Slime

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If you put slime in, your tire shop will black list you forever. They hate it. I used it on a lawnmower tire and they refused to fix it due to the slime.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would never expect to do anything with a punctured tire on the GT except replace it with a new one. Given a flat while on the road, my order of attack would be: 1) Plug; 2) Goo; 3) Flatbed.

I've successfully plugged tires on the road on other vehicles (I'd rather drive on a plugged tire than a mini-donut spare), but I've never used goo. I'm just curious if anyone has successfully used either the OEM or the Conti kit, especially on a rear tire, which is larger than the Conti kit is designed for.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I use it on my girlfriend, she loves it

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Good one!

Back to serious, I carry a plug kit in the GT, would never use a can of goo

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I bet she does

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Damn. I'm gonna keep some in my pocket. My OEM is about expired. Not that there's been any demand for it lately.

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
If I was going to use a sealant it would be Stan's. That green slime is nasty crap. Plugs valve stems and is impossible to clean up. Stan's is almost like water and just needs a couple ounces. Won't affect tire balance either.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I had Slime cause corrosion on aluminum wheels. I never used it again.

Chip

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Fear of a flat has inpired me to carry a plug kit and a small collection of tools. Also, a breaker bar with socket, emergency scissor jack (yes, low enough to fit) and a short, wooden ramp to raise the flat tire for the jack (stored behind the driver's seat). Myself and two nearby GT owners are pledged to each other for 24 hr/day tire delivery service!

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Very cool! :thumbsup :thumbsup

What jack?

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I think I ordered the jack from Home Depot on-line. It was very cheap ($10?) and low (3 1/2"). I tested it out after it arrived and it worked........but only for an emergency. I would never consider it for regular use, or send anyone I was fond of under the car. The wooden ramp will be harder to come by. I had mine cut by a wood shop.

I just checked. That "scissor jack" is still available but the price is now $22. The first customer review is accurate: Hard to use but good in an emergency. Remember, the jack is useless without the ramp. Hopefully, all this preparation will be a waste of time. It at least gives me a (false?) sense of security.

Howard

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Got the Conti replacement kit from Tire Rack for $28. The new bottle of latex is good for three years (exp 11/15).

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I did not see the latex bottle was available separately.

Need to look harder next time, well, I guess I have a spare compressor now.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I would have replaced just the latex but all the stickers on everything were coming apart on my original, so I opted for a totally new unit.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The replacement kit has new speed/distance warning and expiration date stickers.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Conti-Kit

I released the Conti-kit (The Aston Guys were specifying it at the time and it made sense for the GT). It seals damage from a 1/4" bolt (this does not mean a 1/4" hole) as long as it is in the tread and not the shoulder or sidewall. We tested a few size screws and bolts including a 1/4" lag bolt and drove it hard on the handling track after using the kit...way, way beyond recommended and they held up fine. Simply intended to get you home or a shop for replacement.

It is latex as noted here so it cleans up with water. I believe the "generic" Conti-Kit sold at tire rack at the edge of the GT rear tire size is the same as the Ford OEM, but not positive. I would not use any of the other slime options. However, I have plugged more than a few tires with good success, so that would be my other recommendation with the Conti-Kit compressor...turn off the sealant. Again, any repair of this nature should be considered for "limp home" on a FGT. Too easy to forget and drive it hard.

Scott

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I did not see the latex bottle was available separately.

Need to look harder next time, well, I guess I have a spare compressor now.

I had to call to place an order for the refill bottle separately.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks!