chamber where the filters are installed, is the engine bay hot air feeding the air filters or is it off of the bottom of the car? (Remember the origional air box assembly got true clean cool forced air by the clamshell) 2, what kind of air tempretures are entering the throtalbody after the aluminum is heated up by the engine and exhaust? Heat is one of our enimies. A simple test would be to put your hand on the stock air box and feel how hot is is after say 1/2 driving then put your hand on the new aluminum replacement air intake after a 1/2 hour of driving and feel the diffrence.

Last edited:

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Im interested

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'm going to get Rich to pop in and give the details but the air is clean and I believe that the intake temps are down over 10 degree's from what I remember. I asked alot of questions too about the turbulence of the air coming off the back end sucking air out of the cones rather than allowing air to go in. They have done alot of research with Rich's car and thermal monitors. He did say one of the hardest things to get right was to locate the MAF in the right location because of the turbulence of the air coming together in the pipes and making sure they had smooth air.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I like the concept. At the 2007 SEMA show while looking at the SCT Turbo car S592R and I had a discussion about using that area for an alternate intake location.

After seeing the intake locations on their turbo set up it would have been advantageous to extend their intakes about 8" and get into that area and blank off the engine bay as the GT guys are doing.

I would add a small snorkel and pump clean fresh air in from the clam shell feed into this new plenum area. Like mentioned by Rockstar the only way to get fresh air into that are is from the back of the car which is a dirty air / low pressure zone. Adding a small snorkel duct would eliminate that concern but I think the over all concept is good. Good job Rich & Dennis.. :thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 456

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Interesting concept,I don't see the MAF was it fitted after these photo's were taken

heres the way I did mine to keep the intake temps down and still using the engine cover intakesfor fresh cold air, but I did make the outlets in the custom carbon engine cover larger.
Cheers and great work on you design
Neil

Attachments

• GT air box 001.JPG
    GT air box 001.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 407
  • GT air box 003.JPG
    GT air box 003.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 404
Reactions: white out

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Sounds like you may need some custom, reinforced, multi-layer silicone hoses to mate the pipes and deal with the vibration and movement. I would call Hoover and Turbohoses (925.455.1066) right away. He could probably get you custom hoses in about 48 hours, maybe sooner. Tell him Wayne sent you....He builds all types of custom stuff from mild to wild, and even for the military. Great stuff!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Interesting concept,I don't see the MAF was it fitted after these photo's were taken

heres the way I did mine to keep the intake temps down and still using the engine cover intakesfor fresh cold air, but I did make the outlets in the custom carbon engine cover larger.
Cheers and great work on you design
Neil

Hey Neil, I have a question for you. I sent you a PM, Thanks, Brian

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I like the concept. At the 2007 SEMA show while looking at the SCT Turbo car S592R and I had a discussion about using that area for an alternate intake location.

After seeing the intake locations on their turbo set up it would have been advantageous to extend their intakes about 8" and get into that area and blank off the engine bay as the GT guys are doing.

I would add a small snorkel and pump clean fresh air in from the clam shell feed into this new plenum area. Like mentioned by Rockstar the only way to get fresh air into that are is from the back of the car which is a dirty air / low pressure zone. Adding a small snorkel duct would eliminate that concern but I think the over all concept is good. Good job Rich & Dennis.. :thumbsup

Brian you and me think alike, but i have taken it one step farther. I making carbon tubes from the front clamb vent to the air box spot or the spot behind the tire depending on where the turbos are mounted. These tubes will go in the carbon clambshell im building, i'll post a pic in a min.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian you and me think alike, but i have taken it one step farther. I making carbon tubes from the front clamb vent to the air box spot or the spot behind the tire depending on where the turbos are mounted. These tubes will go in the carbon clambshell im building, i'll post a pic in a min.

