Serious peace of mind with upgraded halfshaft bolts...

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Well, chalk another one up.
Ford GT customer service confirmed I had the non-hardened washers. I ordered the bolts through my local deal and brought my car in this morning.

Driver side was super tight and the bolts had not backed out. After removing the 2 bolts the tech noticed the washer was seriously warped from over-torquing. In my case the bolts were over-torqued and it was probably just a matter of time before I had the failure. Same on the passenger side.

If you have non-hardened washers, get the upgrade kit asap. Most likely the bolts will either be too loose or too tight, but in either case they can only be used once so it will require the upgrade kit and should be covered under warranty.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
If you have non-hardened washers, get the upgrade kit asap. .

Sorry if this was addressed in earlier posts !
How do we know "if I have non-hardened washers"?

2006 GT #1108:confused

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
The GT Guys told me that the hardened washers are black, and the non-hardened are silver.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The GT Guys told me that the hardened washers are black, and the non-hardened are silver.

Exactly correct. I had my changed Saturday, and so did Black Ice, both of our washers were concaved and destined to fail.

This is a serious issue.

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
warranty covered this?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
GTNJ - you won't know until you take the component out.

Hard washers are black, soft are silver.

I had mine changed months ago when the first reports here of half shaft problems were made. Didn't cost much to do and gives peace of mind.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had a dealer lined up to do the job under warranty, but he couldn't get any parts. So I paid to get it done by the GT Guys. Who knows how long I would have waited before the dealer gets the parts. If my car broke down it would be out of service for how long before the parts came in?

If a product of service is priced very attractively or free, but the transaction timeframe is unknown, then its a not deal.

If you give me $100, I will sell you an option to buy my GT for only $5000 at some unknown date in the future. The chosen date is my sole discretion, or the discretion of any future title holder of the GT.

Any takers?

BTY, both of my washer were silver colored and concaved. The car is an 05 with a 1715 vin.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
warranty covered this?

Nope, cost me $355, but they are safety wired. Only one of my silver washers were concaved, but two bolts were loose.

I have yet to bring my car to a dealer for anything. I am 1153 and an '05

Hey Mr. Ice, sorry, but I have to take a flyer on your offer, you crack me up.:lol

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I knew it was to good to be true that 4 days could have gone by without a halfshaft post:biggrin dbk can you post my camillo pictures now :thumbsup thanks gtjoey

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I knew it was to good to be true that 4 days could have gone by without a halfshaft post:biggrin dbk can you post my camillo pictures now :thumbsup thanks gtjoey

HELLO BABY, SWEETIE, BOOBALA... GOTTA SEE THAT PICTURE:thumbsup WHY YOU HIDING IT:frown YOU MAD AT US OR WHAT:biggrin :lol :biggrin WE LOVE YAH BABY...

But, seriously, this problem is much bigger than I ever thought it might be.
Lets not dismiss it. I saw for myself, and spoke to THE GT GUYS about it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Warranty coverage

Just for "ha-ha's", I sent an email inquiry to Ford asking if they'll cover the PREEMPTIVE replacement of the 1/2 shaft bolts under warranty.

'Just DUCK, DODGE, AND DOULBE TALK answers of the "form letter" variety so far (2 of them). So, I just sent a THIRD email about 10 minutes ago requesting a simple, straight, direct, "yes" or "no" answer to that question... 'cause I'm a "simple" kinda guy.

It's a telling sign of the times when corporations feel they can't give a DIRECT answer to ANYTHING...

E.P.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Was there a specific VIN # when all the washers were "hardened" ?:confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No one is talking. A number of us have tried to get answers, but to no avail.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Has it ever occurred to anyone why ford would go through all the expense of replacing all the A arms when only one cracked yet will not make good on these bolts and washers when more and more failures have been and will be reported!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Has it ever occurred to anyone why ford would go through all the expense of replacing all the A arms when only one cracked yet will not make good on these bolts and washers when more and more failures have been and will be reported!

Please explain your theory Gene. We know that the former executives from the GT program monitor this site.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
One way you can look at it is I heard when they replaced the control arms it took the profits out of the GT program. At zero profit already, in a company that is faced with as many changes and challenges as FORD, every situation like this would likely be scrutinized. Also take into account that many people changed it out on their own anyway (at their own expense), which is mimizing the issue and costs as well. Not to say that I agree with this approach, but just a thought...

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It is all about cost vs. risk. The risk of a serious accident with just one broken control arm could cost Ford millions of dollars. The likelihood of a accident from a loose halfshaft becoming a huge liability is much less. So Ford won't do anything about it.

The best of bean counters at work. That is one reason why Ford is in such big financial trouble, bean counters don't have a passion for building cars people want to buy and they don't think far enough ahead about how customer satisfaction affects long term sales.

Remember the old Ford commercials "Quality is Job One." They never run that one again, people would just laugh.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes Mr. Ice, I concur, since we both spent $355 each to fix ours last week.:confused
I could just see the grease monkeys at Lithia Ford working on my GT....not:thumbsdow

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Was there a specific VIN # when all the washers were "hardened" ?:confused

This bolt issue is not according to VIN No., but has to do when Ricardo did the tranny. As in any low production vehicle, parts are interchanged as they are needed. ALL of these bolts should be replaced in ALL of the cars. The ramifications if they aren't, could be disasterous. FORD, you are on notice now.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This bolt issue is not according to VIN No., but has to do when Ricardo did the tranny. As in any low production vehicle, parts are interchanged as they are needed. ALL of these bolts should be replaced in ALL of the cars. The ramifications if they aren't, could be disasterous. FORD, you are on notice now.

You are 100% correct, however, they are not moving off square one.