Slime

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello

I was considering putting "Slime" into the GT tires as a preventative measure against some flats, considering we have no spare, it's very hard to jack car up and cringe at the thought of trailering this may give some peace of mind, has anyone used this? http://www.slime.com/

Thank you
Steve

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You are aware of the fact your GT already has (SHOULD have) a tire inflater in the front boot from the factory, right?

I don't think I'd want to squirt anything into a good, inflated tire that could screw up its balance.

'Just my $.02. :cheers

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I use slime in my Quail hunting rig in S. Texas but would never use in my GT tires. Would definately screw up balancing of the tire. Slime works in off road vehicles only. Tomy

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me for a high performance tire/car.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I carry one of these http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pocket-Tire-Plugger-%2d-For-All-Tubeless-Tires.html StopNGo plug kits. I like these better than the sticky rope. These have mushroom head plugs for a more secure seal. I don't like any kind of fix-a-flat in the tire if I can help it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Be careful if you use any products that you put in your GT wheel/tire.

The flat repair sealant that came with the GT is a specialized formula that will not plug up the tire core.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...The flat repair sealant that came with the GT is a specialized formula that will not plug up the tire core.

or react with the wheel materials.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Speaking of the slime that came with our cars. Mine is still in the boot.. as is the compressor...
What is the 'Shelf Life" of the slime.. ? Does is decay, get hard, melt etc??
andy (AJB)

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Good question AJB, look forward to the answers.
I have the "sticky rope" (as Xcentric calls it) repair parts and tool in all my cars. Thankfully have not had to put it to use yet.
Is it me, or didn't there used to be a lot more flats on the roads than the past 20 or so years?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Speaking of the slime that came with our cars. Mine is still in the boot.. as is the compressor...
andy (AJB)

Mine has an expiration date. It's already dead. I imagine that is for the goo. I'll wait for AAA.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
andy (AJB)

I've read everything from 12-18 months to 3 years.

My guess? It'll be DEAD whenever you need to use it no matter how old it is. But then you know how I am...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There was a thread on replacement goo direct from the manufacturer a while back - check the archives...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My tire inflator/goo expired in 2009. Go to the TireRack website. It's a standard Continental kit for $78 ($85 delivered). You can buy just the goo, but since mine was already 7 years old, I just orederd the whole unit. It's good for 4 years I believe. The tow hook fits in without problem since it's the exact same unit. I might add if you price it from Ford, the price is $478 (that's right, $400 for the Ford logo on it).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, price went up a $1 since I bought mine 2 weeks ago.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I have replace the GOO in my car but as an added insurance I purchased an ATV tire repair kit from Cabalas part # IK-523549, $20.00, and keep it behind the passenger seat. Not sure how large of a hole the GOO can fix. I have used these to repair ATV, truck and trailer tires and can be a life saver to get to a tire repair shop. Like Steve I hate the thought of having the car towed.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've been lucky in that all the screws, nuts, bolts and railroad spike that punctured my POS Goodyears only slowed leaked For a while I thought the tires had magnetic properties..... .....and along w Frank bought a new unit last year as the first one was 7+ yrs....

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the direct link BlackIce!
Just ordered a replacement.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Is the Conti kit for sure the same as OEM? It looks exactly the same, but according to the Tire Rack guide, our rear tires are too big. Has anyone actually used this kit to fix a rear flat? Since mine expired in 2010, I'm thinking of getting the replacement goo kit.

Conti.JPG

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
When I changed the stock tires we found the dealer had used some type of white slime inside one of the tires. Guess it had a slow leak at some point. Never had any balance issues.