Small hydraulic fluid leak from aero flap mechanism

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Does anyone know at what speed the front active aero flaps activate? I noticed a few drops of hydraulic fluid on garage floor yesterday. Coming from small weep hole under front pan of car. Removed pan (tons of screws and 6 push pin fasteners). Looks like the piston that activates flaps is weeping. Want to drive car a bit today and recheck before replacing front cover. Does not look catastrophic, like pump or hydraulic lines are the source. Man, it’s complex down there with all those hydraulic and coolant lines!
8798A136-E86B-4DEF-9173-0EB0B2C1CDA4.jpeg60A00401-3472-4ED6-8F61-A6820044D07B.jpeg1DDABC48-273C-4CC7-9B92-CE037FA0DF70.jpegBF237BC8-120E-4778-B259-6114763AF91D.jpeg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The front flaps exactly match the rear wing deployment. Preserves the "aero balance"

Flaps close when wing up, increasing front downforce. They open when wing is down, allowing less downforce in the front (hopefully my mind is working correctly this morning)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Complexity of this car worries me down the line. Especially if “ service “ centers will be able to handle repairs. Will MM be available for repairs when warranty expires??!!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My car has sat in the shop for over nine weeks now due to hydraulic leaks (among other recalls and TSBs). Don’t for one second think you’ll enjoy 05/06 reliability with these cars.....

Reactions: Specracer

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder if the weepage is a consequence of leaving my rear wing up when parked. Worried about paint rub that has been described. That results in the actuator piston up front being deployed also. The piston is extended when the aero doors are shut. System is pressurized. The return spring opens the little doors up front when rear wing down, working in unison. EE50D8BF-242F-46C6-A6EB-B5BAB5D155C2.jpeg07572D8E-02F9-471C-AC61-117A670E1ACB.jpeg

Reactions: Ed Sims

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Does anyone know at what speed the front active aero flaps activate? I noticed a few drops of hydraulic fluid on garage floor yesterday. Coming from small weep hole under front pan of car. Removed pan (tons of screws and 6 push pin fasteners). Looks like the piston that activates flaps is weeping. Want to drive car a bit today and recheck before replacing front cover. Does not look catastrophic, like pump or hydraulic lines are the source. Man, it’s complex down there with all those hydraulic and coolant lines!
View attachment 60040View attachment 60041View attachment 60042View attachment 60043
I have seen a few coal Chute actuator leak before....... it's a covered component under warranty if you need any additional information please feel free to contact me anytime.

Joe

Although I don't own a new GT, I can't help but wonder what is going to happen to future parts supplies for it. There are now unobtainium parts for the 05-06 cars, and they made more than 4000 of those. What will parts availability look like for the new one in 10 years?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have seen a few coal Chute actuator leak before....... it's a covered component under warranty if you need any additional information please feel free to contact me anytime.

Joe

Thanks! I’m going to monitor the situation closely. Car’s still in warranty till next spring. Barring a big leak, I’ll enjoy driving it till the next oil change this winter, and then get it fixed.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I wonder if the weepage is a consequence of leaving my rear wing up when parked. Worried about paint rub that has been described. That results in the actuator piston up front being deployed also. The piston is extended when the aero doors are shut. System is pressurized. The return spring opens the little doors up front when rear wing down, working in unison. View attachment 60047View attachment 60048

Unfortunately sometimes hydraulic systems have a way of doing just that, leaking/failing by leaving them extended for longer times.
That's been my experience with skiploaders, forklifts, engine hoists etc.

Reactions: jammer

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Also I have decided to for at least 80% of the time the car is sitting, to store it with the wing down so as to not stress the hydraulics.
I made some protective pieces that when the wing comes to full rest it contacts on those instead of the body.
So far so good, no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apollo and ByeEnzo

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi Stef, can you take a picture of what you are using? (y)

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Yes, please post. Thank you.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Also I have decided to for at least 80% of the time the car is sitting, to store it with the wing down so as to not stress the hydraulics.
I made some protective pieces that when the wing comes to full rest it contacts on those instead of the body.
So far so good, no problems.

