Serious Damaged GT on IAAI asking 165K

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
IAAI has a GT that didn't meet reserve at approximately 137,000. It is currently at 120 and they are asking 165,000.

Am I missing something, how can this make financial sense. I haven't really looked at the price of parts lately, if the value is from parts.

I am assuming this car could be repaired, but the left fender looks destroyed as well as the drivers door and the clamshell.

Certainly 50,000 plus in damage repair. How could it be worth (165 plus at least 5k in fees and 50k in repairs) = 220,000.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Do you have the link so we can see the car?

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
btw its 10% buyer fees on this car. 137 was all the money for this car. It is dealer owned not an insurance company.. Someone is really gonna have to want it to pay that type of money and its not gonna bring it imo..

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
At the end of last year, several salvage title fixed cars sold in the $175-180k area....now most of these cars had 10k or less miles, this one is at 20k miles.

Now the market has increased, so this may now have a value of $185k fixed or so.

Reactions: tpraceman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It’s only worth good money fixed if is fixed by Rich Brooks. Just my 02

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I know most of the local Tungsten GTs in Phoenix but none of them had over 20k miles. Not sure this car originated from Phoenix AZ. Odd how front fender got damaged on top. At least it was not the classic front end hit with all the potential hidden damage to cast aluminum.

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
I've been following that one closely too as I really need parts to finish my build. There was a white one with front end damage on Copart that went for $137k cracked castings and all. I don't get it. I was ready to dig deep and offer $100k on it, but didn't even get to step up to the plate. At this point, maybe I'll sell my project!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Very curious, especially as its noted in your signature, and avatar..... Can you elaborate on your "project"?

At this point, maybe I'll sell my project!

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
I'm building a 2006 right now. So far I have the painted and prepped frame, engine, trans, steering, body panels, etc, etc. Bunch of parts. I really need all of the little loose parts and the interior. I kicked around retrofitting a modern mustang interior and electrical system, but I'm not there yet. It would make a cool restomod GT. Anyway, Its frustrating not being able to find parts. The control arm bushings are impossible to find and I've actually reverse engineered them with polyurethane instead of rubber. I have some other members that are planning on using them as well. When I am good and ready, I will share with the forum what I've come up with and make them available to anyone who wants to renew/replace their suspension bushings.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Would enjoy seeing your project!

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
roketman I'll post some pictures later

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
Ok, so heres the scoop on my project. I started with a new frame from Ford SN 4109.
IMG_1913.jpeg

The idea was to build a widebody GT with some modern enhancements. I have the widebody panels that are shown in this picture. For those of you that might recognize it, it is the Ray Hoffman car. I'm not loving the wide air dam in the front and will probably trim it down a little when the time comes. The car is a total of 8" wide than a stock GT and other than changing the control arms, Everything else is "Bolt on" to the factory chassis.
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Over time I have been collecting a pile of parts, and have a lot of the drivetrain. Here is where I'm at today. The fuel tank, engine and transmission are currently installed. You can see that the chassis has been painted the right color in the right places. I did this in case I decided to scrap the widebody idea and make it a spec car.
60178228765__EEF521EF-524C-4DA7-8651-531439CAFFBA.jpg

The control arms have been difficult to get. New ones are becoming scarce and are very expensive. Since the bushings are the key to mounting the control arms and not sold as a separate part, I spent a good amount of time reverse engineering the bushings first. The ones in my hand are a similar to stock durometer andare polyurethane. I am currently working on the lower bushings now.
60391869981__41C5DF1D-6100-4D09-A34A-B234535D4314.jpg

This picture shows my replacement "stock" upper control arm with stiffer bushings (I used Blue for these) and experimented with different loads on the control arm to compare to the stock rubber bushings. Blue was way too stiff BTW.
60694452703__453ABF0C-52AE-49C1-B93C-ADC17AE576B6.jpg

I have a zillion pictures, but don't want to bore anyone. As I continue to make progress, I'll post. In the meantime, If anyone has some parts, or a wreck, please keep me in mind. I'm also happy to answer any questions along the way.

-Mike

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
NOT possible to bore this group! Thanks for the pix. You have made a lot of progress. Are you planing to sell the control arm bushings?

Many of us were there when Ray introduced that car at NOLA.

it is the Ray Hoffman car.

I have a zillion pictures, but don't want to bore anyone.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
At 8” wider than stock, it literally wouldn’t fit in my garage, or on a few of the Texas farm roads. Amazing project, big $$$$

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thanks for sharing. We all enjoy seeing updates on projects. Those are some robust control arms. Look to be machined billet style. FYI, Fran at Race Car Replicas has engineered several parts that might be able to be used for your project. He makes a kit car called the GT-R. I know that "H" on this Forum has remade some tail lights that you can use for your project. PM me for his contact info.

Last edited:

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
Specracer, yes I will definitely sell the bushings as a kit. I expect to have them available in the next 4 weeks.

Reactions: Specracer

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
seems that that is the main problem with the 05-06 GTs impossibility of easily sourcing parts. FOOLISHLY when I purchased mine from the dealer in south western Virginia, It was about the same price as Porsche Turbo, so I thought here is a good driver I can have fun with and keep for awhile and just take a depreciation hit. Also it is a Ford, so should be easy to always get parts for. BOY was I mistaken!!! Cars went through the roof value wise, parts impossible to find easily, and now I cannot drive it for the fear of not being able to fix it if it is damaged, and crippling the value of the car if it is ever damaged, and even service parts are hard to find (like rear clamshell struts). Bottom line is I should have purchased the turbo (NOT LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Specracer, yes I will definitely sell the bushings as a kit. I expect to have them available in the next 4 weeks.
Count me in please on the bushing kit please!
Thanks
And yes keep the pictures coming! We love this kinda stuff!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I too would be interested in the bushing kit.

QSS