Shadowman's OEM/NASCAR Style Front Brake Ducts

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ah, this grasshopper now understands the true purpose of the fans.

Aug 25, 2006
Ah, this grasshopper now understands the true purpose of the fans.

I am glad fjpikul aka Frank aka “Grasshopper”

Here are a few more pictures

The first one is of the cross over harness ready to be integrated within the gal's boot area. It has been sheathed as if OEM and will now be integrated and then the final length of the plug ends determined. Thiis was it will fit as if OEM without any stray wire tucked here and there.

The second is of the passenger side assembly as it will in installed; now for those of you aware of the fact that the emissions evaporator system is also located on the passenger side I have made certain that this assemble "can" be installed while the OEM emissions evaporator system is fully in place which means that all OEM hardware will remain. I share this picture with it out so you are able to see how it was successfully integrated with the original OEM systems.

The third is of the multi seal Deutsch connecter installed with the power being drawn from the SJB box and the ground as can be seen in the forth picture connected at the OEM mass grounding point at the front of the frame rail.

The forth picture shows this portion of the custom front brake air duct system fully integrated and the Deutsch connector barely visible and yet easily accessible.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01565.JPG
    DSC01565.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC01570.JPG
    DSC01570.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC01575.JPG
    DSC01575.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01583.JPG
    DSC01583.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 352

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
What an unbelievable and incredible project this is! The Shadowman really pushes the envelope and somehow goes further than anyone -- where no man has gone before!

I wish the GT race teams would chime in here. Although I realize they almost certainly don't care about the OEM aspects that Bill has so diligently been concerned about, for sure they must be interested in optimizing the front brake cooling function and perhaps even the project's carefully planned servicing aspects.

I barely understand how most of this effort works and definitely don't how or why anyone would undertake something so difficult and with perhaps such a limited market. But we all are fortunate that guys like Bill (along with Rich, Denis, Kendall, and John Bailey just to name some) are willing to not just help keep our cars in top shape but also to improve the breed.

Thanks for all you do Bill!

Aug 25, 2006
What an unbelievable and incredible project this is! The Shadowman really pushes the envelope and somehow goes further than anyone -- where no man has gone before!

I wish the GT race teams would chime in here. Although I realize they almost certainly don't care about the OEM aspects that Bill has so diligently been concerned about, for sure they must be interested in optimizing the front brake cooling function and perhaps even the project's carefully planned servicing aspects.

I barely understand how most of this effort works and definitely don't how or why anyone would undertake something so difficult and with perhaps such a limited market. But we all are fortunate that guys like Bill (along with Rich, Denis, Kendall, and John Bailey just to name some) are willing to not just help keep our cars in top shape but also to improve the breed.

Thanks for all you do Bill!

Thank you for the kind words on behalf of all of us that have the opportunity to massage these gals; now this appreciation "also" goes for those folks that have massaged and or had their gal massaged for it is the dream of the individual that make projects such as this a reality.

Please keep in mind and let me be very clear that I did not create this path but rather followed the path carved out by many others before me and it is because of this fact that many obstacles were understood/overcome before I began.

Now as for the race teams and their comments as well as their methodology for such a system, it would be “function” with the form being dictated by that solo aspect.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

With the closure panels in the final stage of completion it was time to locate and create the air transition manifold that will allow the duct behind the front inner fender liner to be migrated into the wheel area.

I have the location determined as evidenced in the pictures below and will now fabricate a nice aluminum transition manifold that will be secured to the front portion of the front inner fender liner. By doing it this way it will make the installation and future serving painless all the time creating an OEM appearing system. BTW in order for the system to work as designed we did convert the OEM one piece front inner fender liners to an OEM appearing two piece system that installs as if OEM using all OEM retainers. The two piece system not only makes the process of removing and installing these inner fender liners easy but IMO more importantly all but eliminates the risk of damage as associated with the removal and installation of the one piece system.

Then I also needed to secure the front brake air duct at the spindle/rotor and in doing so also direct the airflow towards the inner portion of the rotor.

I looked at several systems on the market today and also chatted with many folks in the industry and decided that there was no basis or reason to reinvent the proverbial wheel as such I contacted a Forum member that at one time had a pair by backing plates created for his gal for sale that he was no longer using. After a brief conversation I decided to purchase them as mockups/patterns thus taking some of the fundamental design work out of the equation leaving me with only the need to twist and tweak the design to my liking and then fabricate the first run pieces for these gals.

BTW "all" of the materials as presented in these pieces is for mockup purposes only and not the first run hardware that will be use. This includes the inner fender liners that are now wonderful patterns.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01727.JPG
    DSC01727.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01729.JPG
    DSC01729.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC01722.JPG
    DSC01722.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC01723.JPG
    DSC01723.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Some rain gutter down spouts, dryer ducting, zip ties and duct tape.
I'm getting started on my own.

Aug 25, 2006
Some rain gutter down spouts, dryer ducting, zip ties and duct tape.
I'm getting started on my own.

My friend sandman

I thought long and hard about your reply and have decided to accept this as a compliment; thank you

However if you remain serious with your "Home Depot" endeavor then I need to also share that the process will be made easier if you also remove the front hubs; a step that I failed to share earlier.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01735.JPG
    DSC01735.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC01739.JPG
    DSC01739.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 283
Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

Now the details continue as the system as been fully designed and the mockups completed and installed.

Here the relocated OEM power steering lines are finally connected to the power steering cooler; because the distance is a bit greater I used a section of XRP hose and full wrap clamps to insure that the future serving remains easy and that there are no reliability issues. This is a low pressure area of the the system.

