Serious peace of mind with upgraded halfshaft bolts...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
E.P. -
There were no symptoms at all that I noticed before the bolts failed. No unusual sound, rattle, or vibration. Just a sudden loss of power to the rear wheels, although the engine continued to rev well in any gear. I didn't notice any fluid leak prior to the failure, either. By the way, the two replacement washers and four bolts that are the main problem came from the U.K. (which likely means from Ricardo). And, like Bony said, if the transaxles were assembled separately and shipped in batches from Ricardo, you may not be able to determine which cars were affected by following VIN numbers.

Thanks, Hammer.

Anyone else mebbe see an oil leak first?:shrug

It's just puzzling to me how the heck the hub could be dancing back & forth on the splines w/o some amount of fluid sneaking out past the seals! ( Then again, maybe I don't have the proper picture of how the unit goes together either...after all, we all know I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

E.P.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Another Reason

I had my half shaft bolts and washers upgraded [and safety wired] as a “PRECAUTIONARY” procedure.

There had been NO FAILURE.

For the record mine GT, DID have the HARDENED WASHERS.

HOWEVER; it ALSO had the transaxle oil leak as described in the TBS 05-10-13 Bulletin [see attached] on BOTH half-shafts.

The leak was not leaking out of the rubber half-shaft boots, so it was not evident, BUT would have become an issue over time.

In my humble opinion, ANYONE who does not have this upgrade/procedure done to their machine is being penny wise while being pound foolish.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Fred

Attachments

• TSB 05-10-13.doc
    79 KB · Views: 104

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good answer Spirit! You can't go by the VIN number, but each transmission has a serial number that you have to give to the hotline. It's on the top of the tranny. Look at some of the old posts concerning this with pictures.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good answer Spirit! You can't go by the VIN number, but each transmission has a serial number that you have to give to the hotline. It's on the top of the tranny. Look at some of the old posts concerning this with pictures.

I asked the "Cold line" today about giving 'em the tranny 'number, yada yada & was told "Ppppppppppppppht! to you!". THE GAL SAID THERE WAS NO LIST TO CHECK.

And 'round & 'round we go ...............

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
[F

[F my humble opinion, ANYONE who does not have this upgrade/procedure done to their machine is being penny wise while being pound foolish.[/FONT]

[F my 2 cents worth.[/FONT]

[F

Could not agree with you more. Pretty serious issue, and owners and Ford are sticking their heads in the sand.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I asked the "Cold line" today about giving 'em the tranny 'number, yada yada & was told "Ppppppppppppppht! to you!". THE GAL SAID THERE WAS NO LIST TO CHECK.

And 'round & 'round we go ...............

E.P.

As the GT GUYS said, Ford has no clue where these washers are installed and not. End of story.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As the GT GUYS said, Ford has no clue where these washers are installed and not. End of story.

I hear yuh, Bony. 'Have asked Rich @ "GT GUYs" to send me a set of his "wired" bolts when he gets 'em back in stock. (Thanks for his contact info again, by the way!)

I'll be DEAD B4 Ford moves on this ....

E.P.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I called the HOT LINE and gave the gal my VIN ... she told me there were no recalls and no issues with my car. I guess I can rest easy now. I was able to drive GT for the first time this past weekend, put a hundred miles on it - so far so good. I'm taking it to the local Ford dealer after Christmas to make arrangements to get the axle bolts replaced.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
HELLO BABY, SWEETIE, BOOBALA... GOTTA SEE THAT PICTURE:thumbsup WHY YOU HIDING IT:frown YOU MAD AT US OR WHAT:biggrin :lol :biggrin WE LOVE YAH BABY...

But, seriously, this problem is much bigger than I ever thought it might be.
Lets not dismiss it. I saw for myself, and spoke to THE GT GUYS about it.

7200 miles......pulled out of my driveway. Stopped..put my car in neutral to adjust my seatbelt...shifted back to 1st....no go....WAITING ON ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"no go"

7200 miles......pulled out of my driveway. Stopped..put my car in neutral to adjust my seatbelt...shifted back to 1st....no go....WAITING ON ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

At least you were NEAR your driveway.

E.P.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bummer buddy. Better there than on the road to Dearborn or Indy.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I called the HOT LINE and gave the gal my VIN ... she told me there were no recalls and no issues with my car. I guess I can rest easy now. I was able to drive GT for the first time this past weekend, put a hundred miles on it - so far so good. I'm taking it to the local Ford dealer after Christmas to make arrangements to get the axle bolts replaced.

I CALLED THE HOTLINE, THEY TOLD ME SANTA IS DEPARTING THE NORTH POLE, I AM CLEANING THE CHIMNEY, BAKING COOKIES AND GETTING THE WARM MILK OUT. TONIGHTS THE NIGHT. MERRY CHRISTMAS.... and get those bolts changed and safety wired.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ok now I am worried. I did e-mail the GT Guys but no response. I will try phone tag tommorrow. Love my new found horse power! climbs like a raped ape from 150 and beyond.:willy