Serious question for guys who actually drive these cars a lot

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Some of you had the pleasure to meet Kelvin (AlohaGT) and Shelley at the Park City, UT rally. They flew in from Hawaii and stopped by our house and un-packed their (2) XXL hard-sided airline luggage into smaller, soft-sided baggage for the trek up to Monterey and then to the Rally in Utah. Only thing is that had TWO cars for their epic journey - the 12C and the Heritage. Well, when in Monterey they ended up finding a buyer for their 12C - a buyer who happened to live in Utah. They ended up delivering the 12C.... and then packing all of their "stuff" into the GT and driving the ~12 hours back to our place. They pulled directly into the shop. The first observation was that Shelley seemed packed into place. There was no room to spare! But the amazing thing is when they began un-packing the GT. It was a genuine circus-worthy act. They had the two XXL suitcases open and proceeded to remove things from the GT and packing them into the suitcases. When they were done, we had to sit on the XXL suitcases to get them to close. Who said the GT has no room? First hand, I can attest that it possible to get two people AND two XXL suitcases of clothes and toiletries into the GT. Passenger comfort? - you need to travel with a trooper!

Reactions: Cadster

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Tons of luggage room
Plus you can put suction cup hooks on the back glass Nardo and I had 4 sets of jeans and two suits behind the chairs!
Also remove the child seat bar behind the passenger seat
You can roll up another duffle bag in that space!
Gtjoey

Attachments

• 5E1FE4B2-92F6-4625-B6FA-7E3BDB547C23.jpeg
    5E1FE4B2-92F6-4625-B6FA-7E3BDB547C23.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Centerpunch, if you are going to be doing some longer road trips a consideration is the exhaust...the stock is a quiet purr until you get your foot into it. Some of the aftermarket are great for a roar around the track, but can be a brutal headache maker on a longer trip. Something to consider.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Centerpunch, if you are going to be doing some longer road trips a consideration is the exhaust...the stock is a quiet purr until you get your foot into it. Some of the aftermarket are great for a roar around the track, but can be a brutal headache maker on a longer trip. Something to consider.

Haven't driven my car much yet. It has the Ford Racing (Borla) muffler, which I know isn't nearly as loud as some other systems, but does have one or two resonant drones at certain lower RPMs. Annoying, but gonna keep it on until I spend some more time in the car.....

I do have the original big and heavy muffler if I decide to switch back to stock.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you are wrong about the Borla.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
If your Borla is droning it may have bad internal baffles, a known issue with the early version. Good Borlas don't drone at any rpm. Love mine, especially on long trips.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I think you are wrong about the Borla.
If your Borla is droning it may have bad internal baffles, a known issue with the early version. Good Borlas don't drone at any rpm. Love mine, especially on long trips.

Agreed. I have the Borla muffler and headers.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now we're out in the 'burbs with the world's smallest 3-car garage- 20x28

Builders these days must assume everyone drives cars no bigger than a BMW Mini or the like.

At best, all the new homes advertised as having "double car garages" that I've seen for at least a couple of decades now have actually had one-and-a-half car garages. Park a 21" rotary lawnmower beside one of those cars and it instantly becomes a one car garage...even if both cars are Minis. Good luck putting storage cabinets in 'em anywhere and still being able to claim "two car" status.

The three car detached garage I had built was "code-limited" to 800 sq ft...so it measures 32 x 25...and that's been proven to be too small
overall...buuut, I knew it would be before I had it built. 'Figured 50% of something would be better than 100% of nothing...and it has been. I thank God above for double and single-wide lifts though. 'No problem putting 6 cars in there as I'd originally planned.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have the full length Borla/FRPP headers and baby mufflers.

I did a 1300 mile non-stop trip and was never bothered by the exhaust. If anything, I could have used cruise control from time to time.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
66Kmi on mine.

First, as to how to stuff the car, most everyone else has covered that, but I'll add one more hidey-hole. If you don't have the trans oil cooler, the space ahead of the right rear wheel gives you about 1 cu.ft. to stash tools, bottles of oil, jack stand, towels, shoes, spare parts, etc. If you want to put clothes in there, put them in a plastic bag first, because it can get a little damp if driving in rain.

Second, on the Borla/Ford Racing muffler: I carefully compared the sound from the stock OE to the Borla. The Borla does make more noise including at highway cruising speed. I wouldn't call it a drone or resonance, more like a "tone," but it does make more sound than the stock can, which is pretty quiet at cruise. I've driven all day with it multiple times and don't find it annoying over the long haul. WAAAYY better than any of the cross pipes, which would drive me nuts.

As discussed elsewhere, none of the cat-back exhaust mods will net you power. The only reason to change is you want more sound. To get a power increase out of exhaust changes, you must remove the cats, which brings another set of problems.