The pictures are as follows;

1. Is of the new blue XRP hose

2. Is of the fully wrap clamp; this means that the clamp by design wraps the hose within the band so as to insure pressure all around rather than pinching at the cinch point

3. Sadly because the gals have been disassembled again as the mockup pieces are now at the machine shop with the CNC programming being completed as we make ready to have the final pieces created by the CNC Strippit machine and yet also exciting because the next time that they are assembled will also be the last.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01747.JPG
    DSC01747.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01748.JPG
    DSC01748.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC01751.JPG
    DSC01751.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 236

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
UPDATE

With the closure panels in the final stage of completion it was time to locate and create the air transition manifold that will allow the duct behind the front inner fender liner to be migrated into the wheel area.

I have the location determined as evidenced in the pictures below and will now fabricate a nice aluminum transition manifold that will be secured to the front portion of the front inner fender liner. By doing it this way it will make the installation and future serving painless all the time creating an OEM appearing system. BTW in order for the system to work as designed we did convert the OEM one piece front inner fender liners to an OEM appearing two piece system that installs as if OEM using all OEM retainers. The two piece system not only makes the process of removing and installing these inner fender liners easy but IMO more importantly all but eliminates the risk of damage as associated with the removal and installation of the one piece system.

Then I also needed to secure the front brake air duct at the spindle/rotor and in doing so also direct the airflow towards the inner portion of the rotor.

I looked at several systems on the market today and also chatted with many folks in the industry and decided that there was no basis or reason to reinvent the proverbial wheel as such I contacted a Forum member that at one time had a pair by backing plates created for his gal for sale that he was no longer using. After a brief conversation I decided to purchase them as mockups/patterns thus taking some of the fundamental design work out of the equation leaving me with only the need to twist and tweak the design to my liking and then fabricate the first run pieces for these gals.

BTW "all" of the materials as presented in these pieces is for mockup purposes only and not the first run hardware that will be use. This includes the inner fender liners that are now wonderful patterns.

Takes care

Shadowman

Great photos and great write up Bill. :biggrin Did you need to replace the Four hub bolts to get some extra length to attach the shroud? Or was there enough length sticking out to mount the shroud and get nuts on them ?

Aug 25, 2006
Great photos and great write up Bill. :biggrin Did you need to replace the Four hub bolts to get some extra length to attach the shroud? Or was there enough length sticking out to mount the shroud and get nuts on them ?

Thank you and "great" question

Yes I replaced the upper 2 with OEM style 12mm 10.9 flange bolts approximately 1/4" longer and then used jam nuts.

The lower portion of the back plate is retained at the 3 OEM threaded bosses in the knuckle and they too require longer 5mm bolts.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

Here are the first run pieces now ready to be integrated

The pictures are as follows;

The custom alumium air ducts now powder coater, the hardware set out ready for final assembly, and lastly the the nose of one of the gals back in place with the closure panels in place.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC02526.JPG
    DSC02526.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC02527.JPG
    DSC02527.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC02528.JPG
    DSC02528.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC02535.JPG
    DSC02535.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC02540.JPG
    DSC02540.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE continued

Here are the custom aluminum air transition tubes that are located in the lower front portion of inner fender liner as well as the custom backing plates being fit.

All the best

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC02558.JPG
    DSC02558.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC02560.JPG
    DSC02560.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC02546.JPG
    DSC02546.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC02550.JPG
    DSC02550.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC02552.JPG
    DSC02552.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

stp69mach1

Feb 21, 2007
UK
Will you be offering a kit with instructions for sale / any idea of cost?

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
looks first class Shadow.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Wow Shadow man! Awesome work! Glad we have you in our GT family.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you "all" for the kind words; I share this project in hopes to help the next person considering such a project.

All the best

Shadowman

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Wow... Best aftermarket brake ducts I've seen and in fact, by far better than many OEM ducts, i.e. Porsche uses only a piece of plastic to scoop some cold air from underneath the car and kinda divert it towards the bottom of the rotors, Viper uses a round duct to blow towards the front of the rotor while this system "aims" the cold air right at the contact areas of the rotor. :thumbsup Even though I don't plan on tracking the car on big tracks, I still want this system, it is that good. Cheers Bill... :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Danger-Do NOT look at those open brake ducts!

Gentlemen,

I was in Shadowman's garage this morning to get my CF mirrors installed and some clear bra. The functional brake duct project looks even more impressive in person than it does in these photos. Every fabricated part is a work of art. If you see this system up close, you're toast. You will have to buy it. It's that cool. :thumbsup

I need to stop examining other members GTs as each new viewing costs me several thousand dollars! :willy :willy :willy

There's got to be a 12 step program for this. :ack

Chip

Aug 25, 2006
Gentlemen,

I was in Shadowman's garage this morning to get my CF mirrors installed and some clear bra. The functional brake duct project looks even more impressive in person than it does in these photos. Every fabricated part is a work of art. If you see this system up close, you're toast. You will have to buy it. It's that cool. :thumbsup

I need to stop examining other members GTs as each new viewing costs me several thousand dollars! :willy :willy :willy

There's got to be a 12 step program for this. :ack

Chip

Chip having you travel the distance with your gal so I can massage her a bit means a great deal to me and your comments even more; thank you.

Your gal certaily misses you but also knows that she is in good hands.

Now as for a 12 step program for retreat; there is no such a program and I will be the first to say that there never will be.

All the best

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thank you "all" for the kind words; I share this project in hopes to help the next person considering such a project.

All the best

Shadowman

HA! "The next person" considering this project WILL SIMPLY BRING HIS CAR TO YOU if he has any sense at all, Bill! :cheers