Should I Order Boss at MSRP?

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Have a dealer offering me an October build for MSRP with no market adjustment. I was going to get this car but then heard all the overheating stories. Since I live in AZ this is important for me. Is the next year going to be better in this regard? Or should I wait until I can find an LS? In addition to being a track toy I need this car to be my long distance cruiser when not using the Raptor. Possible or bad idea? Thanks for the advice.

H

HHGT

I would wait for the LS and you should be able to get them below MSRP soon enough. Over heating on the track was resolved by removing the grill. Contact Kendall here on the forum as he owns one and had taken it to the rally last week and is in the process of providing some options.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I also live in AZ and have absolutely no overheating issues in my Boss when it's used as my dd. Tracking in warmer temps will require removal of the grill.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As JBG said, absolutely no overheating issues ever reported on the boss except on the track on VERY hot days and pushing the crap out of it. However, now there's even a cure for that - you simply remove the front grill while you're at the track! Maybe a more elegant solution will appear, but removing it only takes about 5 minutes. It's also a great driver's car for the street!!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
As JBG said, absolutely no overheating issues ever reported on the boss except on the track on VERY hot days and pushing the crap out of it. However, now there's even a cure for that - you simply remove the front grill while you're at the track! Maybe a more elegant solution will appear, but removing it only takes about 5 minutes. It's also a great driver's car for the street!!

Absolutely correct. Not even close to getting hot in the heat of Bakersfield daily driving with close to 5000 miles so far. As Kendall and JBG said, the 5 minute grill trick is all that is needed for hard track use. As a test, I popped the grill and ran the Boss very hard when I got back from Miller at our local track with the AC on high for 30 minute sessions and the Boss did not even come close getting hot... and it was 98 degrees out. Overheating is really a non issue. Affording a track addiction may be.:lol These are incredibly capable and extremely fun cars. They are a bargain at half the cost of anything that comes close to the Boss's capabilities and getting an LS at sticker would be icing on the cake.:thumbsup
Oh, and they are wonderfully comfortable and useful as a DD too!

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Absolutely correct. Not even close to getting hot in the heat of Bakersfield daily driving with close to 5000 miles so far. As Kendall and JBG said, the 5 minute grill trick is all that is needed for hard track use. As a test, I popped the grill and ran the Boss very hard when I got back from Miller at our local track with the AC on high for 30 minute sessions and the Boss did not even come close getting hot... and it was 98 degrees out. Overheating is really a non issue. Affording a track addiction may be.:lol These are incredibly capable and extremely fun cars. They are a bargain at half the cost of anything that comes close to the Boss's capabilities and getting an LS at sticker would be icing on the cake.:thumbsup
Oh, and they are wonderfully comfortable and useful as a DD too!

All I can say to Appollo's comments are Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I'm not worried about over heating in daily driving, just on the track. I read the full story by nota4re on the mustang board, but if I recall it was still running 232 or something with the grill off? Still seems high. I'm sure he'll come up with a better fix just find it hard to believe Ford released it without noticing. I understand why the GT had a few overheating issues, and I understand why the Raptor has a few issues, but I am really surprised about the Boss. I've only seen one of the colors in person so I'm still on hold.

How would you guys rate the LS for long road trips, or is the suspension about the same comfort as the non-ls?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regarding the track temps - yes, maybe we are conditioned to thing that 232 is hot but according to Ford, the car can run "all day" at the track at that temperature. The ECU DOES have a threshold to invoke limp-mode if it thinks the heat is excessive. Note that all of us at MMP (5-6 Bosses) running on a very fast rack in mid-90 degree temps at 4500 elevation, none of us experienced a heat-induced limp mode. Of course, we all had the greills removed.

I'd say that a long road trip in the LS or regular Boss would be the same. Both are very comfortable.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
When I was getting my car serviced at Miller, one of the techs did mention the overheating issue, and they are working to resolve it.

I would talk to them about what they are considering...

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I'm not worried about over heating in daily driving, just on the track. I read the full story by nota4re on the mustang board, but if I recall it was still running 232 or something with the grill off? Still seems high. I'm sure he'll come up with a better fix just find it hard to believe Ford released it without noticing. I understand why the GT had a few overheating issues, and I understand why the Raptor has a few issues, but I am really surprised about the Boss. I've only seen one of the colors in person so I'm still on hold.

How would you guys rate the LS for long road trips, or is the suspension about the same comfort as the non-ls?

I was worried about the long haul issue also. I have to commute to two plants for work from Bakersfield. One is in Camarillo, the other near Palm Springs. I will be in the car for over four hours at a stretch in times with traffic and the seats are absolutely great. The ride is good also, not too firm even with these crappy California roads. (I have not ridden in a non LS). I thought I would miss some of the creature comforts like automatic A/C and heated/cooled seats but the car is just so fun to just cruise in. (2013 has rumors of sync and possibly auto A/C). Even the exhaust is outstanding. Kendall took out the baffle plate and I thought I was going to have trouble using my bluetooth headset or be bothered by the noise on long drives. Not so, It is amazingly quiet when you are cruising in 5th or 6th. If you want to hear that beautiful exhaust you have to get on it androw through the gears. As a comparison, I was using a C6 Corvette for commuting before and this Boss is far more comfortable, has a way better ride and is far more useful for daily use. Monica loves this car too. We LOVE this car.
If you are ever in the area, I would be happy to have you take the LS for an extended drive and experience it for yourself. :thumbsup

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Roketman and I took advantage of the Boss Track Attack after the Rally and we had the opprotunity to spend some time with Jim Owens, Ford's Mustang brand manager. He said Ford is well aware of the overheating issues on the track and will be providing a solution within 30 days. Although no specifics were mentioned, it appears that the owners should be provided some type of upgrade to address the issue by the end of September.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Thank you all very much for the input. Especially on the distance driving. I find that if I get any more cars it just becomes a pain to juggle them, so I need this to have dual function. Just tired of being forced to drive slow on the track and it always seems to be heat that is the problem.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I drove the snot out of my BOSS @ Miller and there where no over heating issues what so ever and I had my grille in place. Then drove back from SLC to Socal with cruise control on at 75 mph most of the way and got 26 mpg. Cruising along it felt more like a Lincoln Town Car and I was well rested when I got home. Damn I love this car, ROAD TRIP!!! :banana

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
There where a total of 7-8 Boss's at the Rally. No laps lost to overheating and everyone I saw had a big grin's on their face's. Car was a blast on the track. Large/ Flat torque curve.
I think most of us where concerned with the 240 temp from GT experience... this doesn't seem to be the same for the Boss.( My max was 238)
Drove the Boss home 2300 miles in 2 days. Very comfortable for that kind of drive. 23mpg.
I'm ready for another ROAD TRIP!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There where a total of 7-8 Boss's at the Rally. No laps lost to overheating and everyone I saw had a big grin's on their face's. Car was a blast on the track. Large/ Flat torque curve.
I think most of us where concerned with the 240 temp from GT experience... this doesn't seem to be the same for the Boss.( My max was 238)
Drove the Boss home 2300 miles in 2 days. Very comfortable for that kind of drive. 23mpg.
I'm ready for another ROAD TRIP!!
Glad you enjoyed your first rally.It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you !
best regards ,Ron

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
It's 114 in Phoenix, and similar at Chuckwalla which just sent me an email about a track day this weekend. Just really hot down here.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Glad you enjoyed your first rally.It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you !
best regards ,Ron

First Rally was really enjoyable.. Great finally meeting up with you. When you get the boss ready for a local track day, let me know.
Would really enjoy running some local tracks. I'll PM you my info.
B/R Bruce

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
What is MSRP on this car ?