Cool.. can't wait to see all your CF goodies,, B.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Hey Neil, I have a question for you. I sent you a PM, Thanks, Brian

No problem PM sent
Neil

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
First off I would like to thank Matt for making the initial post on our new cold air kit. We have been really busy lately with many cars and projects and we recently had a customer (to be named later) fly in and check out his car that is almost completed for the Rally.
Now onto the kit. With our final testing just about complete we are just about to start production and wanted to see how many were interested to see how big of an initial production run we should do. From the testing we have done so far over the past 6 months we have seen about a 35rwhp gain on a pulley car and about a 40rwhp gain on a Gen 2 Whipple car, as Matt stated previously. This goes along with the new Accufab monoblade throttle body, our MAF sensor (which has a greater range and you can get rid of the sometimes troublesome MAFia), and new 91 octane tune to go along with the new parts. This kit was designed so anyone could install it and there would zero modifications to car or chassis (bolt on and off and no one will know).
We have created the block off plates to separate the hot engine bay from the filters since they won’t be fed by the original (small) clamshell openings. The block off plate will mount above the existing heat shields with the same fasteners and the top of the plate will be installed in between the rear halo bar and the pork chop (as we call them) with the original pushpins. We have also machined the IAC control hose fitting and the crankcase vent fitting into the new part so the original hoses and tubing won’t be modified and makes for easier assembly.
We also designed this kit so it would handle up to 1000HP with the K&N filters we specified and the size of the AL tubing. This way it could be installed on a wider range of applications. Now, the induction system won’t be the limiting factor on HP gains, after the throttle body will be the limiting factor. The biggest issue is that it won’t work on the TT cars, cars with a Ford Racing or factory muffler but we set it up so it would work with most of the other aftermarket exhausts. Which brings me to the next point, it is actually farther from the exhaust than the stock box to minimize the amount of direct heat transfer. It is closer than we would like but because the MAF has to be in a perfect spot after the two air tubes connect (because of turbulence) and far enough away from the tbody in order to work properly. We also plan on ceramic coating these kits in black to try to help with heat transfer and to keep the engine bay colors in the same proportion.
The question was asked earlier about air in the engine bay. We put a few t/c’s (thermocouples) in 3 areas of my engine bay and did some baseline testing. One was just under the throttlebody, the second was in the area were the filters will be, and the third was at the closest point between the exhaust and stock air box. Note this testing was done on a 90 degree day cruising on the highway. Naturally track temps will be much different but we are looking for deltas in temp maintaining a constant test. I then went for a nice normal cruise and after about 20 minutes of constant driving the first t/c (under tbody) was about 110 degrees, the second t/c (new filter location) was 100 degress, and the third t/c (airbox to exhaust) was about 130 degrees. This told us that the temps would be even lower if we blocked off this area. We also tried to put naca ducts (NASCAR side window scoops) in the engine belly pan to try to suck some more fresh air into the engine bay and it definitely helped the airflow but it actually made all of three of the t/c’s go up in temp by about 30 degress . We thought how could this be but then we figured out the the new circulation of air is forcing the exhaust manifold heat straight up and causing all of the temps to rise. This is no good since it raised the ambient air around the tbody and that is were you want the air to be as cool as possible. So scratch that test off of the list if you want to try it. Now with the stock airbox removed we are expecting to LOWER the engine bay temps as now the forced air will push the engine bay heat down, then out the back through the rear screens. Also this will allow fresh cool air to blow directly onto part of our cold air kit helping to cool the assembly between the filters and the tbody. This will be verified hopefully this week!!
We have tried to think of every scenario and every situation but there may be some people out there with negative comments and we welcome all feedback, even if they try to make us look bad. This is why we do this and we are always looking for ways to make these great cars even better.
We plan on displaying the last prototype before production on my (tribute) car at Joey’s in 2 weeks.
I believe this is my longest post ever! There is more to the development side of this story but testing is always ongoing and we just wanted to put a feeler out there to see who might be interested.
Now I wish I had more time to write but we have to go back to the shop as we have plenty of work to do. I will post again when we are farther along. Thanks again Matt, as you and Mark are #2 and #3 (I have to be first, lol) on the list followed by a few more already.