Small hydraulic fluid leak from aero flap mechanism

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I have seen a few coal Chute actuator leak before....... it's a covered component under warranty if you need any additional information please feel free to contact me anytime.

Joe
You can add my '19 GT to the list of leaking front hydraulics. Did an oil change today on mine and had it up on my two-post lift. I noticed in front several fluid drips coming from or near the front aero flaps. Confirmed that it was not AC condensation/water. I decided not to take the front underside panel off to check further and will add it to my list of things to fix when I take it in for warranty work. Did check back at my house where I park my car and there are two small areas of red fluid seeps on the floor under the front. Very easy to spot when you have a solid light gray epoxy coated garage floor.

Back wing stays up all the time per Ford recommendation.

Hope the servicing dealer has the expertise to fix this.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Gary, not just the skills: one reason my car sat in the dealership for three months is because they were waiting on parts

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Hello Texas Mongrel, Trust me it not fun for us on the dealership side as well waiting, However I can understand ford problem as well.....that being some parts coming from the UK other parts from Italy.....ect ect and remember these are limited production cars so the parts will never be mass produced and trying to keep enough parts for production is hard enough let alone the service side of things.......be patients it will get better.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
After reading about these problems with hydraulic leaks, things getting stuck, transmission problems, etc., it sounds more like maintaining a military airplane. And I'm beginning to think I dodged a bullet by not getting an allocation.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
After reading about these problems with hydraulic leaks, things getting stuck, transmission problems, etc., it sounds more like maintaining a military airplane. And I'm beginning to think I dodged a bullet by not getting an allocation.
Nah. Love mine. No issues. If I could get my arms around it to hug it I would.

I think parts will get much more difficult to get in 5-6 years after production stops. If some 05-06 parts are now unavailable, I believe that's a hint about the future availability of parts for a much rarer (and much more complicated) car.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I think parts will get much more difficult to get in 5-6 years after production stops. If some 05-06 parts are now unavailable, I believe that's a hint about the future availability of parts for a much rarer (and much more complicated) car.
I’m hopeful that Multimatic will ensure support for these cars for years to come since many of the technical bits and pieces are designed, made, and originally installed by them.

I suspect it's all a question of demand and manufacturing cost. Ford isn't covering itself with glory making replacements available for the 05-06 cars. An antique/classic motorcycle restorer in the UK has the motto that "what man has made, man can make again" which is true, but I think making new chips and computers and the software to make them work like originals is not as straightforward as having new aftermarket pistons made.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
My 19' GT is at the dealer for warranty work. I asked about the aero wing rubbing issue and if there was any solution back from Ford on preventing it from happening. My service advisor sent me a pdf file containing Ford TSB 20-2353 which outlines what's Ford's current solution. The TSB does mention the following: "small irreversible modifications will be made to the rear body panels by installing the wing bumpers."

Has anyone had this worked performed yet? Not sure I want mods to the body panels unless done by the factory.

Magic

TSB 20-2353 comment.JPG

Attachments

• BRN3C2AF4145E65_019360.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • BRN3C2AF4145E65_019360.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It’s two tiny rubber bump stops placed in a spot you’ll never see. I still probably wouldn’t bother and would just park with the wing up. Meh.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Yes. I had the modification done on 2017 Liquid Blue 0098 this past fall.
Done by Master GT Technician Joe Sicoli at Milliken Ford in the NFGT Clean Room.

Small holes drilled in body surface, install 2 small (about 12 mm dia) rubber snubbers.
Install 2 mating surface flat pieces on bottom of wing itself . These then ‘kiss’ if the wing tilts in the retracted position,
A nice ‘mechanical stop ‘ rather that some software or hydraulic pressure modification that longer term may not work.
Andy (ajb)

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Are the new, late 2020-2022 cars having them installed from the factory?

Reactions: Simon

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Good question. Need input from a new owner.
Andy (ajb)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got the front hydraulic leak addressed under warranty in December. $8600 part. Thought it would be just the small hydraulic piston part, but it’s actually the whole assembly including several lines (the “Medusa” in pics at top of this thread). Problem fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: italianjoe

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Yes

Reactions: extrap

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Good question. Need input from a new owner.
Andy (ajb)
My 2020 L259 had the stoppers installed when the car was delivered on 2/20/21. It’s getting ppf now so I can’t post pics yet. The delivery tech Steve emphasized store with wing up.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
That's great news, thanks for letting everyone know!

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I got the front hydraulic leak addressed under warranty in December. $8600 part. Thought it would be just the small hydraulic piston part, but it’s actually the whole assembly including several lines (the “Medusa” in pics at top of this thread). Problem fixed.

Hello Bye Enzo,

Happy to hear you got the issuse fixed not sure as to why they replaced the whole shute and not just the actuator but as long as it was fixed all is good.

Joe

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Hello Bye Enzo,

Happy to hear you got the issuse fixed not sure as to why they replaced the whole shute and not just the actuator but as long as it was fixed all is good.

Joe

I think the part they replaced is the actuator and some lines that attach to it. The flap mechanism or chute was ok.

Reactions: italianjoe

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
My 2020 L259 had the stoppers installed when the car was delivered on 2/20/21. It’s getting ppf now so I can’t post pics yet. The delivery tech Steve emphasized store with wing up.

Thank you! So despite the stoppers being installed they still recommend that the wing be stored in the deployed position. Very interesting. Must still be a small chance that they would fail and allow contact with the body.