Shadowman "Another Worthy Consideration"

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Supercharged engines have been around for years. Catch cans have been put on some. My Shelby GT Kenne Bell S/C config included one, and in 8000 miles of rather spirited driving accumulated maybe half of the unit's capacity. I'm sure if you're running a very high boost under heavy loads it would matter, but for most of us it wouldn't.

I mean really, if it were a problem don't you think Ford would have put them on the cars (Ford GT, GT500) from the factory?

Someone here explained about them (and why you only need one on one side) but I can't find it in my quick search...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I mean really, if it were a problem don't you think Ford would have put them on the cars (Ford GT, GT500) from the factory?

I would think there would at least be a TB if issues were discovered after production.

OTOH, there was no TB for failed gauges. But I'd put the voltage regulator circuit in the same category as catch cans. Probably won't hurt, but no demonstrated benefit.

Not intentionally being a pessimist. Just looking for evidence.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Due to much greater numbers, I think you would find any problems on the GT500 forums, most there are true believers.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Evan Guyett prototyped an air/oil seperator for the Heffner twin-turbo GT using my car. I'm really happy with it. The standard air/oil separator will not work on a TT GT. My GT has two custom made units and they look like factory pieces. Evan Guyett is a master fabricator.

Chip

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
As BlackICE so very well explained; and I won't bore everyone with a complete dissertation of air/oil separators as there is loads of info out there on the interweb but as it pertains to the information shared here; the oil vapor that is ingested into the engine will, to varying degrees degrade performance as the oily film present on the intercooler core forms a barrier that inhibits heat transfer thus reducing it's efficiency and engine performance on both stock engines and those with pulley changes or the addition of the larger Whipple units. Additionally, oil mixed with fuel will lower the octane rating of the fuel making detonation another real possible issue especially at higher boost levels; as oil continues to be ingested, it will build up on the intake ports, backside of the intake valves, combustion chambers and over time, reduce the service life of O2 sensors and catalytic converters. The concept of Air/Oil separators is not a new one; they have been around for a long time and have been widely used on heavy duty diesel trucks and more recently, HP medium duty diesel applications such as Cummins, PowerStroke and DuraMax trucks, and of course thousands of high performance street cars. The OEM's have also started embracing them too in more recent years and you can now find them factory installed on high performance vehicles such as the new Dodge Challenger Hellcat and 1LE Camaro, etc. With the evolution of direct injection and the absence of fuel in the intake system I suspect you will see them incorporated in even greater numbers at the OE level. Our FGT Air/Oil separators are the product of several years of R&D and testing; we designed them to be a true bolt-on product and have a factory-installed look that complements the GT engine compartment. They are fully fabricated aluminum construction with CNC machined tops and fittings, OE style sight glass, precision jig-welded finished off with a black min-tex power coated finish for a perfect fit and great looks. During development we worked closely with an industry leader in oil system components manufacturing oil pans and related parts for many of the leading NHRA nitro and pro stock race teams and we have sold and installed a large number of them to date with exceedingly positive results.
FGT_AOS_001.jpg

FGT_AOS_002.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're going to have to do a pretty big dog and pony show to convince me that a few teaspoons to a few ounces of oil over a 4000 mile period is going to have any affect on operation whatsoever for a normally driven vehicle. I'll give you that track cars and high boost cars MAY be exceptions since the blow by will be concentrated over a shorter time period. Like I said my Shelby GT/SC with a Kenne Bell had one as part of the KB package and it collected a whole two ounces over 8000 miles, and much of that was rather spirited driving.

We can agree to disagree but the only ones that seem to be promoting these are the ones that make them.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
A catch can may not be an absolute necessity, but neither is a Whipple. I have both.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I often hear people say, you don't need that. I answer our country is based on wants, not needs. Everyone owns stuff that they don't need.

No one needs a FGT either.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Speak for yourself.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
^ Nicely stated!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Forgetting Maslow?

maslowsneeds.jpg

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Speak for yourself.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You just made my day Fenzo.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

I would agree, but most of the pyramid are wants in my view. I want one, and have one, so I guess I reached the top of the pyramid as we all have! :cheers

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

That is funny!!! Most people will of course shake their head when you say the name only but adding the visual they will get it.

(One of my college degrees is in pshychology... The other in physics so I also understand the cat jokes on the Big Bang Theory.)