Shadowman "Another Worthy Consideration"

Aug 25, 2006
For a long time there has been discussion regarding crankcase oil separators and whether such a need for them exist as well as options for those that feel it is.

There is no doubt that the current design of the engines requires a close crankcase system for emission reasons and then add to this the vacuum created during this close crankcase system also promotes much better sealing of the piston rings when compared to “days gone past” when we simply free aired the crankcase systems.

I have been asked many times if I feel that such a system is required for the Ford GT and my quick response has always been; no. This based largely on the fact that in my experience the amount of vapor related oil that was being drawn into the rear of the supercharger was minimal and even though it had to pass through the intercooler core the net cooling caused by this degradation was minimal.

Now there have been many cool ways presented on this Forum for those that wanted to incorporate such a device; in fact one of the leader in this arena was STORMCAT aka Brian and even when for many an issue was not evidenced the act of incorporating such a device created “peace of mind”.

Recently I had the opportunity to remove the intake from a gal with 25K miles and to my surprise the residual oil that had collected on and within the intercooler core was IMO extreme as such my thoughts have changed.

Initially I was going to create my own crankcase oil separator device however because I have worked with Evan Guyett several years on numerous projects I decided to chat with him first about the product that he and his team created. It was as the result of this conversation that I decided to incorporate his product into this gal.

The product IMO presents and integrates as if OEM, has a wonderful internal baffling system, a sight glass that appears as those on the other OEM degas tanks, is easy to drain if needed, and as a plug and play kit is reasonably priced at approximately $500.00.

With this gal having been exercised for nearly 1000 miles since it was incorporated I can attest to the fact that it works as designed and is a system and in this case a product worthy of your consideration.

Here are a couple pictures; sadly they do not show much which IMO is part of the coolness because it appears as if it could have been there since day one.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC02569.jpg
    DSC02569.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 830
  • DSC02499.jpg
    DSC02499.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 869

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
How soon are these available Bill?

Aug 25, 2006
How soon are these available Bill?

Hi Lorenzo

There are a few available at this time and more to be fabricated soon; there have been several people contact me since I opened this thread.

Call or email me and I will get one in the "Q" for you and heading your direction.

All the best

Shadowman

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Thanks for sharing your experience Bill. It's always my pleasure to work with you on your projects!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just had Evan do complete fluids and change out my dead oil pressure gauge. He emptied the oil separator and got about a 1/2 a spray can top full:

Mind you, I also have Kendall's Setrab cooler. This was only about 3K miles since it was last emptied which included the Rally IX track day and a 1/2 mile runway event. Think this pretty well demonstrates its utility even with a trans cooler.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just had Evan do complete fluids and change out my dead oil pressure gauge. He emptied the oil separator and got about a 1/2 a spray can top full:

Mind you, I also have Kendall's Setrab cooler. This was only about 3K miles since it was last emptied which included the Rally IX track day and a 1/2 mile runway event. Think this pretty well demonstrates its utility even with a trans cooler.

:agree: I have one too! :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
yep..... I'm looking for similar results when I uncover the car after the pollen stops!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
:agree: I have one too! :thumbsup

+3

................. incorporating such a device created “peace of mind”.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I, too, have this from Evan. Nice quality.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I also have one. Mod motors blow a lot of oil through the passenger side PCV hose.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I have had one for a while now and it is an easy install and looks like an original part.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
can you still get them?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
can you still get them?

Yup. Evan has a few in stock now. I'll see if I can get him to chime in on this thread.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Thanks Ed!
We have them in stock ready to ship. PM me for info

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Has there been a problem because of oil in the intercooler?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Has there been a problem because of oil in the intercooler?

Depends what you consider a problem. I would say that all of the stock cars will have oil on the intercooler fins and thus oil vapor in the combustion chamber. Two issues come to minds. First oil on the intercooler impedes heat transfer, second oil in the combustion chamber increases the chance of detonation.

If you drive like EP none of these are problems.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would consider a problem to be an actual problem. As in, has there been a problem caused by oil in the intercooler?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I would consider a problem to be an actual problem. As in, has there been a problem caused by oil in the intercooler?

If you run the car bone stock you won't have any problems. If you are trying to get the most out of the engine you may have problems. Lower heat transfer cools the intake air less, less power, you may not notice or care. Oil in the intake mean less ignition advance, less power. On a stock tune not an issue. If you tune aggressively it can be an issue.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If you run the car bone stock you won't have any problems. If you are trying to get the most out of the engine you may have problems. Lower heat transfer cools the intake air less, less power, you may not notice or care. Oil in the intake mean less ignition advance, less power. On a stock tune not an issue. If you tune aggressively it can be an issue.

So, I understand that seeing oil in the intercooler could cause one to say, wtf?

On the other hand, apparently there are no actual issues resulting from oil in the intercooler. Other than theoretical. This is what I'm asking.

In other words, my car is not stock, I drive it like it's meant to be driven, 22k miles, no issues.

I'm guessing I have oil in my intercooler. And no problems.

Since I'm a failure at the forum search function, I'm asking if there have been problems (failures) resulting from not having an oil vapor recovery system.

Or is this just in the "I don't know if it does any good, but it can't hurt" category?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't know of any failures due oil in the intakes of stock engines with stock tunes. Yes you have oil all over your intake. I did and was surprised seeing the oil there with only 1500 miles on the engine when I install the Whipple.

I ran the mile a number of times and do my own tuning, I want all of the theoretical factors in my favor. If I was on the hairy edge of detonation and a bunch of oil decided to get sucked into the cylinders I could have a BIG problem. I'm sure that Ford's stock tune is conservative so this isn't an issue if you run stock. Run a 93 octane tune fill with some less than 93 octane gas, go run the mile in the TX heat and your engine may not survive.