Hello Stef, I can understand your concerns about the hydraulic system In your Ford Gt, however I would advise that you keep the rear wing in the deployed mode to prevent body damage, when your rear wing hydraulic pressure bleeds off after sitting for long periods of time the rear wing natural rest position is in (air brake mode). That's when the front of the wing faces down. For this reason Ford has asked Ford GT owners to keep the rear wing deployed when sitting for longer then 72hours. Here is the service message issued by FMC.

48515 - 2017-2020 Ford GT – Paint Damage From Aero Wing During Vehicle Storage
Some 2017-2020 Ford GT vehicles may experience the front edge of the aero wing l owering when in the retracted position for longer than 72 hours without engine o peration. This condition may result in paint damage if the aero wing contacts th e inner quarter panel. To prevent this from occurring, the aero wing should be p laced in the deployed position prior to storage by activating track mode and the n returning to normal mode. For information regarding drive mode activation, ref erence the driving aids section of the vehicles Owner’s Manual. Engineering is i nvestigating the concern, monitor OASIS for updates.

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Today I took my car out (against the law) and allowed the wing to 'drop'. When I came back from my short "joyride" I took two blue rubber hospital surgical gloves and slid one on each side between the wing corner and the body. They are thin enough to easily install and remove, prove several layers of soft rubber between the surfaces and I won't miss pulling them out, putting them in my car should I drive again.
Andy [ajb)

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Hello Stef, I can understand your concerns about the hydraulic system In your Ford Gt, however I would advise that you keep the rear wing in the deployed mode to prevent body damage, when your rear wing hydraulic pressure bleeds off after sitting for long periods of time the rear wing natural rest position is in (air brake mode). That's when the front of the wing faces down. For this reason Ford has asked Ford GT owners to keep the rear wing deployed when sitting for longer then 72hours. Here is the service message issued by FMC.

48515 - 2017-2020 Ford GT – Paint Damage From Aero Wing During Vehicle Storage
Some 2017-2020 Ford GT vehicles may experience the front edge of the aero wing l owering when in the retracted position for longer than 72 hours without engine o peration. This condition may result in paint damage if the aero wing contacts th e inner quarter panel. To prevent this from occurring, the aero wing should be p laced in the deployed position prior to storage by activating track mode and the n returning to normal mode. For information regarding drive mode activation, ref erence the driving aids section of the vehicles Owner’s Manual. Engineering is i nvestigating the concern, monitor OASIS for updates.

There is an option of deploying the wing with out going into track mode. Does raising the wing in that fashion any different?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I keep the wing down & use 2 small pieces of cardboard just in case. I drive it enough not to worry. Just went over 6200 miles today.

Ed

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
There is an option of deploying the wing with out going into track mode. Does raising the wing in that fashion any different?

Thanks
NO none as long as the wing is up when storing for long periods of time should be ok. I will let you all know if
and when they find a solution.

Reactions: JWZ and ByeEnzo

Jiminee

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2013
Bay Area, CA
My car is now in the shop as well with hydraulic fluid leaks--yes, multiple. Hopefully, will learn more soon.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Hi Stef, can you take a picture of what you are using? (y)

Hi Terry,
Here is what I came up with.
I used heavy paper coasters, foam from a tile sponge, corrugated cardboard and a hot glue gun.
These are just quick prototypes
so If anyone has any ideas on how to take these to the next level, please do so.
With the two layers of cardboard I haven't had any issues and also it holds the rear hatch up just enough to prevent the battery tender wire from pressing against the hatch weather seal and deforming it.
I got the coasters thrown at me during the drivers parade in Lemans, so I think they're GT appropriate LOL.
Please tell Monica I said hi.
20200428_210921.jpg20200428_210932.jpg

20200428_211734.jpg

Attachments

• 20200428_211631.jpg
    20200428_211631.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: Apollo